Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2017, 08:47 AM

49,932 posts, read 59,927,052 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen88 View Post
I don't work there, it's someone else's job to collect carts.
Thanks for proving the point LOL

"It's someone else's job..." is the beginning of the end of civilization.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2017, 08:48 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,529,606 times
That's a good one. Also, you can observe how clean or dirty their car is (inside and out).

Old 07-31-2017, 08:50 AM

10,501 posts, read 7,034,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
That's a good one. Also, you can observe how clean or dirty their car is (inside and out).
Well, the shining exception to that is if they have kids. Before I had kids, my car would have passed inspection by an annoyed brigadier general. When we had three small children, our car would have been condemned by the EPA. Now that they are all adults with their own cars, I'm back to having a clean car once again.

Old 07-31-2017, 09:01 AM

2,556 posts, read 2,283,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
Eh, I don't know about that. I always return my cart, will bring it all the way back into the store, if I have to, but my car isn't very clean. I have a 75# dog and a horse and am always hauling horse gear and whatever around. My car is also not garaged, so it ends up covered with dust and whatever. The cleanliness of my car is not a priority for me, but it affects no one but me, so I don't think you can really compare it to the cart return thing.

Old 07-31-2017, 09:06 AM

24,519 posts, read 10,846,327 times
My truck gets washed when it needs it. Additional washings seem to scare it into submission - who wants to get traded in after what we have been through together? I can wear white shorts but you can write your memoirs on the hood.

As I do not frequent fast food joints I will make it a point to do so should I ever be in need of a permanent room mate again which I hopefully will not be.

Old 07-31-2017, 09:30 AM

922 posts, read 791,364 times
Iused to work at a college that trained nurses. There was a break area outside with two large ashtrays and a couple of benches. 90% of these students would throw their cigarette butts on the ground next to the ashtray. This greatly disturbed me. If these folks were going to be healthcare workers and were too lazy to use the ashtray that was RIGHT THERE, what kind of nurses were they going to be?

Old 07-31-2017, 09:35 AM

1,659 posts, read 1,658,112 times
I return my cart and put the dirty tray back but I hardly think that makes me some kind of saint. I'm not sure if it points towards character or more so to laziness. It is annoying but not the final judgment on someone's moral compass.

Old 07-31-2017, 09:38 AM

49,932 posts, read 59,927,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1986pacecar View Post
I return my cart and put the dirty tray back but I hardly think that makes me some kind of saint. I'm not sure if it points towards character or more so to laziness. It is annoying but not the final judgment on someone's moral compass.
It's not a "final" judgment, but when it comes to character actions definitely speak louder than words.

Old 07-31-2017, 09:43 AM

10,501 posts, read 7,034,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1986pacecar View Post
It doesn't make one a saint. It makes you someone who is, at a basic and fundamental level, considerate of others.

My grandfather used to say two things: "It's not what people say, but rather what people do, that matters" and "Character is what someone does when no one else is watching." Mind you, we are talking about able-bodied, functioning adults. Heck, even when I had three small children having meltdowns in the grocery store lot, it would have never occurred to me to just leave the shopping cart outside the receptacle. You put the kids in the car seat, then put the cart back.

Someone who would simply abandon a shopping cart in the lot isn't just lazy, but rather unthinking about the effect their action (Or lack thereof) could have for other people's convenience, not to mention property. It's the little things that reveal who you are, you know.

Old 07-31-2017, 09:54 AM

1,659 posts, read 1,658,112 times
On a scale of 1 to 10 I would think that returning the cart would rank a 2 on the morality chart just behind holding the door open.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships