Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2016, 02:21 PM

407 posts, read 370,314 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ylisa7 View Post

Best Friend- Bail me out of jail call
Nah, the Best Friend would be there with you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2016, 02:27 PM

1,584 posts, read 2,085,060 times
Friend is someone you would voluntarily take a trip out of town to go visit and stay with for a couple days.

An acquaintance is someone you would not do that for.

Old 12-21-2016, 02:52 PM

2,852 posts, read 1,614,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mej210390 View Post
What do you think differentiates the 2 from them and what separates them from the other? please comment?
An acquaintance is someone you know their name - you might know if they have kids, and their names - where they work or what they like to do for enjoyment.

A friend is someone you know their every in and out - their birthday - how many times they were married - their kids names - and birthdays - their kids call you Uncle or Aunt - or their 2nd mom or dad...

But here's the real test:

A TRUE friend is someone who, if they called you at 3am and said that they needed you, you have but one question: Where are you? And you go there.

You'll know the reason they need you when you get there - and you will get there - in record time because they need you... and you're there for them no matter what.

Last edited by TUMF; 12-21-2016 at 03:40 PM..

Old 12-21-2016, 03:00 PM

10,225 posts, read 7,587,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mej210390 View Post
What do you think differentiates the 2 from them and what separates them from the other? please comment?
Acquaintance: Maybe a co-worker, a neighbor who exchanges a "hi" with me when we see each other. We don't socialize except a casual chat sometimes in the work place or the neighborhood.

Good acquaintances and/or casual friends: People I socialize with sometimes, like go to the movies, out to lunch sometimes. Casual friends or close acquaintances. Things in common, we generally like each other, but for whatever reason, we don't pal around, call each other just to chat, call each other with work problems, etc. What is sometimes called a fair weather friend.

Good friend: Someone I can chat on the phone with for a long time, who I share things with and vice versa, who I can rely on for certain things a casual friend or acquaintance wouldn't do (and vice versa).

When people say they have 20 friends, or somesuch, I htink they're talking about acquaintances and casual friends. It takes time and years to get and nurture a good or great friend, so having 20 isn't possible, IMO. But it's very possible to have 20 acquaintances and casual friends. If you go to one party, you've made 20 acquaintances/casual friends.

Old 12-21-2016, 03:15 PM

15,408 posts, read 6,198,794 times
We make intentional plans to do things with friends. We may sometimes ask friends for advice on a serious matter. Typically spend more time with them than acquaintances and have longer conversations that are often more than small talk. Punctuality is more important or at least it should be between friends IMO. Mutual respect is important, too.

Acquaintances are typically seen by just luck or coincidence. We do not make plans with them to do things. They may happen to be at the grocery store at the same time as us, so we do some small talk. Or invited to the same backyard barbecue or birthday party coincidentally if we both know the people hosting them. Typically would not ask serious advice on an important matter from this person. Maybe something minor on occasion. You hear they like a restaurant you've not tried. "Are reservations a good idea there for dinner? What do you recommend from their menu?". That sort of thing.

If we need help with something, we typically ask a friend first. We probably won't even have contact information for many of our acquaintances.

Last edited by chessgeek; 12-21-2016 at 03:49 PM..

Old 12-21-2016, 05:08 PM

8,272 posts, read 8,657,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TUMF View Post

A friend is someone you know their every in and out - their birthday - how many times they were married - their kids names - and birthdays - their kids call you Uncle or Aunt - or their 2nd mom or dad...
I would not be a friend of someone that would encourage their children to call people aunt or uncle when they weren't. That always annoyed me and seems low class. I don't know anyone that does that.

I have many friends with children I never met. They live in different parts of the country. I don't think I will be sending a gift for my friend's son's 50th birthday.

Old 12-21-2016, 06:51 PM

4,575 posts, read 5,192,716 times
Friendship involves true love. The person is almost like family. They care for your well-being. They are there to share the highs, and lows with you. If you're upset, they are empathetic toward you. If something's wrong, they want to help you. There is devotion and genuine intimacy.

An Acquaintance is someone you know of, and you can exchange pleasantries. In some cases, you may be able to hang-out now and again. But it's shallow. There is no real love or devotion. They wouldn't be someone you could count on emotionally -on a deep level. It's a buddy you share some nice times with occasionally. At best. Someone who's name you know and talk to when you see each other at least.

Last edited by HappyRain; 12-21-2016 at 07:18 PM..

Old 12-21-2016, 07:04 PM

2,752 posts, read 2,761,376 times
A friend is someone who knows all your faults, and loves you anyway.

Old 12-21-2016, 07:19 PM

6,825 posts, read 10,522,918 times
A friend is someone who invests him/herself in a relationship with you and vice versa. An acquaintance is someone you happen to be familiar with and might happen to have social interaction with, but there is no significant investment or effort in that regard.

Old 12-21-2016, 08:36 PM

894 posts, read 587,182 times
I like many of the posts defining friends vs acquaintances. I'd also like to add this:

FRIENDS are the people who I know will be there for me and who I can depend on even when it's inconvenient for them or flat-out difficult for them.

ACQUAINTANCES, in my opinion, are the ones who like to chat with you via text, Facebook, Twitter, etc but when trouble arises in your life, they won't actually bother to visit you or even dial a phone to verbally speak to you & check on you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships