Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: If you are of adult age, do you happen to be estranged from your mother and/or your father?
Yes 47 51.65%
No 44 48.35%
Voters: 91. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2016, 11:15 PM

1,190 posts, read 1,027,456 times

Advertisements

If you are of adult age, do you happen to be estranged from your mother and/or your father?

Poll included.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2016, 06:31 AM

26,700 posts, read 41,758,476 times
My father is dead but I spent most of his life estranged from him. He thought a bottle of gin was important than raising his son so he was hardly there. If he were alive I'd still wouldn't talk to him at all.

My mother, we're okay I guess, but we don't have a super close loving relationship because I remind her of my father a lot. In a sense, you could say we're estranged since our history and different lifestyles will probably never be conducive to a super loving relationship.

Old 11-28-2016, 11:53 AM

4,668 posts, read 3,902,291 times
I didn't vote. I see my parents frequently, but honestly, I don't like my father very much. He's a good person, been a good husband, etc. but he was never a good father to me. He was never around and forced things upon me that I really didn't like, I mean really didn't like. We talk maybe once a month and I see him at all the holidays, but we are not close and we never will be. I have 2 brothers, only my oldest brother is close to my father. My middle brother moved away, a big reason was because they wanted to get away from my family. My family just isn't a very caring family. Sure we all love each other, but I don't think we really like each other. I'm closest to my brother who moved away. I have a good relationship with my mom as well.

I moved away for about 3 years when I was younger, early 20's, and honestly, those were some of the best years of my life. My work brought me back to my hometown, otherwise I would never have come back, just for holidays. My wife and I are planning on moving away in about a year when our business lease is up, so we will see how that goes.

How my family treats my wife is incredibly disappointing. She tried to get to know them, took a lot of time to get them gifts for birthdays and Christmas. They don't even get her anything. My sister in law gave my wife a used t-shirt last year, it has a huge stain on it. I feel so embarrassed by them and somewhat angry by how they have treated my wife.

When my parents pass away, I don't see much glue holding our family together.

Old 11-28-2016, 11:58 AM

22,859 posts, read 6,441,299 times
Mine are both gone but I was never estranged from either one.

Old 11-28-2016, 12:17 PM

10,196 posts, read 9,892,275 times
You need more options on your poll

I was, for several years, estranged from both my parents. Over the past few months I started contact again. I guess they are old and I feel kind of bad about them mostly being on their own. But its coming back to bite me because I am dealing with a lot of anxiety and anger again, just from little "nothing" comments from them and them not remember the abuse they put me through...or claiming not to remember. It actually makes me super mad and I am having trouble sleeping because of anger and anxiety from it.

I don't know...I hope I can balance somehow keeping contact (and the good parts of them) and dealing with my feelings about who they are.

My parents are not allowed contact with my children and my husband chooses not to have contact. And the only contact we have is occasional calls. So we are kind of in the middle, so I didn't do the poll.

Old 11-28-2016, 12:24 PM

9,196 posts, read 7,236,969 times
Yes. One for 31 years, the other for 20 years. No complaints.

Old 11-28-2016, 01:34 PM

20,764 posts, read 19,984,458 times
No, I talk to them regularly. We had a rough patch throughout my teens and 20s but we all grew out of it and get along great now. You only got one set of parents (usually), so you better make the best out of it if possible.

Old 11-28-2016, 01:36 PM

15,072 posts, read 10,110,560 times
Short periods of time... but I wouldn't say estranged. Now that I'm an adult with my own life out from under my parent's roof, things have gotten better.... I am still guarded.

Old 11-28-2016, 01:38 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,718,061 times
My parents are both dead but I was never estranged from them. In fact, we lived across the street from them when my father died and until my mother moved to an assisted living facility. They were not perfect parents by any means, but they loved all their children and showed us often.

Old 11-28-2016, 01:45 PM

4,103 posts, read 7,028,376 times
I do not speak with my father. He has an uncontrolled bipolar disorder that causes too much pain and drama. If he were to take medication and stay on it, we would probably have a relationship. He always stops taking his medication when he feels better or takes it with alcohol which isn't a good combo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships