Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-19-2017, 05:47 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,748,461 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
Strangers? These are people you see for 40 hours each week. And no one is saying the OP needs to be "deliriously happy" for these people. A simple congratulations is fine.
I see my neighbors for more than that and they are still strangers. Time does not equal a relationship.

Old 07-19-2017, 05:49 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,955,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Like Sugar View Post
Why? No one gets excited about the stuff that I'm doing. Nor do I expect them to.
When you can't be happy for others, it means you view the world as a victim, in terms of how EVERYTHING affects you. Instead of feeling a sense of empathy for others, you only care about what it means for you.

People aren't getting married and/or pregnant just to spite you. You can't frame what happens to other people in terms of YOUR life because it means you are a self-centered person who doesn't care about other people, which is no way to live. It's very unfulfilling, as you can see.

It's like someone removed a part of your brain that enables you to care, which sucks.

Old 07-19-2017, 05:51 PM

5,120 posts, read 16,599,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
...Where I used to work, the single women used to complain about it too. They always had to shell out money for gifts for a co-worker who was getting married or a shower gift for a baby. People would go around taking donations or sometimes we'd all be invited to the party at the person's house. I was married so I didn't "get" why they were so upset. After I thought about it, I understood.

These single women were not dual income earners yet they had to dole out money on a regular basis to people who had two incomes. The single women couldn't always quite afford it and they never got anything given to them. Some of them had no interest in marriage at all but they had to play along...
Being a single, childfree by choice, female, this has been an issue for me for yeeeeears. It's even worse here in Utah--highest birthrate in the US. I resented the many showers, weddings, engagement parties/events I was invited to partake in...aka "donate to." But do you know what I got from my former employer & co-workers when I graduated with my Bachelor's Degree after working there for 7 years? A greeting card. Yup. That was it.

The monumental/important life events in one person's life, don't always match up with other people's life events. I've been to a few wedding receptions for co-workers, & brought a decent gift. But I shouldn't feel obligated to do so, or judged if I don't participate. THAT is what gets to me.

Old 07-19-2017, 05:56 PM

14,078 posts, read 16,614,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
When you can't be happy for others, it means you view the world as a victim, in terms of how EVERYTHING affects you. Instead of feeling a sense of empathy for others, you only care about what it means for you.

People aren't getting married and/or pregnant just to spite you. You can't frame what happens to other people in terms of YOUR life because it means you are a self-centered person who doesn't care about other people, which is no way to live. It's very unfulfilling, as you can see.

It's like someone removed a part of your brain that enables you to care, which sucks.
Thanks for the analysis, but actually I am capable of caring about other people. But I'm not going to care about people's personal lives just because I happen to work with them.

Old 07-19-2017, 05:58 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,024,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
I see my neighbors for more than that and they are still strangers. Time does not equal a relationship.
You spend 40+ hours with your neighbors each week?

Old 07-19-2017, 05:59 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,955,675 times
Quote:
Thanks for the analysis...
You're welcome, since you did ask me for it.

Quote:
... but actually I am capable of caring about other people ....
... when you get something out of it.

Quote:
But I'm not going to care about people's personal lives just because I happen to work with them.
Then stop pretending and stand up for your feelings, if that's the way you want to live. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Old 07-19-2017, 06:00 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,024,982 times
Quote:
No, it's not. I'll have to say more than that.
No, you really don't have to say more then congratulations.

Old 07-19-2017, 06:01 PM

23,306 posts, read 18,852,325 times
Quote:
I actually recently met the new baby and it wasn't a traumatic experience for me or anything. He was cute and all, but like I said- babies don't really excite me.
Babies wouldn't excite me either but that doesn't mean I can't understand someone else's happiness. Maybe I'm wrong (my offices were primarily governmental not private sector), but it is unethical if not illegal for an employer to require their employees to contribute to parties and the like. Voluntary solicitations are OK, putting up a potluck sign up sheet is OK, but they can't force everyone to participate.

Acknowledge your co-workers' life-changing event with a friendly comment, a card, or do nothing. If the cost of the CARD also annoys you maybe keep a small collection of bargain basement cards in your desk and grab one when you need to. Think of all the unsolicited greeting cards people get in the mail from charities or other organizations...use them.

There's a reason you are reluctant to "look bad" or that your conscience bothers you if you do nothing...listen to it.

The last thing that occurs to me when someone announces a wedding, baby, or whatever is sex!

You probably would have hated the town of 400 I lived in for 16 years. One of the post office ladies sent every single person a birthday card every single year for no other reason than the enjoyment. She usually received 100 or so cards on HER birthday because she was such a kind person. In this same town people would bring get well, wedding, birth, congratulations, sympathy, or other life event cards to the local mom-pop market for others to sign if they chose to. I remember receiving one and can't express how the kind wishes made me feel.

Old 07-19-2017, 06:11 PM

1,544 posts, read 1,700,479 times
You are not celebrating their sex lives, you are celebrating major milestones in their lives. Do you consider celebrating your birthday as celebrating that your parents had sex? Don't you wish your co-workers well in their lives? Just get a card and be done with it.

Old 07-19-2017, 06:17 PM

14,078 posts, read 16,614,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retire in MB View Post
You are not celebrating their sex lives, you are celebrating major milestones in their lives. Do you consider celebrating your birthday as celebrating that your parents had sex? Don't you wish your co-workers well in their lives? Just get a card and be done with it.
I don't celebrate my birthday.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships