Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2016, 01:54 PM

4,901 posts, read 8,749,963 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hannahwh456 View Post
Yes that seems to be how this works. When my mom asked her to just be civil for the sake of the family she said that she would never speak to me again unless I apologise. My mom hasn't even asked me to apologise because she thinks I shouldn't have to.
Well, it's good that your mom is at least a little bit reasonable about the whole thing and is not blaming or shaming you. That would make your situation a lot worse.

Old 12-08-2016, 07:09 PM

1,659 posts, read 1,255,702 times
At this point, I don't think it has anything to do with the bed situation anymore. The only reason you're still getting the silent treatment 10 months later, is because you haven't apologized to her. That's it. That's the ONLY reason. You apologizing gives her the ultimate power over you--and that's exactly what's she's waiting for. She's pissed that someone finally stood up to her, and she wants to take that control back.

Don't apologize. Don't worry about what's going on with her and her boyfriend. Be indifference to any reference to her life. Because if you give in and apologize, then you're no different than you're parents. So...be strong and don't enable bad behavior. You can't change how she acts, but you can change how you let it affect you.

Old 12-10-2016, 10:58 PM

1,830 posts, read 1,428,905 times
I have a sister this way. Also had to deal with a lot of narcissists in my professional life. I do not lose any sleep over their antics, ever.

The key to spiking their fun is do not react. Utter indifference is the worst thing a narcissist can face.

If you want to mess with narcissists, smile mysteriously at random times. Never say anything, just smile. It sets off their paranoia and they start doing really stupid stuff. Ignore it. Eventually, they avoid you, because you won't give them what they want. Makes for far more peaceful working environments and family gatherings.

I have thoroughly enjoyed messing with narcissists for years now, and it requires absolutely no action on my part - just an occasional smile.

Old 12-11-2016, 01:09 AM

3,068 posts, read 1,679,759 times
OP: I'm on the same page with those who think you should spend Christmas doing something else. You can tell yourself to keep a stiff upper lip, grin 'n' bear it, and all that jazz. But if you have to self-peptalk yourself the whole time you're there then you're not going to enjoy it, anyway.

Go where Christmas is exciting, or spend it with friends. Lots of options.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships