Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2017, 11:26 AM

343 posts, read 317,910 times

Advertisements

I feel that in life it is easy to be a victim of 'learned helplessness', and for some of us, it is much much easier to be a victim than to take action and grow up and get out of situations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2017, 11:37 AM

4,320 posts, read 5,151,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy12345678 View Post
I’m talking about people who say things like “It doesn’t do any good to complain because nothing’s going to change anyway” In my mind, that leads to a vicious cycle where people are either afraid or don’t care to complain, and nothing ever changes because nobody is willing to speak up about it. People need to stand up and fight against injustices and wrongdoings instead of sitting back and passively taking whatever is thrown at them. They have accepted defeat before the battle is even fought.
Like when people say things like “Life isn’t fair, get used to it” they seem to be trying to justify why life isn’t fair and just contributing to the problem instead of trying to change things for the better. They have the attitude of “The world is just messed up and there’s nothing I can do about it, so I’m not even going to try”.

What do you guys think?
It depends on the context of the complaining. In general, with the help of the internet, I think we complain constantly, way too much.

If you are thinking about politics, I think it is a totally appropriate time to stand up and fight. That said, surely an awful lot of people protesting at the Women's marches or before at Black Lives Matters marches or Occupy Wallstreet did not vote for Hillary nor did they vote in the last 2 mid-term elections. That's like complaining when you get lung cancer after never stopping smoking cigarettes, dumb. Mundane prevention or action is best, passionate complaining is sexy (I guess) even though the prevention works better.

But on the job, complainers are usually going to hurt themselves, they'll lose the faith of their superiors and probably never get promoted. And I can't imagine complaining being good for a marriage or for raising psychologically healthy kids. And it never helps to complain on the soccer or basketball court or in most social situations for that matter.

The internet gives us the impression that our opinions are always wanted and heard.

Old 02-02-2017, 11:45 AM

22,278 posts, read 21,786,262 times
I am a fatalist, not a defeatist!

Old 02-02-2017, 12:47 PM

12,981 posts, read 9,699,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mschrief View Post
Because when you get old all you have to look forward to is disease and ultimately, death.

I get down a LOT. I am 61 and my Dad died at 68, my mother at 78. That ain't too many more gettups.
You are not old yet. You can think and act much older than you really are, you still have much living to do yet. I know it can be depressing, but do your best to push back on those feelings. Find a new purpose in your life, something totally different to get involved with, like a new hobby. Get out and do things, just don't sit around dwelling on it. Good luck to you, and everything will be alright.

Last edited by ipaper; 02-02-2017 at 01:35 PM..

Old 02-02-2017, 12:58 PM

3,754 posts, read 4,264,823 times
As time goes on, much of society's self worth is now judged by your material wealth.

With the poor getting poorer and the middle class shrinking, the number of people who actually feel good about themselves in our materialistic society is declining. Eventually, their whole life takes on a mindset that they can't increase their lot in life. They just don't care anymore.

Old 02-02-2017, 01:10 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,244,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katana49 View Post
As time goes on, much of society's self worth is now judged by your material wealth.

With the poor getting poorer and the middle class shrinking, the number of people who actually feel good about themselves in our materialistic society is declining. Eventually, their whole life takes on a mindset that they can't increase their lot in life. They just don't care anymore.
Too bad your example is based on nothing at all. There are jobs going begging in this country. All one needs to do is acquire some technical skills. Meanwhile your community, your state, your local community college has more avenues to acquire those technical skills than you can count.

U.S. job openings at record high, skills mismatch emerging | Reuters

That would be the path out of the conundrum you describe. All they have to do is take it. But it's far easier to wave the white flag and complain about it.

Old 02-02-2017, 01:33 PM

12,981 posts, read 9,699,936 times
Also, keep in mind that not everybody is going to be rich and successful. I believe Jesus himself said in Matthew, that you will always have the poor among you. So we will always have the defeatist attitude and the complaining among us as well. That's not to say that people shouldn't try to better their situation, but we don't live in utopia either. There are people out there who rise above their bad situation and do really well for themselves. There is probably hundreds of examples all around the country, where people changed their lives for the better, but we don't focus on them as much.

And, lets face it, life have dealt some people a bad hand. And what will life be like, if everybody was wealthy and educated. Who will do the menial task, or the jobs that the wealthy people think that is beneath them. Everybody will be too wealthy and educated to even flip burgers. Also, some people just don't have the mental IQ to get to where they want to go. Many have super big dreams, unrealistic goals that's almost impossible to reach.

But, life goes on. You do the best that you can do, help somebody along the way, have the courage to change the things that you can, accept the things you cannot and the wisdom to know the difference. From the prayer of Serenity.

Last edited by ipaper; 02-02-2017 at 02:02 PM..

Old 02-02-2017, 01:35 PM

3,137 posts, read 2,718,211 times
I don't mind if someone else has a negative mindframe but I would rather they not impose it on me.

Old 02-02-2017, 01:56 PM

22,278 posts, read 21,786,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Too bad your example is based on nothing at all. There are jobs going begging in this country. All one needs to do is acquire some technical skills. Meanwhile your community, your state, your local community college has more avenues to acquire those technical skills than you can count.

That would be the path out of the conundrum you describe. All they have to do is take it. But it's far easier to wave the white flag and complain about it.
Absolutely.

I just made a huge career change in my mid-50s and doubled my salary.

Part of my duties is writing speeches about this very topic!

Old 02-02-2017, 02:01 PM

865 posts, read 1,492,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post

Too bad no one can take you seriously with all your sarcasm and snide remarks in previous posts...then again, if that is what makes you feel better about yourself...

Talk about defeatist, someone who trolls all day is DEFINITELY not an expert in ANYTHING! Do you even have a job...ha ha! You don't seem to be in demand that much, whatever it is...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships