Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2017, 06:16 PM

2,163 posts, read 1,550,553 times

Advertisements

It won't make you look like a sucker at all, but the bottom line is it's not your job to make her feel good about herself (while ignoring every attempt you make at trying to talk a little about your life). Why feed that type of ego?

Ignore her completely and focus on the job, in my opinion. Who cares how she takes it? You'd probably be the first person she's encountered in awhile with enough self-esteem not to cater to her.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2017, 10:03 PM

16,075 posts, read 21,148,356 times
Akissing? I'll be sure to tell that to my boss when she tells me this an effective way to deal with some of our more problematic employees.

Old 04-07-2017, 07:09 AM

A boss dealing with a troublesome employee is being diplomatic.

Enthusiastically pretending to care about the trivial details of the life of someone you secretly cannot stand and playing into their nonsense just to satisfy their ego (because you're afraid of upsetting them) is ass kissing.

Old 04-07-2017, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobCaldwell View Post
A boss dealing with a troublesome employee is being diplomatic.

Enthusiastically pretending to care about the trivial details of the life of someone you secretly cannot stand and playing into their nonsense just to satisfy their ego (because you're afraid of upsetting them) is ass kissing.
Except that doesn't seem to be the case here, this woman seems to be complaining/bragging about the amount of work she does, not going into trivial details about herself or her life. It sounds very much to me like an employee who wants someone, anyone, to give them some attaboys. If a few pats on the head is all it takes to turn a bad atmosphere around and make her more pleasant to work with, why not do it? It's not kissing butt to give a few words of praise here and there. YMMV
Quote:
Originally Posted by stava View Post
Sometimes I think that the constant complaining is a ruse because it keeps people from actually getting to know her and her real motivations. Like a cover. Because, if you're always complaining, you're shifting the focus off of YOU and onto all these "problems". It is very, very rare that she talks about her own life, and any "emotion" that she gives is...shallow? She doesn't come across as authentic to me.

In the beginning I honestly felt bad for her. But now I'm thinking...something's just off.
Quote:
Her complaints are about her work/volunteer life. How everyone is always piling so much onto her. Yet she doesn't say no...

Old 04-07-2017, 07:42 AM

I'd actually agree with you if I found something good about the person Stava's talking about. What offends me is the way this person completely disregards Stava's attempts at friendly exchange. It shows a complete lack of interest--and yet she still expects to be the focus of all attention, as if Stava or whoever else is there simply to be their sounding board. No.

Personally I don't understand folks who can so easily be fake and passive like that, especially when they really do not like the person in question! 'Go along to get along'. It's really pathetic.

But if the woman at least seemed to listen and engage Stava in conversation, I'd be all for a congratulatory remark, as she would be showing some sign of being a friendly person with genuine interest in others. This is just a narcissist.

Old 04-07-2017, 07:49 AM

Quote:
I volunteer with someone who is a chronic complainer. Anyone and everyone she's with, she has to dominate the conversation by talking about herself, telling everyone how HARD her life is and how TIRED she is and how "it just never ends". She does not listen to others or ask them any questions. It's as if people and their wants/needs/feelings simply do not exist to this woman.

You almost get the sense that she believes she's more important than everyone and therefore believes that her life and problems would be of high interest to others. Many people just go along with her and let her take center stage, but I often interject with my own stories. She'll react with an "Oh" or an "Ok" but there is never any real dialogue when it's about anyone else but her.

I realized today that she is suffocating to me. I feel managed down and drained when I interact with her because I end up feeling so insignificant. I also feel like I'm in some kind of parent role where she's the child, the endlessly needy child. The thing is, I have to spend time with her because she's training me on certain projects. How do you deal with a manipulative, dominating person such as this?

...so, yeah.

Old 04-08-2017, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Personally I don't understand folks who can so easily be fake and passive like that, especially when they really do not like the person in question! 'Go along to get along'. It's really pathetic.
Because sometimes you don't have a lot of choice as to who you have to be around. You can choose to ignore, or choose to confront, or choose to try to turn the situation into something more pleasant.
Stava is in a volunteer position but she wants to be there, learning the ropes fro the other woman. Certainly she can ignore or confront the other woman but that tends to make working relationships awkward or uncomfortable. Far easier to go along and get along until she has learned what she needs to know and then move on. It doesn't even require her to pretend to like the other woman, it just means being pleasant in the face of her complaining.
Some folks must be lucky if they never find themselves forced to work for long periods with people they don't care for

Old 04-08-2017, 03:02 PM

Perhaps I'm in the minority, but I have no problem ignoring an annoying person and getting my work done without a bit of concern for them. Cutting the person off is what made things 'easier', as you put it.

Some people cannot do this for any number of reasons--fear of what the person may think of them, whatever it may be. I give not a drop of damn. And I certainly wouldn't worry about brightening the day or giving a bit of sunshine to someone who's made no effort to reciprocate.

Old 04-16-2017, 04:12 AM

3,739 posts, read 4,635,616 times
Quote:
It won't make you look like a sucker at all, but the bottom line is it's not your job to make her feel good about herself (while ignoring every attempt you make at trying to talk a little about your life). Why feed that type of ego?

Ignore her completely and focus on the job, in my opinion. Who cares how she takes it? You'd probably be the first person she's encountered in awhile with enough self-esteem not to cater to her.

And catering is exactly what self absorbed people expect. This is why I don't appease and cater to them. And they are easy to spot too.

Old 04-26-2017, 12:15 PM

4 posts, read 1,553 times
Chronic complainers can truly make any situation

unbearable. I once knew this girl who complained non-

stop. It was so over the top that I couldn't understand

how she could even have a man in her life. But she did.

He could've done so much better, it really was odd that

he stayed. I don't think I ever heard a positive thing out

of her mouth. And what a bore that can become!

Hopefully he has gotten away from her now but who

knows. Maybe he was just biding his time until the right

moment when he could finally leave her (kind of like that

poster above who is volunteering with a very similar

woman and has to bite their tongue until they learn

enough from her. There are more than a few posters

here who have eerily similar situations and I truly wish

them the best of luck with getting the heck away from

toxic,terrible people like that.)

Do not try to appease them. Just get as far away from

people like that as possible.

Life is too short. I know I am just beginning to see things

in a much clearer light and I now know the right direction

for my life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships