Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2016, 12:54 PM

5,346 posts, read 9,857,902 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
He is 6ft 5in,so he carries it "well"

That is still a BMI of over 70% and morbidly obese.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2016, 12:56 PM

1,054 posts, read 1,428,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf39us View Post
OP, this^^^. $42 and the problem is solved. It's not even that bad looking.

Old 11-30-2016, 12:59 PM

13,496 posts, read 18,195,836 times
Quote:
What would be the proper way?

There is this 600 pound relative I have who visits but I am holding my breath every time they sit on my kitchen chairs.

How would you handle it,without hurting feelings?
I cannot imagine a kitchen chair safely holding a six hundred pound person. My god, if the chair broke the person could easily badly damage their spine. I would be petrified that there was going to be a serious accident.

Does this person ordinarily use an everyday kitchen chair at home?

Old 11-30-2016, 01:12 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,642,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
I call BS. A 600lb person cannot fit in in a car. They are functionally housebound.

Actually they can. When I first moved to Southern CA in the late 80s a friend told me their friend Michelle was coming over and warned me(so I wasn't shocked) she weighs about 600 pounds. She did, and she drove over in a big car from the early 70s with the seat all the way back(and maybe even customized).

She was so obese that her breathing was labored just sitting(and yes it was a couch, not a kitchen chair), very sweet person, and actually quite pretty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvvarkansas View Post
I had a friend who was 700 lbs. He sat on my brand-new couch, ruined one cushion -- smashed it flat and it never recovered. I got a replacement cushion (couch was under warranty), and got an older, wide chair for him to sit in the next time. We guided him to the chair and he was on his way to sitting, then he popped up and said, "I can't do it, I'm afraid I won't fit and I'll break it." Well, the thing was really wide and had low arms, and was pretty old, so we didn't really care if he broke it, as we had gotten it for free (and we told him all that). So he ended up on the couch again and ruined another cushion, which I was never able to have replaced. I ended up having a couch with one cushion lower than the other for 20 years.

Once he sat on a bench that went with my dining table...he put so much weight on it that he left the imprint of his pants in the finish.

This is a real problem these days with so many grossly overweight people around...some of us can't afford to be replacing furniture every time some relative comes over and breaks it. People who are that obese should get a clue and either don't go to other people's houses or bring their own seating. Later on in his life my friend was given a huge, folding chair to take with him when he visited people. I'm not sure if he used it a lot or not, but it's something obese people should think about.

Btw, my 700-lb friend died instantly at age 53 when his heart just stopped. He was a great guy, but hard on furniture, for sure.
I am sorry for the loss of your friend.

But your story about you couch was like something out of a sitcom. True life can be stranger than fiction and often more amusing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevxu View Post
I cannot imagine a kitchen chair safely holding a six hundred pound person. My god, if the chair broke the person could easily badly damage their spine. I would be petrified that there was going to be a serious accident.

Does this person ordinarily use an everyday kitchen chair at home?
That's what I would worry about. They're injured and are you liable? What if they can't be moved and you hear "they need to be on home healthcare in your house for the next 2 months".

Old 11-30-2016, 01:21 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,879,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf39us View Post
I have one of those chairs. It's very sturdy. I used it for seated exercise when I was at the beginning of my weight loss efforts. It's also good for standing on when you're trying to hang curtains or something like that and you're too lazy to bring the ladder in from the garage.

Because the chair has no arms, it's got room for overhang and a very large person can sit in it without feeling like a sausage stuffed into a too small bun.

Buy one. It's only $40 and it's for the father of your children, who is important to the children even if he's no longer important to you. You're showing them that you're willing to make sure he's comfortable when he visits.

It also makes a good extra seat for average sized people when you have lots of guests over...I set my chair in the living room when we have company and there's nothing about it that screams "fat person seat" so everyone is comfortable using it. It has a lot of cushion.

Old 11-30-2016, 01:48 PM

10,225 posts, read 7,587,698 times
Quote:
What would be the proper way?

There is this 600 pound relative I have who visits but I am holding my breath every time they sit on my kitchen chairs.

How would you handle it,without hurting feelings?
You either have chairs that will accommodate the size of your guests, or you don't. If you don't, you don't invite them over. It's that simple.

I would NEVER tell someone not to sit in one of my chairs. They know to avoid wicker and low chairs. They will head for the widest, sturdiest looking chairs.

Kitchen chairs aren't very comfortable. Is this for the meal that you all are going to sit on those chairs? So that it's not for a very long time?

I'm sure the person has faced this issue before, and may even suggest dragging one of the LR chairs to the dining table, if he thinks your chair won't be appropriate.

Kindness is never a mistake. Chairs can be repaired inexpensively.

Old 11-30-2016, 02:03 PM

10,225 posts, read 7,587,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
I have one of those chairs. It's very sturdy. I used it for seated exercise when I was at the beginning of my weight loss efforts. It's also good for standing on when you're trying to hang curtains or something like that and you're too lazy to bring the ladder in from the garage.

Because the chair has no arms, it's got room for overhang and a very large person can sit in it without feeling like a sausage stuffed into a too small bun.

Buy one. It's only $40 and it's for the father of your children, who is important to the children even if he's no longer important to you. You're showing them that you're willing to make sure he's comfortable when he visits.

It also makes a good extra seat for average sized people when you have lots of guests over...I set my chair in the living room when we have company and there's nothing about it that screams "fat person seat" so everyone is comfortable using it. It has a lot of cushion.
Excellent idea.

Old 11-30-2016, 04:21 PM

48,534 posts, read 34,863,037 times
If I weighed 600 lbs I would bring my own chair. I wouldn't risk breaking other people's stuff and risk injury.

That just seems like common courtesy.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 11-30-2016, 04:35 PM

10,746 posts, read 26,026,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
I call BS. A 600lb person cannot fit in in a car. They are functionally housebound.
So not true...maybe if they were as short as they were round, but not all 600lbers look like those on TV.

Some actually can walk, work and 'function', but don't live very long. I had a co worker who was over 600lbs and dropped dead, at age 33, on his bedroom floor after an 8 hr shift. He was HUGE...but he could walk. He actually drove a small car and we were amazed at how he fit his 6'8 ft 600 lbs body in it. He worked a full-time job that required him to be on his feet more often than not so he wasn't homebound or close to it.

We knew his weight because he told us and a few months earlier he had to have tests and couldn't' use our in house machines because he was too big. We also had to order him a speciality bed and special gowns...this guy was huge..nice as hell, but couldn't control his eating. Very sad...very, very sad.

Old 11-30-2016, 04:42 PM

3,239 posts, read 3,543,464 times
Quote:
Here is more info about the OP

The relative is my ex husband and father to my children,so he visits about 8 times a month.

I actually have IKEA furniture in my home-yeah i know,cheap! But i do love modern furniture,and I love Ikea furniture.
Except it is not cheap for me,because I receive nothing from him,because he has nothing.He does not work,I guess because he is too big.Then again,he never worked trough our marriage either,which is why we are divorced in the first place.

Even though he technically can break the furniture(esp the Ikea dining chairs I have) I also worry about the sweat. The guys sweats a LOT!

He drives his Mom's Cadillac Escalade.
So what did you do when he lived with you? Presumably he hasn't gained all that weight since you split.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships