Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2017, 06:19 PM

3,135 posts, read 2,259,211 times

Advertisements

Move along...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2017, 07:15 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,170,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilCookie View Post
Would you consider it off-putting, if a new acquaintance you're just meeting for the first time keeps making offhand but negative references to their financial situation, complaining about bills, budget constraints, ranting about unfair treatment at work etc?
Yes, such a person is obviously self-centered and seeking attention.

Old 02-13-2017, 07:31 PM

13,284 posts, read 8,458,170 times
I'd say they dodged a bullet from you . The world isn't rosy all the time.pity that you call it a red flag. I call it an opportunity to listen.and maybe suggest alternate results.
But that's just me..I respect folks and understand that financial burdens do happen.

Old 02-13-2017, 07:46 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,958,820 times
Keep away. I work with somebody who does exactly the same thing. And she's made it a self-fulfilling prophecy at this point.
Her job involves handling cash, and we don't trust her to do her own paperwork at the end of her shift (and we have reasons not to). She does nothing but moan and complain about how broke she is, and how she isn't getting many hours at work. And we want her to quit at this point, so her schedule is not going to improve.

Old 02-13-2017, 07:49 PM

5 posts, read 10,620 times
You're not overthinking, you're being discerning! Very wise of you to question pursing a friendship before becoming too entrenched. It is said that we reflect the 5 people closest to us, so best to choose our inner circle wisely. Sounds like you already know to steer clear.

Old 02-13-2017, 08:15 PM

2,547 posts, read 4,229,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post
I'd say they dodged a bullet from you . The world isn't rosy all the time.pity that you call it a red flag. I call it an opportunity to listen.and maybe suggest alternate results.
But that's just me..I respect folks and understand that financial burdens do happen.
I would agree, especially if it was a good friend, but it seemed a) a bit weird considering it was a person I just met for the first time, and b) it was combined with asking ME leading questions about our lifestyle that seems like she was prying to find out our financial level..which made me a bit uneasy. I've known people before that were constantly envious of everyone around them who they perceived as having a better life, and tended to be bitter and act like those people owe them something...I'm not sure if this person is actually like that, but I was sort of picking up on that vibe.

I'll clarify that I'm not one of those people who wants everyone around them to be 'positive' all the time and refuse to be dragged down by others' problems! Not at all - I'm a fairly realist type of person, and I can totally appreciate a good rant or whine, lol! I like to listen to people and completely don't mind people sharing their problems and issues (in fact I sort of enjoy it, I like helping, and I've always enjoyed psychology in college and even considered majoring in it). Where I draw the line, though, is being used, or having that negative energy from people who are bitter or venemous or expect things without giving back, and I've seen that before. These are the types of people I want to weed out right away.

Old 02-13-2017, 08:19 PM

3,670 posts, read 7,164,704 times
I find that behavior annoying but I wouldn't call it a red flag. I feel like a lot of people have a victim mentality. Sometimes the victim mentality manifests itself maliciously but usually it is more laziness and/or lack of awareness. It's not easy to be a leader.

I would be careful about offering any direct assistance. Sometimes I find it a fun challenge to try to influence people's thinking. Sometimes people surprise me.

Last edited by brocco; 02-13-2017 at 08:38 PM..

Old 02-13-2017, 08:38 PM

6,769 posts, read 5,490,348 times
Simple answer to you question is:

YES.

Old 02-13-2017, 09:31 PM

1,022 posts, read 1,255,421 times
I'd trust my gut feeling.

Old 02-13-2017, 09:34 PM

2,181 posts, read 1,629,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilCookie View Post
I would agree, especially if it was a good friend, but it seemed a) a bit weird considering it was a person I just met for the first time, and b) it was combined with asking ME leading questions about our lifestyle that seems like she was prying to find out our financial level..which made me a bit uneasy. I've known people before that were constantly envious of everyone around them who they perceived as having a better life, and tended to be bitter and act like those people owe them something...I'm not sure if this person is actually like that, but I was sort of picking up on that vibe.

I'll clarify that I'm not one of those people who wants everyone around them to be 'positive' all the time and refuse to be dragged down by others' problems! Not at all - I'm a fairly realist type of person, and I can totally appreciate a good rant or whine, lol! I like to listen to people and completely don't mind people sharing their problems and issues (in fact I sort of enjoy it, I like helping, and I've always enjoyed psychology in college and even considered majoring in it). Where I draw the line, though, is being used, or having that negative energy from people who are bitter or venemous or expect things without giving back, and I've seen that before. These are the types of people I want to weed out right away.
The prying you describe here is a red flag for sure. Don't ever answer questions like this with any detail. I don't ever trust my family or closest friends too much with this sort of thing. We've been hit up for loans and things. Or just sometimes there are people that are more than happy to help you spend your money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships