Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2017, 12:06 AM

10,114 posts, read 19,409,201 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastBoundandDownChick View Post
That I'm upset when I'm not at all. I've just always had resting b face lol.
Same here....I just had a dental appointment today, and I felt fine. They were doing a crown. I wasn't in the least bit nervous, actually I felt a little bored. But for some reason they thought I was upset about something. Look, I'm NOT afraid of the dentist! Maybe the face I pulled had him afraid of me?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2017, 02:29 PM
Status: "In the words of Steve Winwood, Roll With It!" (set 29 days ago)

296 posts, read 217,587 times
I'm a straight guy, but several times recently someone has mistaken me for a woman, calling me "ma'am", since I started wearing my hair at a length typical of a short-haired woman, also some of my (unisex) clothing choices, and the way I wear them.

I don't get my undies in a wad over it, I've been trying to have a little more pizzazz, and I take this as a sign that it's working!

Old 09-19-2017, 02:56 PM

4,039 posts, read 3,775,084 times
That I'm anti-social and don't like talking to people.

Old 09-20-2017, 09:21 AM

26,700 posts, read 41,748,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mid America Lifer View Post
I'm a straight guy, but several times recently someone has mistaken me for a woman, calling me "ma'am", since I started wearing my hair at a length typical of a short-haired woman, also some of my (unisex) clothing choices, and the way I wear them.

I don't get my undies in a wad over it, I've been trying to have a little more pizzazz, and I take this as a sign that it's working!
This is a better problem than I have. Everyone accuses me of being gay because I speak proper English and am intelligent despite being from the hood.

Old 09-20-2017, 09:43 AM

226 posts, read 214,795 times
At this stage of my life I don't think people have any misconceptions about me. I am pretty much "What you see is what you get". I am polite to people but I don't put up with a lot. I will give anyone an inch and then cut off anyone who tries to take a mile. I am helpful but I expect people to try to help themselves. If they are happy to just let me do everything for them without doing anything for themselves I stop helping (except for my husband because he can't help it). I try to be tactful but truthful. I have been through enough in my life that I have zero patience for people who live their lives acting like a victim.

Old 09-20-2017, 09:56 AM

20,764 posts, read 19,976,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
This is a better problem than I have. Everyone accuses me of being gay because I speak proper English and am intelligent despite being from the hood.
You do know that usually it is a compliment because gay people tend to take care of their exterior? All otherwise manly guys I know who get accused of being gay are clean, well dressed, and well groomed.

Old 09-20-2017, 10:11 AM

26,700 posts, read 41,748,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
You do know that usually it is a compliment because gay people tend to take care of their exterior? All otherwise manly guys I know who get accused of being gay are clean, well dressed, and well groomed.
It may be a compliment in LA but it sure ain't one in Virginia. I've lived here nearly 25 years, I know.

Old 09-20-2017, 11:05 AM

17,635 posts, read 22,643,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
FWIW....John Wayne's first name was Marian. Also my mother once dated a guy named Marian......
John Wayne's first name is Marion...

Old 09-20-2017, 12:11 PM

44,359 posts, read 20,066,476 times
People assume that because I can perform (sing) in front of hundreds of people I am also comfortable with public speaking. They couldn't be more wrong. Although I sometimes am called upon to make a speech or give a presentation at a private or public event, what the audience doesn't know is that I'm so terrified that my knees shake, my hands tremble and I can hardly stand up at the podium.

Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.

Old 09-20-2017, 12:22 PM

988 posts, read 1,018,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
Same here....I just had a dental appointment today, and I felt fine. They were doing a crown. I wasn't in the least bit nervous, actually I felt a little bored. But for some reason they thought I was upset about something. Look, I'm NOT afraid of the dentist! Maybe the face I pulled had him afraid of me?
I have similar experiences sometimes. My resting face is occasionally perceived as serious or upset, and I'm not trying to convey either sentiment. Sometimes if I'm waiting to pick up an order at a store or restaurant, the person repeatedly apologizes to me for any delay as if I'm appearing to be really upset, when I'm not at all. I guess to the extent that it gets me faster service, I'll take it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships