Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2017, 11:52 AM

2,790 posts, read 1,644,793 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tassity22 View Post
This can be a control or power issue.
Not necessarily. There are a million reasons for why someone does something. Sometimes they want to look good in front of others and don't want to look cheap. Sometimes people are just plain generous and nice and are happy to do it and aren't stingy about money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2017, 11:54 AM

2,790 posts, read 1,644,793 times
Take out cash for your share and give it to them. If they accept, cool. If they don't, it's cool too. You tried.

Old 01-03-2017, 01:40 PM

24,201 posts, read 19,215,171 times
Can you (or maybe you already do) reciprocate in ways other than paying for a meal? Take care of their pet when they travel, or water the plants? Drive them to the airport? Have them over to your house for a meal - maybe they don't like to cook but enjoy a chance to have homecooked food sometimes. It could certainly be a control thing, but it could also be that they feel like this is a way to acknowledge things that you do for them, and it doesn't always have to be tit for tat in terms of paying at a restaurant.

Old 01-03-2017, 02:14 PM

2,415 posts, read 4,247,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
This is the flipside to How to deal with friends that don't reciprocate? Have you ever had any friends that haven't reciprocate? . I have a few friends that always insist on picking up the check at a restaurant. I feel this is awkward since it make it hard to suggest getting together for lunch of dinner.

How do others feel?

Makes me feel like I need new friends. Can I get your friends numbers?

SS

Old 01-03-2017, 02:27 PM

7,841 posts, read 13,237,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sas318 View Post
Take out cash for your share and give it to them. If they accept, cool. If they don't, it's cool too. You tried.

We have a friend exactly like the OP's friend. Handing them cash isn't always easy. Our friend gets very offended when offered cash and he will stuff it in our pockets and tells us to give it to our daughter.

Our friend is single, does very well and enjoys spending his money on family and friends. He's a very generous person and doesn't do it to gloat. There have been many times where either we or another friend have gone to pay the check before the server brings it to the table. There were times where that actually annoyed him. It's a really nice gesture and we GREATLY appreciate it when he pays but he does it every single time unless someone beats him to it. We have invited him over for dinner numerous times to reciprocate and he appreciates that we do.

Old 01-03-2017, 02:32 PM

7,841 posts, read 13,237,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
Can you (or maybe you already do) reciprocate in ways other than paying for a meal? Take care of their pet when they travel, or water the plants? Drive them to the airport? Have them over to your house for a meal - maybe they don't like to cook but enjoy a chance to have homecooked food sometimes. It could certainly be a control thing, but it could also be that they feel like this is a way to acknowledge things that you do for them, and it doesn't always have to be tit for tat in terms of paying at a restaurant.

The bolded--we invite him over often because he's single and dines out pretty much every day for all 3 meals. He enjoys a good home-cooked meal. We've also paid for concert tickets, another thing he has done many times. He'll ask if anyone want to see a particular show then order tickets and won't accept payment from any of us so when there's a show that we know he'd like to see, we buy his ticket. We've also done this with sporting events. He'll try to give us money for tickets and we refuse. He gets a little upset sometimes and has told me to give the money to my daughter since we won't take it. It can sometimes be awkward.

Old 01-03-2017, 02:57 PM

5,621 posts, read 5,937,091 times
The only time I'd be too concerned with this is if I'm with someone that treats it as a debt and expects something in return later. Otherwise just let them and maybe suggest some other activities that aren't as costly or that you can pay for without an "I already paid" scenario.

Old 01-03-2017, 03:12 PM

1,330 posts, read 1,540,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShakenStirred View Post
Makes me feel like I need new friends. Can I get your friends numbers?

SS
Haha this

Old 01-03-2017, 03:40 PM

23,310 posts, read 18,852,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
I have an elderly neighbor who calls to take me to dinner fairly often. Nothing fancy, just a local cafe. His wife is in a nursing home so I know he's lonely, enjoys the company, and the "event". He insists on paying for every meal we share. I usually do a bit of gentle friendly arguing about it but drop it or pay the tip. And, rather than turn it into something uncomfortable I thank him and find other ways to repay the kindness. We've done it this way for several years.

Old 01-03-2017, 03:44 PM

35,075 posts, read 17,024,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
I actually did that last week. It was awkward and involved a stern discussion.
Can you embellish on this? What was said?
My friend waved my card away. I insisted. I told him that his constant payment made it difficult for me to suggest plans. I also told him that he had made telephone calls a problem (different discussion on this board that really went badly) that it was impairing our friendship of 44 years. He said "he understood" and didn't want that to happen. I then said that if a year earlier he hadn't randomly invited me to a concert in November 2015 that we likely would not be talking. He said "I really don't think so." I left it at that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
I have a feeling the stern discussion come from the one who normally pays all the time, and when the OP paid, they didn't like it.
Pretty much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships