Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2017, 08:14 AM

1,166 posts, read 876,328 times

Advertisements

I’m talking about people who say things like “It doesn’t do any good to complain because nothing’s going to change anyway” In my mind, that leads to a vicious cycle where people are either afraid or don’t care to complain, and nothing ever changes because nobody is willing to speak up about it. People need to stand up and fight against injustices and wrongdoings instead of sitting back and passively taking whatever is thrown at them. They have accepted defeat before the battle is even fought.
Like when people say things like “Life isn’t fair, get used to it” they seem to be trying to justify why life isn’t fair and just contributing to the problem instead of trying to change things for the better. They have the attitude of “The world is just messed up and there’s nothing I can do about it, so I’m not even going to try”.

What do you guys think?

Last edited by jimmy12345678; 01-29-2017 at 08:48 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2017, 02:55 PM

12,968 posts, read 9,650,170 times
You would need a psychologist. Everybody life story is different, and their own life journey got them to that mentality. Some people was born into, grew up around, or just be around a lot of negative vibes, and that's all they know. This is life for some people, nobody in their lives with a different mentality to tell them otherwise. They never taste or experience anything better so this is the norm to them. Misery loves company, and others actually benefits from people with that thinking, so they have no interest in changing the way these people think or feel about themselves. It's like Let them keep thinking that about themselves, and I'll just keep living large over here, the more for me. And education also plays a part in this way of thinking as well.

Old 02-01-2017, 06:11 PM

2,790 posts, read 1,643,160 times
Because it's easier to sit there and complain, but taking action takes, well, action. You actually have to get up and do some work, and not everyone wants to.

Old 02-01-2017, 07:34 PM

30,253 posts, read 23,727,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy12345678 View Post
I’m talking about people who say things like “It doesn’t do any good to complain because nothing’s going to change anyway” In my mind, that leads to a vicious cycle where people are either afraid or don’t care to complain, and nothing ever changes because nobody is willing to speak up about it. People need to stand up and fight against injustices and wrongdoings instead of sitting back and passively taking whatever is thrown at them. They have accepted defeat before the battle is even fought.
Like when people say things like “Life isn’t fair, get used to it” they seem to be trying to justify why life isn’t fair and just contributing to the problem instead of trying to change things for the better. They have the attitude of “The world is just messed up and there’s nothing I can do about it, so I’m not even going to try”.

What do you guys think?
You've hit on one of my biggest pet peeves. I can't stand it when people won't even try. Just try. If it doesn't work, either try harder or accept that while it didn't work, at least you fricken tried.

As for "life isn't fair", it isn't. And everyone does need to "get used to it". You can still try, but don't expect or feel entitled to anything. All you can do is try. If it doesn't work out for you, but it does for others, that's life. Try again, or try something else. (This is, of course, all general "you".)

Old 02-01-2017, 08:05 PM

13,284 posts, read 8,448,254 times
And a sensible person weighs the danger of an action. I don't need to " try" heroin or get involved in
Certain causes...Because well...They just aren't worth it.

I respect the word " no". So if a person or institution says no...I respect it. Being a nuisance is not productive. It's annoying. I recall an associate that refused (defiantly) to accept "no". She behaved like a two year old. She was the squeeky wheel that the boss's gave into. She didn't get my respect. Did I "do " anything about it? Yup. I ignored her. That was my "doing".

Yes , run ..Run far away when someone unempathically recites...Deal with it..Life isn't fair.
It's a crass remark to deter them from having humility.

Old 02-02-2017, 04:18 AM

7,588 posts, read 4,159,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy12345678 View Post

What do you guys think?
Some people have learned in the past that in some situations, its useless, for example, when no laws or government procedures have been broken.

Old 02-02-2017, 06:20 AM

4,852 posts, read 3,644,795 times
Because when you get old all you have to look forward to is disease and ultimately, death.

I get down a LOT. I am 61 and my Dad died at 68, my mother at 78. That ain't too many more gettups.

Old 02-02-2017, 07:30 AM

865 posts, read 1,488,666 times
Because as you age you will see, there is nothing you can do about certain things and there is no use in complaining about them either, whether it is about a unfortunate death in the family, issues with your children, health issues that are permanent, assault of your character, being the victim of a crime, being the victim of abuse, etc. Too many people have a semi-charmed kind of life, and have never dealt with the kind of stuff they have only seen on TV, so it is easy for them to point the finger and say "it is ALL YOUR FAULT FOR YOUR Perception," essentially invalidating everything the other person has experienced.

I can honestly say I have changed all I can in my life to make things better, at this point there is nothing else I can do! I am highly educated, very physically fit and skinny, own a house without a mortgage, and have traveled the world...still, I am struggling to deal with bad circumstances that are NOT of my doing. They won't bring me down, but I am not exactly thrilled about them either. A lot of people will point fingers that it is me, but if they look in the mirror I bet they are not perfect but pretending their life is! In my case, why complain it will NOT make anything better, and there are areas of my life where people would love to trade places with me in a heartbeat!

Now in the same respect, if it is something totally preventable like credit card debt for caring too much about fun and experiences, instead of being mature about there money then I guess it is on them. Or if someone keeps complaining about their weight, but keeps going out to eat, I guess that is on them too! But I am not sure that is what this post is about???

Old 02-02-2017, 10:22 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,144,437 times
Defeatism quite often stems from depression and the hopelessness it brings. But, in many cases, it also stems from sheer laziness on the part of the person. In those cases, it's just a way to not try and to not think about a different way to solve a problem.

Old 02-02-2017, 10:56 AM

2,894 posts, read 2,451,233 times
Depending on what the person is being "defeatist" about, experience. I am defeatist about some things - I know better now than to put my time and energy into something that ultimately isn't going to change. I am NOT depressed, or hopeless, and no one should ascribe traits to people who you know nothing about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships