Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2017, 05:51 PM

10,196 posts, read 9,888,603 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellob View Post
Potential minor damage? My incident caused $600 just from rolling, no wind to increase velocity and damage.
In what world is $600 minor for a preventable incident? $600 is someone's rent or car payment or grocery budget. If I hadn't been able to stop the person, I'd either have to pay or have a damaged car. Why?
Many people are living month to month and $600 is a real setback.
I'm not a perfect person. I have hurt people who I care about, I've made bad decisions, etc but I don't intentionally do things to make strangers' lives harder.
The excuse you gave about your kids could have been solved if you asked for assistance at checkout. Someone could have provided carry out.
Anyone who pays for a dent repair over groceries is an idiot. If repairing the dent when you go to sell is an advantage, then do so. Otherwise your car has a smallish dent. Gasp.

Many stores do not offer car service, even with a request.

When my car was damaged by a rolling cart (one that had been in a stall), it cost me 1K. SUCKS. No doubt. but sometimes you just have to roll with it. I have seen so many carts get away from their person or roll out of the cart corral that I really would like to see stats on carts that got away and caused damage.

When I had young kids I lived in a city with a ton of crime. I witnessed a ton. No way on gods green earth would I ever have walked away to put my cart away unless it was 30 seconds or less. I did choose to park close to a corral if possible. But if not, I secured my cart, usually by putting the front wheels in a place that would keep it from rolling. And I have no guilt. And I don't believe it makes me a bad person. In the city I was in, no store offered carry out service and most would refuse if asked unless you were clearly disabled. Where I live now its very common to get help even if you don't ask.

Last winter I had the flu. When I finally was able to shop, I didn't bring back my cart. Sue me. Walking that extra was too much. So I hope no one judged me...so I am not going to judge others. Its called grace and more people here need to learn it.

So I try to give grace to people who choose to abandon their carts. Yes, some people suck...but I believe most people choose right when they have the opportunity.

And again, when I was a teen and worked for a grocery store, I had NOOOOOOO problem picking up carts from all over.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2017, 06:22 PM

3,532 posts, read 3,023,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
Anyone who pays for a dent repair over groceries is an idiot. If repairing the dent when you go to sell is an advantage, then do so. Otherwise your car has a smallish dent. Gasp.

Many stores do not offer car service, even with a request.

When my car was damaged by a rolling cart (one that had been in a stall), it cost me 1K. SUCKS. No doubt. but sometimes you just have to roll with it. I have seen so many carts get away from their person or roll out of the cart corral that I really would like to see stats on carts that got away and caused damage.

When I had young kids I lived in a city with a ton of crime. I witnessed a ton. No way on gods green earth would I ever have walked away to put my cart away unless it was 30 seconds or less. I did choose to park close to a corral if possible. But if not, I secured my cart, usually by putting the front wheels in a place that would keep it from rolling. And I have no guilt. And I don't believe it makes me a bad person. In the city I was in, no store offered carry out service and most would refuse if asked unless you were clearly disabled. Where I live now its very common to get help even if you don't ask.

Last winter I had the flu. When I finally was able to shop, I didn't bring back my cart. Sue me. Walking that extra was too much. So I hope no one judged me...so I am not going to judge others. Its called grace and more people here need to learn it.

So I try to give grace to people who choose to abandon their carts. Yes, some people suck...but I believe most people choose right when they have the opportunity.

And again, when I was a teen and worked for a grocery store, I had NOOOOOOO problem picking up carts from all over.
I got the $600 and repaired my car. It wasn't just a dent, it was a scrape. I might be an idiot but I'm an idiot with a nice car.

Old 07-31-2017, 06:30 PM

4,242 posts, read 947,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen88 View Post
If the cart won't stay where I put it, I find somewhere it will stay, even if I have to go to the corral, because I do not want to damage anyone's car. .
I'm glad you don't want to damage someone's car ... but I don't understand. Where is the somewhere you find for it to stay (other than the dreaded corral)? In an empty parking spot? On the grass on the edge of the parking lot? It seems to me this just makes it a lot more difficult for the high school kid who has to collect all these errant carts, and if they're in a parking space, then others have to avoid parking in that spot. Makes no sense to me.

Old 07-31-2017, 06:31 PM

10,502 posts, read 7,043,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellob View Post
I got the $600 and repaired my car. It wasn't just a dent, it was a scrape. I might be an idiot but I'm an idiot with a nice car.
Yeah. Some of us prefer to not drive around in something that looks like a prop out of the Beverly Hillbillies.

Old 07-31-2017, 06:34 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,958,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinivanDriver View Post
People who put shopping carts back versus people who just leave them around the parking lot.

Or people who walk away from their trays in a fast food restaurant rather than cleaning up after themselves.

Whenever I've begun a relationship with anyone, whether romantic or business, I always watch to see how that person treats the waiter. Because in six months that's how that person will be treating me.

Anyway, interesting article.

https://www.craigdacy.com/single-pos...Says-About-You
I'm with you OP. Any excuse not to clean up after oneself, whether it be a grocery cart or a food tray, is just that, an excuse. Some excuses may be legitimate, most are not. Nobody is going to be put out of work because the rest of us use the cart corrals. Somebody still has to retrieve them, and often empty them of trash.

I see it every day at the charity I work for. 98% of the people are lovely, and appreciative. But those 2%, who think nothing of leaving a mess behind, certainly leave a bad impression behind, along with their trash.

Old 07-31-2017, 06:46 PM

3,302 posts, read 3,028,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinivanDriver View Post
People who put shopping carts back versus people who just leave them around the parking lot.

Or people who walk away from their trays in a fast food restaurant rather than cleaning up after themselves.

Whenever I've begun a relationship with anyone, whether romantic or business, I always watch to see how that person treats the waiter. Because in six months that's how that person will be treating me.
I used to work in Human Resources and my boss would always ask me how a candidate for a top level job interacted with me. If there was a discrepancy between how nice they were to me vs. how they treated her, she would not hire them. She didn't care whether they were outgoing and super nice or introverted and kind of gruff, just whether there was a marked difference in the respect they showed me and what they showed her.

In other jobs, I have had a boss ask me my impression of a job candidate, and if I said they were rude to me, they did not get the job.

It always amazed me how an otherwise intelligent seeming person would show their true colors to the underlings and then kiss up to the top brass. Big mistake.

Old 08-01-2017, 12:49 AM

4,248 posts, read 4,163,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robino1 View Post
Lazy is just that, lazy.
Well said.

Old 08-01-2017, 01:09 AM

9,511 posts, read 6,105,402 times
I'm divided on this:

I always clean up after myself & mine & I have to do so on almost a daily basis. Youngest son is 13 but is disabled & in diapers until age 8. If he uses a public restroom; you will be glad I'm there to check & clean. It's so bad that at home, the toilet seat is left unbolted & it stays off until a female needs to use it & comes back off again when you are done.

If you want to see me turn into Momzilla; leave the seat on & see what happens when I run in there & find a stinky, drippy seat. Ugh! I always clean up tables too. Had a friend who tended bar & she used to laugh at me because if I stood at the bar to talk to her long enough I'd grab her dish rag & start wiping down the bar.

I wasn't really aware of it; she'd say "Umm; you don't really have to do that ..." It was instinct I guess. I have a lot of kids ...

Carts? Different outcome for the same reason: I have a disabled child. I put him in car first, load the car from the cart & park the cart against a pole or curb. I don't go wandering through parking lots with carts while leaving my son in the car.

He is not a toddler in a 5-point restraint; he is 5'11/189 lbs. He's safer in the car than out but he requires line-of-sight supervision at all times.

I don't feel like I'm giving anyone a raw deal ... actually; I'd be willing to trade the carts for having to clean public restrooms any day!

Old 08-01-2017, 01:38 AM

5,485 posts, read 3,929,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen88 View Post
Read the article, then look at the comments below it, which the writer acknowledged in advance, that there are exceptions to very rule. I am a cart "deserter". I leave it on the four corners of the spots, where someone can park and usually get it out if no other car is too far over. I never just leave it IN a space, meaning never where it would prevent someone from pulling in. If the corral is right next to me, then I'll put it in. I don't work there, it's someone else's job to collect carts. You can put it on one of those medians, too. Another exception is a person with difficulty walking may use the cart to lean on. If it's right there as they get out of their car, the walk inside is a lot easier for them. I don't think it's a black and white issue.

The only thing that is black and white is it is wrong to leave a cart so that someone cannot pull into a space, or behind the car next to you as you drive off.
I don't know where you're doing your grocery shopping, but where I am, the carts are returned by workers from the parking lot (ideally from the corrals in those lots) to a large space in the front entryway of the store, where they are easily accessed by all who enter. There is no need for enhancing the convenience of a system that is already perfectly convenient as is. I do respect the effort you put into rationalizing your laziness, though.

Old 08-01-2017, 01:42 AM

5,485 posts, read 3,929,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
My truck gets washed when it needs it. Additional washings seem to scare it into submission - who wants to get traded in after what we have been through together? I can wear white shorts but you can write your memoirs on the hood.

As I do not frequent fast food joints I will make it a point to do so should I ever be in need of a permanent room mate again which I hopefully will not be.
one of the more puzzling posts I've seen in a while
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships