Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2017, 03:02 PM

6,915 posts, read 3,953,461 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dysgenic View Post
The kids are getting their ball, not vandalizing or trying to rob them. They are hurting no one by fetching their ball. Be good neighbors and let it go. Better yet, make them cookies and invite them inside and get to know them better.
They are entering OP's property without asking first. That is called trespassing. Doesn't matter what the reason is. Some of us were raised not to even track across someone's front lawn without permission and good reason.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2017, 03:05 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,749,614 times
Thanks everyone. Our pool is up to code, we are not violating any laws. When we first moved in the kids would ring the bell and ask to get the ball. It happened so often my husband told them to go ahead in the backyard and get it themselves.

I think since he is home all the time it is just bothering him more than previously. For me it is part of living the way we do. If we don't want that we need to move to a larger property. My husband grew up on a larger property so thinks it is ridiculous the kids miss the basket so much. I think frankly he's a bit off his rocker with that thought.

Old 03-18-2017, 03:12 PM

6,915 posts, read 3,953,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowonLuck View Post
When you choose to live on top of people, you have to assume that you will have to be more tolerable of how others live and the noises they make while doing so. If you want peace and quiet, and to never be disturbed by children playing, then you buy enough property that would prevent kids being near your house, yard and landscaping.

That goes the other way too, for the people who play their ghetto blasters and throw loud parties until well after midnight, regardless of the fact that neighbors are trying to sleep and some people work on weekends, too. I just moved from one such neighborhood 7 months ago. My new neighborhood is also urban but people are classy enough to keep their noise out of others' air space.

Old 03-18-2017, 03:18 PM

2,492 posts, read 3,031,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
Thanks everyone. Our pool is up to code, we are not violating any laws. When we first moved in the kids would ring the bell and ask to get the ball. It happened so often my husband told them to go ahead in the backyard and get it themselves.

I think since he is home all the time it is just bothering him more than previously. For me it is part of living the way we do. If we don't want that we need to move to a larger property. My husband grew up on a larger property so thinks it is ridiculous the kids miss the basket so much. I think frankly he's a bit off his rocker with that thought.
He needs to get back to work. Sounds like he is nitpicking because he is unhappy in his current situation. Maybe organize a basketball tournament next door to motivate getting his butt in a chair earning a paycheck instead of being a nosey Nellie.

Old 03-18-2017, 03:33 PM

3,092 posts, read 1,947,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ContraPagan View Post
They are entering OP's property without asking first. That is called trespassing. Doesn't matter what the reason is. Some of us were raised not to even track across someone's front lawn without permission and good reason.
Some of us were also raised to be kind to our neighbors and be kind to children.

Old 03-18-2017, 03:57 PM

2,462 posts, read 2,480,403 times
I'd grab the basketball and hide it. Tell the kids it bounced out into the street and into a truck bed. If they come up with another basketball, do the same.

Old 03-18-2017, 04:05 PM

1,020 posts, read 809,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by .sparrow. View Post
See, now I'm the opposite. I prefer dogs barking over children screaming.

I love dogs.
Can't rep you again, but I couldn't agree more!

Old 03-18-2017, 04:10 PM

1,020 posts, read 809,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
To me, that makes things a bit more complicated. You didn't say at first (or I missed it) that your DH had given the kids permission to come onto the property all this time & just now changed the rules. He still has every right to change the rules, it's his property & I agree with the liability issues, but kids tend to not think things like this through unless it's been really formally explained to them. I would just go talk to the parents & explain that it's becoming a nuisance. You're probably right tho' that it just bugs him more cuz he's home more LOL. Still, I would not put up with it.

You all have an expectation & right to peaceful enjoyment of your property. If memory serves me right, it's a legal term (it may be quiet enjoyment of your property) & you can google it, along with your state to give you an idea if your expectations are reasonable or not.

Old 03-18-2017, 04:12 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,749,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyn7cyn View Post
He needs to get back to work. Sounds like he is nitpicking because he is unhappy in his current situation. Maybe organize a basketball tournament next door to motivate getting his butt in a chair earning a paycheck instead of being a nosey Nellie.
You know this is an ******* comment. My husband was let go from his job and has been looking ever since. He works very hard around the house so please save your comments.

Old 03-18-2017, 04:30 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,642,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhureeKeeper View Post
Sounds like a liability problem waiting to happen. What if they climb over the fence, fall and break an arm - or worse?

Tell the parents their kids are not allowed to climb over the fence. PERIOD. If the ball comes in your yard they need to go to your front door, or send you a text so you can retrieve it, but you won't do it more than once a day.

I feel for you! I have neighbors behind me that do the same thing, but with plastic balls and foam lawn darts.
Annoying as heck.
Best advice on here. They must go to the front door or text. They won't want to do this too often, especially with the once a day policy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
If they are ruining the landscaping, tell them, and the parents, to go around to the gate (or whatever works best). If they aren't hurting anything, let it go. We've always had an open-yard policy with our neighbors for the purpose of chasing balls, or whatever.
No way. Did you miss the part where there is a dog involved? Without a doubt they will forget to close the gate and there goes the pooch out into the street, maybe never to be seen again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships