Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2013, 11:34 AM

6,811 posts, read 6,944,732 times

Advertisements

First of all, if I had my way, I would be neighborless, but that's not the case. I like my privacy and try to respect my neighbors as well. Is it really necessary to acknowledge them each and every time when we are both outside at the same time? I'm not talking about when we are out there for hours, working in the yard, as that usually results in some conversation. I'm talking about just popping out to let the dogs out, take out the trash, etc. I'll wave on occasion if we happen to make eye contact, but if not, I think it is polite of me to let them have their privacy in their yard without having to interact with anyone else. My friend thinks it is rude. Any thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2013, 11:37 AM

12,535 posts, read 15,199,673 times
This might be a regional thing, or an urban vs. suburban thing.

I prefer to be left alone, and to leave others to their business, but if I see someone and that person sees me, I'll at least wave or say, "Hey, how are ya?"

Part of it is being part of a community, and part of it is not wanting to have my packages stolen if UPS delivers and I'm not home.

Old 02-20-2013, 12:40 PM

223 posts, read 732,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilac110 View Post
Part of it is being part of a community, and part of it is not wanting to have my packages stolen if UPS delivers and I'm not home.
I LOL'd when I read that because I was thinking the same thing!

I agree with Lilac110 here...plus it depends on the neighbor. Some neighbors are just more talkative than others. Some say Hi and others you don't dare say hello to because you'll be spending the next 20 mins standing there hearing about their aches & pains.

Old 02-20-2013, 01:21 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,631,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquietpath View Post
First of all, if I had my way, I would be neighborless, but that's not the case. I like my privacy and try to respect my neighbors as well. Is it really necessary to acknowledge them each and every time when we are both outside at the same time? I'm not talking about when we are out there for hours, working in the yard, as that usually results in some conversation. I'm talking about just popping out to let the dogs out, take out the trash, etc. I'll wave on occasion if we happen to make eye contact, but if not, I think it is polite of me to let them have their privacy in their yard without having to interact with anyone else. My friend thinks it is rude. Any thoughts?
How much effort does it take to do a quick wave or just say "Hi" and then go about your business collecting your mail or taking out the trash?

I mean if someone has their back to you I wouldn't be shouting out "HELLO" to get their attention, but if you see each other you should wave or say "Hi".

You also never know someday you may need some help with some type of emergency(medical or otherwise), or if you go away asking them to keep an eye on your home.

Old 02-20-2013, 01:21 PM

1,557 posts, read 3,305,510 times
Not rude at all. I think you are being polite when you see them busy doing some task and you do not interrupt. That is thoughtful of you.

Old 02-20-2013, 02:02 PM

4,564 posts, read 10,953,325 times
This is more of a summer issue here - when we spend more time in the back yard. And during the summer, I've planted things in such a way that I don't see anyone. This was not only for our privacy but theirs too. If we make eye contact we will wave or say hi.

Neighbors out front we will wave.

The neighbor on one side of us is like our mom. We are very close. But even at that, as much as we love her, we don't want to have a long conversation every time we see her outside. We will always say hello if she sees us, but we would not go out of our way to interrupt her, stop what we are doing etc. Really depends on the situation.

Old 02-20-2013, 02:16 PM

12,858 posts, read 16,868,731 times
Saying howdy or a wave shouldn't be that big of a deal. You would be surprised how offended some people get if a neighbor or someone doesn't nod or wave.

Old 02-20-2013, 02:50 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,868,439 times
I always wave or say hi to my neighbors. It takes two seconds or less to be polite like that.

It's not bad to get to know your neighbors a little bit. I've exchanged phone numbers with some of my neighbors and we text each other if we see something suspicious at the other's house. Others I just know from waving to each other as we walk our dogs.

Old 02-20-2013, 03:15 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,631,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
Saying howdy or a wave shouldn't be that big of a deal. You would be surprised how offended some people get if a neighbor or someone doesn't nod or wave.

This is very true about some people getting offended if they don't get a nod or wave, as silly as that may sound.

So take two seconds and wave, it benefits everyone in the long run. It actually could make a difference in how a neighbor may react if they see something "shady" going on when you're not home.

There are people who will decide whether or not to take action and call the police or chase off possible criminals based on the fact as to whether or not they consider you friendly or unfriendly.

Sounds petty, but it is true.

Again you don't have to be friends and engage in long conversations constantly, but that little wave may make a difference at some point.

Old 02-20-2013, 03:55 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,211,406 times
I agree with you. We have the same type neighbors. We will occasionally have an "over the fence visit." Often these are initiated because something needs to be shared regarding the neighborhood, or just a quick catch up when we've all been shut up during bad weather etc.
We will acknowledge each other at times, other times we are just doing our own thing. I agree with you. That is the norm. Having someone wave and try to talk to me every time I walk out of my home would be an irritant, and the natural course of action would be to begin avoiding them. Follow your own instincts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships