Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2019, 12:36 PM

24,201 posts, read 19,215,171 times

Advertisements

Did OP ever clarify whether the guest wanted her to actually do the laundry or just request the use of the machines so he could do it himself?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2019, 01:08 PM

13,284 posts, read 8,458,170 times
Here is tacky: leaving a local price list of laundry service in the area. Telling your guest to drop it off there.
How's that for tacky?

Our condo has in building laundry rooms. Rather pleasant to walk over....put in some clothing...and 40 minutes later an alert comes up on the phone that it's ready for the dryer. It doesn't cost a thing to use...our condo includes it in our fees...so why not offer it to those who are my guest.

Old 01-14-2019, 01:17 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,462,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
Did OP ever clarify whether the guest wanted her to actually do the laundry or just request the use of the machines so he could do it himself?
He only requests the use but because her machines are different than the guests, the OP starts the wash and transfers to the dryer. She's also annoyed at the time the guest asks as she (OP) is on an energy saving plan and peak usage is pricier.

The obvious solution would be at the beginning of the visit, to provide a demonstration on the machine usage and a request that laundry be done on off-peak hours. Except it seems that the laundry wasn't the "real" issue just a symptom of a bunch of reason the OP is annoyed with this guest.

Old 01-14-2019, 07:18 PM

30,357 posts, read 51,950,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
Also doing laundry at home is no big deal. Its not like you are standing there with a scrub board.
Depends on where you live, and what the laundry situation is there. If you live in a 4th-floor walkup in NYC, where the nearest laundry facilities are a few blocks away - AND cost $xx in quarters? Then yeah, it kinda is a "big deal." First world problem, sure. But if that were my situation (it has been to some degree in the past) and I had access to a washer & dryer wherever I was staying, I'd be inclined to use it before leaving. I certainly wouldn't expect the host to do it for me, though!! That's asking a bit much, lol.

Old 01-14-2019, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkalot View Post
I don't get the people that say they need clean clothes for work or school when they get home. Who in the hell takes ALL of their clothes when they travel? Even if you are going on an around the world 60 day cruise you should have something clean left in the closet and dresser. How many people wear the same type of clothes to work as they wear on vacation anyway?
Uh, I do? I literally wear the SAME EXACT outfits on vacation, unless maybe there's a huge weather or activity difference - like if I were traveling to Australia in December, and going from cold/rainy to hot/sunny. Otherwise I wear the same pair(s) of jeans, the same blouses, and even the same clogs I wear to work. My wardrobe is fairly limited these days (due to weight fluctuations), so if my clothing is all dirty at the end of a vacation, it's entirely likely I wouldn't have anything to wear to work the next day. Didn't realize that was so weird, but I guess some folks still have to wear suits and skirts to their jobs? Well, thankfully that's not true for me.

Quote:
If people are so broke that they cannot afford more than a weeks worth of clothes, they should not take a vacation. Priorities are screwed up.
No, I'd say they have their priorities in order! If you only had $500 of "fun money," how would you rather spend that - on clothing, or on a fun vacation? YMMV, but I think a lot of us would rather take a trip. Also, having a limited wardrobe doesn't necessarily mean you're "broke." I have a small wardrobe because in a period of under 10 years, I went from a size 24 down to a size 14, then back up to a 16/18. I finally got rid of everything that didn't fit or was out of style, and it left me with hardly anything!! I've been slowly rebuilding the wardrobe, but most of us don't have thousands to plop down at once. So it's a slow process of a purchasing a few items here & there.

Last edited by gizmo980; 01-14-2019 at 07:41 PM..

Old 01-14-2019, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McDonald View Post
And this is one of the most commonly-expressed forms of obsessive-compulsive disorder. I know several people like this, most of them men. One of them goes over every carpet in his house, two or more times a day, with one of those motion-powered little sweepers and not a day goes by, that he doesn't do a load of laundry. He puts on clean underwear three times a day and showers at least twice. Even though he has several dozen pairs of underwear, he can't tolerate there being a single dirty one overnight. Neat-freaks, is their name.
That's not OCD; that is neat-freakness. And as someone who actually suffers from OCD, I get REALLY sick of people conflating the two! Obsessive-compulsive disorder has nothing to do with neatness, at least not directly... I'm actually kind of a slob, lol.

Old 01-14-2019, 07:52 PM

8,583 posts, read 16,014,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
That's not OCD; that is neat-freakness. And as someone who actually suffers from OCD, I get REALLY sick of people conflating the two! Obsessive-compulsive disorder has nothing to do with neatness, at least not directly... I'm actually kind of a slob, lol.
Washing & cleaning compulsions are a common OCD behavior...

Old 01-14-2019, 08:05 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,583,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post

but I guess some folks still have to wear suits and skirts to their jobs? Well, thankfully that's not true for me.
No suits and skirts being worn to work for many people. You saying that makes no sense and is a very rigid notion.

But certainly something other than just 'jeans' are being worn to work, for many.

Both men and women - and many - wear slacks or pants to work that are not jeans.

Old 01-15-2019, 09:01 AM

24,201 posts, read 19,215,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
He only requests the use but because her machines are different than the guests, the OP starts the wash and transfers to the dryer. She's also annoyed at the time the guest asks as she (OP) is on an energy saving plan and peak usage is pricier.

The obvious solution would be at the beginning of the visit, to provide a demonstration on the machine usage and a request that laundry be done on off-peak hours. Except it seems that the laundry wasn't the "real" issue just a symptom of a bunch of reason the OP is annoyed with this guest.
thanks! I couldn't bring myself to read back through this thread again! lol!

Agree that showing with a demo on how to use it, and then staying out of it seems like the best approach. And to ignore the peak usage time for the one or two loads of laundry that are involved. Talk about getting petty! But yes, I am sure it's more the interpersonal dynamics than the laundry itself.

Old 01-15-2019, 10:01 AM

1,569 posts, read 1,010,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGS4EVER View Post
This is a family member who is 36, married, good job, 2 kids under 5. Whenever he visits he asks to use the washer/dryer on the day they leave. I have never had anyone, relative or friend, ask to use our washer and dryer to do their clothes.

Honestly, it really bugs me. I do enjoy their visits, but seriously, I already have to cook and clean up after them, plus change the sheets and towels and wash them, so I have to do their laundry too? To be clear, I plan for their visit and create daily menus, have their beverages on hand, what the kids like to eat etc. I just don't get this quirk of doing their laundry before they leave. They have their own house with a washer/dryer and his wife doesn't work so ???

Am I wrong to feel this way?

You're not wrong for feeling this way BUT you're wrong for NOT saying anything when it first started.he is treating your home as if it's a hotel or something.Speak up and say something.Why the hell can't he do his own laundry before they leave...why do YOU have to do it? Once again someone taking advantage of your generous hospitality.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships