Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-28-2016, 08:25 PM

3,974 posts, read 4,260,829 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen88 View Post
I recall reading somewhere that in the early 1900s, doctors laughed at the idea of washing their hands between delivering babies.
You might find this interesting reading: The Doctor Who Championed Hand-Washing And Briefly Saved Lives : Shots - Health News : NPR
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2016, 08:38 PM

6,639 posts, read 4,576,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DitsyD View Post
My parents didn't pay one red cent towards my wedding and I didn't even ask my father to walk me down the aisle.
ok, so we agree you decided to go against tradition.

Old 11-28-2016, 09:42 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,883,248 times
I have so many it is ridiculous. I hope I am not repeating too much.

1. Parents and grandparents: Don't split the pole! This means everyone in the group needs to walk on the same side of the pole, car blockage, railing, in the same door and everywhere else or it'll split up the relationship.

2. Mom: No hats on the table, it is bad luck

3. Mom, Grandma: Don't open an umbrella inside, it is bad luck.

4. Mom: This one is complicated. On New Year's Day, the first visitor to your home must be a man. Now I can't remember why. And women have to be accompanied by men on New Year's Day, until the first visitors have come by. Residents of the home are excepted. So this means my mom's sister can't come in until her husband (or my dad) enters the house, leaves, then walks her in. I have no clue where this one comes from.

5. Mom: If your hand itches it means you are getting money. I can never remember which hand it is.

6. Mom: If you get grey hair when you are young (aka under 30) it means you will be lucky. Well my first grey popped up at 18 so we will see.

7. Grandma: Turn off all the lights when there is lightening and thunder. This was later modified to leave anything on that was on when the storm started, but you couldn't turn on anything new.

Old 11-28-2016, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
Don't play like you're blind (closing your eyes and walking), or you really will go blind.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robino1 View Post
"If you keep making that face, it will freeze that way."

If you sit too close to the TV you will go blind.
Yes! I remember all off these!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by daynet View Post
If you are eating watermelon, and accidentally swallow a seed, there will soon be a watermelon growing in your belly!

Me late sainted mother always hit me with this one, too.

If you make a face (nasty, joking, or otherwise) and the wind changes, your face will stay that way.
Oh and this applied to apples too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
There was a cemetery less than a mile from by grandparent's house so we saw a lot of funeral processions.

My grandmother told us we shouldn't count the cars because it would bring bad luck.
Thank you for reminding me. You weren't supposed to breathe around a cemetery when driving by a cemetery because you might swallow a spirit'

Oh and don't walk on a grave, because you'll get possessed!

Old 11-28-2016, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
My dearly departed grandmother told me rubbing Vicks on my chest would cure colds faster. I have no idea if it's true, but I use it to this day. It reminds me of her, and her memory cures much of what ails me, no matter what it is
I do this too! The menthol makes you feel better.

Old 11-28-2016, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Praline View Post
My paternal grandmother would tell us that:

Drinking coffee when you were a child would make your skin dark and/or stunt your growth;
Never put your purse on the floor because you would be poor all year (okay, I still won't set my purse on the floor);
Never sweep the dust/dirt straight out the front door because you would sweep out the good luck as well;

If you went to the beach and got in the water during your period, sharks would smell blood and swim directly towards you.
Oh I heard the bolded ones!

Old 11-28-2016, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabogitlu View Post
I grew up in a previously very insular culture (Southern Appalachia) that has still held on to a lot of its beliefs.

If you dream about crossing water, there will be an illness in your family.
If your ears are burning, someone is talking about you.
Paint the ceiling of your front porch blue (we called it 'haint blue') to keep the spirits away from your house.
Pick a bunch of grass, wrap one long strand around the bunch and hold it in your pocket to keep sickness away.
Eating black eyed peas, hog jaws and collard greens on New Year's day to bring good luck all year.
If you sweep after the sun goes down, you'll never be rich.
If you look in a mirror held over a spring, you will see the face of the person you will marry.
A horse shoe hung upside down (open side to the top) over top a door will keep away spirits and evil spells.
Big crops of nuts means a severe winter is coming. So do woolly worms with a connected black pattern on their backs.

That's just a few of the old beliefs. We also kept many of the plantlore traditions alive and there are many notions of certain plants and their healing properties. Some of these are truthful (making a tea from squaw corn -- probably not a PC term, but I don't know another name for it -- will help relieve symptoms associated with menstruation), some probably aren't.

There were also some less than nice beliefs. One that springs to mind is that people of color were non-white due to being descendents of Ham, who was cursed in the Christian Bible for seeing his father naked. (Very weird, but I have friends that grew up in conservative parts of Utah where folks believed the same thing.)
I have the bolded ones as well...my parents are from the rural Carolinas! (I'm black)

Old 11-28-2016, 10:03 PM

2,851 posts, read 4,522,770 times
got a bump on your tongue? you peed in the road

Old 11-28-2016, 11:43 PM

7,542 posts, read 17,238,441 times
Quote:
I have the bolded ones as well...my parents are from the rural Carolinas! (I'm black)

Cool. I'm from northeast Tennessee, about an hour away from Asheville, North Carolina and a little farther from upstate South Carolina. Nice to meet you.

Old 11-29-2016, 12:18 AM

88,586 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
Don't play like you're blind (closing your eyes and walking), or you really will go blind.
Ha, that reminded me, if we made faces at our siblings--"If the clock strikes one, your face will stay that way."

I know they didn't actually believe that one, though. They just wanted us to believe it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships