Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2017, 07:22 AM

17,156 posts, read 12,951,087 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nurider2002 View Post
I am nothing like the person I was 20 years ago, much less 30 years ago. A childhood friend whom I have had zero contact with in almost 40 years called me on XMAS eve and left a message. Why would someone I haven't talked to in 40 years call me on XMAS eve? I don't want to know. I hung with the wrong crowd as a teenager. Most of the people I knew back then ended up as addicts, dead or being in trouble well into their 20s at least. I wish them all well but I don't need that drama in my life.
They're lonely and wanting a hook up
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2017, 08:39 AM

2,218 posts, read 4,369,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mej210390 View Post
Be it Primary School, High School, some other place of association, what are the reasons some don't want to reconnect with people of their pasts?
Because they didn't really like those people when they were forced to be in the same class or club or school. Why would they want to "reconnect"?

Old 01-04-2017, 08:49 AM

4,754 posts, read 2,737,277 times
Lifestyles, triggers, temptation.

Old 01-04-2017, 08:58 AM

11,583 posts, read 6,729,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ylisa7 View Post
they are in the past because that time in our lives is over. If they really meant anything then we wouldn't have to "reconnect".

it can be fun to reminisce but once that is over there is no real common ground left so why bother.

exactly!

Old 01-04-2017, 09:56 AM

7,284 posts, read 16,675,136 times
Quote:
Be it Primary School, High School, some other place of association, what are the reasons some don't want to reconnect with people of their pasts?
They didn't like those people?

Old 01-04-2017, 10:15 AM

18,757 posts, read 11,787,488 times
Connecting with some one you haven't spoken to in 20 years can go either way. I'm in the process of getting to know my childhood bestie and her sister again and it's been a great experience. I think we will be friends until death do us part. One high school friend I connected with has been a bit of a drama queen full of dysfunction. I think she left Facebook. I kind of walked away without deleting her friendship a while ago. I don't want to be mean to her but no thanks.

I became friends with someone I didn't know well in high school and it's been a fun experience. I got a rogue text from her on Thanksgiving saying that she's almost at Denny's. Denny's on Thanksgiving? NOOOO. I texted her back saying that I didn't know who it was but you were welcome to come eat with us. She texted back and told me who it was (I lost a bunch of numbers after I accidentally deleted all of my contacts and hers was one of them.) We had a good laugh and a good conversation. It's too bad she lives far away in another state. You know what? I think I'm going to text them both now.

Old 01-04-2017, 10:29 AM

2,202 posts, read 4,325,639 times
Quote:
"Past association" isn't a good enough reason to motivate one to make a "new association" with them. But it really depends on what other factors might exist for resuming the old association. Was the old association discontinued because of distance (college and/or work) that has since become closer? Frequent contact with others, in the pursuit of current endeavours, tends to make for more satisfying associations.

Old 01-04-2017, 10:30 AM

714 posts, read 747,112 times
When you say "others" of their past, do you mean old friends or old acquaintances?

I have some takes on this, but I moved away from my home area at age 26 so my reasons are all compounded by that. I've reconnected with some people and haven't with some people. Only 1 or 2 people have reached out that I haven't seen, and I haven't seen them because they are known as flakes so I don't want to set time aside on my vacation to get stood up by someone I'm not dying to see anyway.

Old 01-04-2017, 10:51 AM

5,511 posts, read 4,472,347 times
Quote:
Me to them:
While I enjoy using tech as a means to facilitate communications, if the talks through Facebook, email, txt, etc. are shallow, then I don't see any purpose in bothering seeing them in person. Here, I will acknowledge that in some cases, I could've done a better job. E.g., don't just talk about weather. Try to talk about more meaningful things. If that still doesn't work out (e.g. it's more so a one-way conversation), then I could break it off, being able to at least say I tried.

It's sort of a thing with "chicken" where I'll talk with them if they reach out to me. However, they may be thinking the same thing.

Others I know are already married, and will probably have kids soon enough. Otherwise, they're plenty busy too.

If there's a purpose in me talking to them, I'll reach out to them. This includes professional references, and for background checks

them to me
They probably deem me as "odd". Unfortunately, it's like a break up where I usually won't get a reason why.

I know some of them really weren't fond of me (for both all the wrong and right reasons), while others were treating our sessions of contact as strictly on the acquaintance or coworker level. Nothing more.

Old 01-04-2017, 10:54 AM

2,790 posts, read 1,642,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimrich View Post
Shame, fear, hurt feelings, guilt, anger, misunderstandings, humiliation, social awkwardness, a bad memory or event but mostly it's about FEAR.
I agree!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships