Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2018, 12:00 PM

6,885 posts, read 7,890,726 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
More bashing and stereotyping. I know many people in their 70s............................
Only to make a point. There are humans of all kinds all over and I find it ludicrous that a generational label (usually invented and promoted by the press) could truly represent such a broad group of people.

Please note, I did not say ALL people 75+. I gave conditions that indicate that a certain subgroup of people might be behaving in just as entitled a fashion as their grand children or great grandchildren.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2018, 12:21 PM

19,637 posts, read 12,226,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
Money. Big money.
Sell big house, get money. Spend money on care and smaller place. Maybe live to be really old and spend it all down.

What do you think the old age plan is for boomers and GenXers? Kids? lolol. We give to our kids freely, without expecting anything in return. Or let them pay for their own stuff. People who give up their retirement funds for their kids college are not doing themselves any favors.

Old 01-13-2018, 12:26 PM

855 posts, read 624,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emotiioo View Post
I am not a Millennial having recently turned 40, so this is not about me. I work with people from multiple generations. If I have to go to one more meeting and hear one more person complain about "millennials" I may lose it.

Are these people perfect? No. Do they readily embrace things older people might be less familiar with? Yes. But so goes youth. Is ANY generation perfect? Oh heavens no. What slays me is that often the loudest complainers are those with kids in this age group! So apparently they had nothing to do with how they turned out.

Anyone else tired of the pointless bashing of younger people?
As someone who works in retail, I find millennials to be among
the most polite and pleasant of customers to deal with.

-

Old 01-13-2018, 01:40 PM

28,671 posts, read 18,788,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
Sell big house, get money. Spend money on care and smaller place. Maybe live to be really old and spend it all down.
In most cases, that paid-for house is in an old, unpopular area that won't bring enough money for very much care, after having paid for a "smaller place."

Quote:
What do you think the old age plan is for boomers and GenXers? Kids? lolol. We give to our kids freely, without expecting anything in return. Or let them pay for their own stuff. People who give up their retirement funds for their kids college are not doing themselves any favors.
All retirement funds are perishable, as we learned in 2008.

Ultimately, we--that is, you or your children--will have to return to the plan that all the rest of humanity has used for all of human history: Parents will earn a living, grandparents will take care of younger children. Then older children take care of elderly grandparents. Then those children become parents and earn a living while their parents take care of their younger children. Repeat.

Old 01-13-2018, 03:56 PM

1,479 posts, read 1,309,828 times
Deleted. Wrong thread, Sorry

Old 01-14-2018, 04:39 PM

7,032 posts, read 14,485,551 times
I'm a Millennial.

I have a hard time taking seriously anyone who bashes any generation.

Old 01-18-2018, 06:43 PM

1,672 posts, read 1,250,684 times
As a group-- nope. The criticism and disapproval should have taken place a lot earlier in their lives honestly.

Old 01-18-2018, 07:48 PM

22,112 posts, read 29,585,134 times
One news article here in the UK actually described Millennials vs Baby Boomers as the defining schism in British politics today - now more than ever is voting defined by someone's age, whereas in the past it was based on things like income and upbringing. Millennials see Boomers as selfish and stubborn to change, Boomers see Millennials as lazy and narcissistic. The recent EU referendum is the perfect example of this divide - the Boomer generation voted Leave, they dislike immigration, are very patriotic and wish to return to a period of time that no longer exists. The Millennial generation voted Remain, are largely unconcerned by immigration, see themselves as European as well as British, and have no interest in returning to a period of time they were not alive to experience, and therefore have no connection to.

It's interesting. Then there are other issues like income and pensions - Boomers in the UK will receive more than they paid in when they retire, whereas other generations are forecast to receive much less. Likewise, Boomers have enjoyed growing incomes while the generations below have had stagnant or declining incomes, and again much of that is due to the government protecting pensions while unloading spending cuts on working-age adults.

Generation X is overlooked, by and large, but they have their own issues to contend with too.

The Boomer generation is dying off though, so that schism will soon disappear.

Last edited by dunno what to put here; 01-18-2018 at 08:04 PM..

Old 01-21-2018, 02:17 AM

1,702 posts, read 2,324,299 times
No they all deserve it

Old 01-21-2018, 10:27 AM

6,301 posts, read 4,197,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
One news article here in the UK actually described Millennials vs Baby Boomers as the defining schism in British politics today - now more than ever is voting defined by someone's age, whereas in the past it was based on things like income and upbringing. Millennials see Boomers as selfish and stubborn to change, Boomers see Millennials as lazy and narcissistic. The recent EU referendum is the perfect example of this divide - the Boomer generation voted Leave, they dislike immigration, are very patriotic and wish to return to a period of time that no longer exists. The Millennial generation voted Remain, are largely unconcerned by immigration, see themselves as European as well as British, and have no interest in returning to a period of time they were not alive to experience, and therefore have no connection to.

It's interesting. Then there are other issues like income and pensions - Boomers in the UK will receive more than they paid in when they retire, whereas other generations are forecast to receive much less. Likewise, Boomers have enjoyed growing incomes while the generations below have had stagnant or declining incomes, and again much of that is due to the government protecting pensions while unloading spending cuts on working-age adults.

Generation X is overlooked, by and large, but they have their own issues to contend with too.

The Boomer generation is dying off though, so that schism will soon disappear.
I think the media and others,especially politicians promote that divide and exploit it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships