Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-01-2016, 06:41 AM

4,413 posts, read 3,472,468 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
You claim this is a fat bashing thread but then you make comments that are fat shaming.

A 600 pound,6ft 5in guy can move around,but that depends on height and weight distribution.

I am obese myself,maybe morbidly obese at 214 pounds and 5 ft 7in.
OK. so if you think you're morbidly obese as well, think about what would be a fair way for someone to approach YOU about sitting on furniture, and do that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2016, 06:49 AM

5,624 posts, read 6,844,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
Um, no you are not. You might be chunky, but you are not obese.
actually its defined by:
If your BMI is 25.0 to <30, it falls within the overweight range.
If your BMI is 30.0 or higher, it falls within the obese range.

( give or take mattering on your Drs exact numbers)

Old 12-01-2016, 06:59 AM

4,640 posts, read 11,937,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post
Truly a wise and civil commentary!

We have various chairs for the Little ones and the ones who are handicapped. (Knee problems make getting up from a sitting position a challenge).

I am realistic in different statures of humans. I accomodate when they visit.

I recall my mom who was wheelchair bound, we went to visit for a family bridal shower. The lady hosting was by far rude .To her, my moms chair was a hazard to her floors and her room setup. She didn't consider her words and her actions. We left feeling so unwelcomed. Floors can be swept, rooms can be cleaned....but offensive remarks take longer to recover from. The sad thing of it is...some folks say...well we paid good money for those floors! And I often say...and how much did you pay for your manners?
Things can be fixed....peoples hearts....not so easy.
That is horribly rude. I totally agree with your posts.

I can honestly say that I do not own one single thing worth more than any guest in my home. In fact, I specifically buy things to make others comfortable. I make an effort to have a guest's favorite food or wine. It's just a lovely thing to do. When people feel comfortable enough to hang out and laugh and talk----it's a wonderful day, imo.

Old 12-01-2016, 07:00 AM

7,275 posts, read 5,285,135 times
I've said it and provided a chair for that person which can withstand the weight. She's broken two chairs in the past in my house, and can only imagine her embarrassment.

Old 12-01-2016, 07:01 AM

3,639 posts, read 3,340,370 times
A $30-$40 chair that I posted is all you need. He's comfy, you're not nervous about your stuff. Win-Win

Old 12-01-2016, 07:08 AM

1,478 posts, read 1,514,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
Um, no you are not. You might be chunky, but you are not obese.
Actually they are not too far from being morbidly obese, I am the same height and was the same weight until losing a lot because of a medical condition. I am still in the overweight category at 180lbs even though there's no way I could really lose any more weight without taking some drastic measures.

Old 12-01-2016, 08:54 AM

516 posts, read 429,513 times
All of these responses about not being cruel, rude, mean, humiliating the obese family member.....umm last time I checked, its not anyone else problem if your too big to use furniture intended to be used by average or slightly above average weight people.

If your obese, its your problem and you should accept whatever day to day challenges come your way. Not saying its ok to be rude or cruel or anything like that, but what else is someone supposed to say to someone like that if they don't want their furniture broken? Are they supposed to spare the obese persons feelings and just allow them to possibly bust their chairs? No, I do not think so.

I have told several people that have came into my home (who weren't obese) that I didn't want them sitting on my furniture because their clothes were: smelly OR had tons of pet hair all over them OR dirty clothes OR the person just looked like a druggie. Sorry, not sorry, but if I bought something with my hard earned money, dang right I'm going to ensure it lasts.

By the way, the afore mentioned people that I said came into my home were "tag-a-longs" with other people that I invited over. I had no idea the "tag-a-longs" were coming until they showed up......

Old 12-01-2016, 09:04 AM

10,196 posts, read 9,886,399 times
Well how about off setting the "sweat" issue (as that is what you said concerned you most) with the fact that your ex sees his kids 8 times a month. And that apparently you can stand each other enough to be in the same house for some period of time. Think about how many moms would trade places with you.

People suggested ideas. I think you know what the right thing to do is in your heart.

Old 12-01-2016, 10:16 AM

4,901 posts, read 8,755,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagemomma View Post
Invite them to sit on the sofa, serve snacks on the coffee table, ask them if you can bring them a drink.
They will ruin a sofa, too....see my posts above.

Old 12-01-2016, 10:18 AM

4,901 posts, read 8,755,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
I wonder if this thread is a ruse to pick on fat people. Six hundred pound people don't move around much and dont go visit much. Probably more like four hundred but that not really the point. Get a sturdy chair and keep your piehole closed.
Wrong....see my posts above on my 700-lb friend.

He DID go visit much, as he was a pastor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships