Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-14-2016, 12:39 PM

22 posts, read 18,142 times

Advertisements

There is no written contract between me and my roommate explaining rent and what to do when one of us moves out. My roommate has an agreement to pay 1100 a month rent to the landlord and I am paying my roommate $450 out of that $1100 for rent. Utilities are included in my rent.

I've been there 9 months and I want to move out mainly because my roommate fails to discipline his 3 kids.
I'm thinking 4 months is enough time but honestly I doubt he would find anyone to live in the bedroom I'm renting. First I was his first last and only (sucker) choice and without someone giving him rent he can't afford to live in the house and he and his kids might have to pack up and move into a house their dad can afford.

But that's not my problem because I'm 100% on my own and no one is helping me make my rent and while I'm living here my stuff is not respected.

I must make the call to move out but I don't want his guilt trip speech about " my family won't be able to live under this roof if you move out because I won't be able to find someone to pay me $450 for a small bedroom in a 800sqft house with my 3 disrespectful children".

Yes I came to rant. I'm thinking 4 months is enough time to find someone to take over and I shouldn't feel guilty that he willingly rented out a house he couldn't afford on his own.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2016, 12:50 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,958,820 times
You didn't have a problem with the kids 3 months ago, what changed?

Roommate 43 m taking advantage of me 23 f?

But the advice will be the same, move on, move out, and good luck finding something affordable. How he pays for the rental without your contribution is not your problem.

Old 12-14-2016, 12:51 PM

838 posts, read 555,197 times
In most states, if you don't have a lease, you are at the very least a month to month tenant. Which means he (the landlord) only needs to give you 30 days notice to vacate or you (the tenant) need to give him 30 days notice. Unless of course there are extraordinary circumstances and protection orders come into play.

Giving him 4 months is plenty generous. But just fair warning.. if you guaranty him that you will stay for 4 months, those 4 months may be a living hell. If he can't afford it on his own without your help then he may make living there worse than it already is. Wouldn't you rather just suffer through 30 days?

Personally, I'd pay the rent on January 1 and be out by the 2nd. To me, paying for a place that I am not living in is better than paying and being miserable.

Good luck.

Old 12-14-2016, 01:18 PM

9,053 posts, read 17,201,105 times
I don't understand why you are still there. Get out.

Old 12-14-2016, 01:21 PM

11,555 posts, read 53,188,168 times
a couple observations:

1) your landlord's financial situation is not your problem
2) 5 people not a family living together in an 800 sq ft place is pretty crowded, a formula for disaster unless all very compatible folk, which doesn't sound like the current situation with the kids and you
3) absent a written lease agreement, it's your word against his as to the terms of your departure. You could assert that he agreed to let you move out anytime you chose to do so for any reason ... it's his word against yours if it came down to a legal action. Paying rent once a month does establish a month to month tenancy, but you're in an undocumented tenancy with this. Your landlord could easily spend more time/expenses chasing you for a month's rent than it would be worth to him.
4) if the situation is already so uncomfortable for you that you need to move out, do so. As soon as you can find another place to move to
5) the sooner you move out, the sooner he can work on finding a replacement tenant. Again, this is his concern, not yours.
6) Get on with your life. 4 months is way past being accomodating to your landlord for a move-out

Old 12-14-2016, 01:36 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,217,748 times
I wouldn't wait. I'd mention to him now that you will be giving him 30 days on Jan. 1st. That gives him a bit of a heads up, and he can scramble to start looking for someone to move in during that time.

I think it would be very hard to be in that small of a place with 3 unruly kids....But he'll find someone.

Old 12-15-2016, 01:12 PM

5,401 posts, read 6,531,949 times
This is a weird situation. If you tell him you are moving he could do any number of weird things, maybe viloent, maybe give you the heave ho, maybe kids will trash your stuff, etc.

I sugggest you right now find a different place to rent. Then move out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships