Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2017, 09:07 AM

44 posts, read 45,654 times

Advertisements

I was disowned by my parents when I was 17 after becoming pregnant with my husband (was my boyfriend back then). He was also 17 at the time. We always used protection but a night of drunken, teenage lust saw us discard common sense. My parents are very religious and my pregnancy was unable to co-exist with their faith. Plus my husband is a mix of Black/Hispanic, and that didn’t sit too well with them.

The early years of my son’s life were among the hardest I have endured. I and my husband had no idea about being parents. We were kids ourselves. From barely scraping enough money to pay the rent to being shocked with the transition from being fun-loving teens to being responsible for a little human being 24/7. Things got better as our son grew and we gained experienced and became wiser, but it was still a struggle. Not just because of raising a child but also strains in our relationship. But we got through it.

Our son is now 19 and in college. I couldn’t be prouder of the young man he’s turned into.

When he was 26, my husband started a business with his twin brother. It started slow and modestly in the first few years, but boomed soon after. Financially, we’re now in a very good position. My parents must have heard about it.

Recently, I received a Facebook message from my mother. She claimed to be sorry for disowning me, saying she made a terrible mistake and how she wishes she could take back all the time lost. Then she claimed my father had cancer and they needed money for treatment. This is after 20 years of no contact with me.

I thought I’d put everything behind me but the anger I felt when I read that message proves that I haven’t. I called a cousin back home and asked about the cancer. She said knows nothing about it. It hasn’t been mentioned in the family. She said if my dad had cancer, they would’ve all known.

This just served to heighten my anger. They are clearly looking for a handout and the fact they lied to me, saying my dad has cancer, is absolutely disgusting. I haven’t responded to the message. Part of me wants to respond to my mother, writing everything I feel in uncensored fashion. My husband says it’s best to just ignore the message – that answering it will only serve to hurt me farther. The logical part in me knows what he says is true, but the impulsive part wants to respond in scathing fashion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2017, 09:12 AM

Ah, made a mistake in the title. Was supposed to read "it's all about money."

Old 06-16-2017, 09:38 AM

2,454 posts, read 3,218,249 times
Welcome to City-Data!

Old 06-16-2017, 09:55 AM

4,096 posts, read 6,219,292 times
Wow so sorry you had to go through that. I know how hard that was, I too had no sane parenents to turn to. Shame on them for throwing you out and claiming that was in the name of religion, just shows how little they understand their faith. But they are your parents and you are in a no win situation. If you turn your back on them you will feel lousy, you already do, and it will be there eating away at you. And if you reunite they are disingenuous.

I had emotional disengagement with mine and connected with them on my terms. I saw to it that I did my best within reason. My faith required me to honor my parents, even though they didn't deserve one bit. It actually took till my dad was very old that we really finally connected. For last seven years of his life. I am glad it went the way it did but it wasn't easy.

You could request a proof from the doctor. But why don't they have health care? I'm sorry if they are scamming you. You sound like you really took your life your life by the horns and made it work, congrats!

Old 06-16-2017, 09:55 AM

16,421 posts, read 12,519,494 times
You don't owe her a response. You owe her nothing. She may have given you life, but she chose to withdraw her love and support for 20 years. Clearly she knows nothing of the unconditional love of a parent.

Please don't respond. Block her completely. And have no guilt doing it.

Old 06-16-2017, 09:56 AM

Location: Finally the house is done and we are in Port St. Lucie!
3,487 posts, read 3,341,226 times
Delete the message and block her name.

Old 06-16-2017, 09:59 AM

32,659 posts, read 48,067,543 times
I'd delete the message and block her, but I would first send a nice get well card to my "father" telling him I am so sorry he has cancer and am hoping he gets well soon.

Don' put a return address on it. Then move on with your life. You are doing fine without them, so no reason to change that.

Old 06-16-2017, 10:09 AM

16,421 posts, read 12,519,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
I'd delete the message and block her, but I would first send a nice get well card to my "father" telling him I am so sorry he has cancer and am hoping he gets well soon.

Don' put a return address on it. Then move on with your life. You are doing fine without them, so no reason to change that.
I wouldn't waste the money on the card and the stamp, especially since there's reason to believe he doesn't actually have cancer.

Old 06-16-2017, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
I wouldn't waste the money on the card and the stamp, especially since there's reason to believe he doesn't actually have cancer.
I know the cancer is fake. Growing up, when anyone in my family was (even with the smallest sickness) my mom made sure everyone knew. Believe me, if my dad had cancer, the entire extended family would know.

Old 06-16-2017, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robino1 View Post
Delete the message and block her name.
My husband said the same.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships