Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2017, 01:18 PM

6,915 posts, read 3,951,965 times

Advertisements

I work front desk for a steel company, so I am often at my desk when the mail arrives. In addition to the business I work for, we also have a space in our front building (with a different street number) that we've rented out to various small businesses over the years, usually to welding supply places. We just had one business vacate that space and a new one come in. About 12 years ago we got the address number changed for that space so that whoever was renting it would get their mail instead of us receiving it.

Yesterday, in addition to our mail, we received an envelope from Spectrum (the company that took over Time Warner Cable) that was addressed to the recently-departed business, CW, as well as to someone who must be the manager, but to our street address (we are 566, CW is 564). I caught it just as the carrier was walking out the door, and I hailed him back, saying "this isn't ours." He pointed out that it was addressed to 566 - well, 566 is OUR address, 564 is theirs, a fact that seemed to be completely lost on him.

After he left, I wrote "return to Sender, no longer at this address" and this morning put it in with our outgoing mail. When he walked in he asked me if I had looked at that piece of mail from yesterday, and I said I had put "Return to sender" on it and put it in the outgoing mail. I repeated the fact that it is not OUR MAIL just because it was addressed to our address. It is addressed to a business that was our tenant down front, nothing else, no other connection. They are gone now, and another business has taken their place. It's not our job to hunt these people down and get their mail to them. He asked to speak to our company president, who was on the phone at the time, and he said he would try to speak to him tomorrow.

I don't know what there is to speak about. I did what every reference I can find on the subject says to do when you get mail that is not addressed to you, I put RTS on it and put it back in the system. Hell, I get mail from time to time at my home address that isn't addressed to me, but has my full address verbatim on the front, with the name of a former tenant. And it clearly is not junk mail. I just put RTS on it and mail it.

This guy is not a sub, either. He is a career Regular City Carrier and has been working the route we are on for 6,7 years now. You would think he would know the Postal regulations regarded mis-delivered or wrongly-addressed mail.

/rant
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2017, 02:04 PM

16,421 posts, read 12,510,794 times
You did nothing wrong. If he continues to make an issue of it, I think it warrants a call to the Postmaster.

Old 09-21-2017, 02:10 PM

15,590 posts, read 15,677,065 times
I wish so much that I could persuade people to complain, in writing, to the post office, starting with the carrier supervisor, on up.

Of course, you did exactly right, because the RTS ideally lets the sender know. Even for junk mail - that's how to stop it.

Old 09-21-2017, 02:24 PM

1,225 posts, read 1,234,310 times
Historically the post office would deliver to each tenant of a building, but technically they are not obligated to do so and with budget cuts they are really cutting down. I work in the construction industry and for the past few years when registering new addresses, the post office has notified us that we must provide a central mail box (like apartments have)--the mail man will deliver to the mailboxes, but s/he won't walk through the building dropping off or picking up mail at each suite. And tenants have to take their own outgoing mail down to the central mailbox and drop them in the outbox. Carriers just don't have the time anymore.

Also note, 'Return to Sender' means that the address is correct but the addressee/name is not at that address any longer (or never was). 'Misdelivered' is the appropriate term if the envelope was left at the wrong address (and the addressee may or may not be correct).

Old 09-22-2017, 12:52 AM

2,609 posts, read 2,190,478 times
I keep getting mail at my home address for a financial company. Personal and business stuff I am sure would be upsetting if it got into the wrong hands for 20 years on and off. Someone somewhere has the wrong address. I contacted post Master, tried to call the institution but it's a 7 story office with multiple entities so who to tell. Example of address, 1200 Candy Lane North =my address but has different zip and city name.It's the right city and zip for financial institution but address should be 1255 Candy Lane South., there is no 1200 Candy Lane South.

So I take a big black marker and write RETURN TO SENDER, NO SUCH ADDRESS, PLEASE CONTACT WHOEVER GAVE THIS ADDRESS TO CORRECT THEIR RECORDS.

still get stuff, it's slowed down a lot lately.

OP there is no reason that mailman is having a hissy fit about you marking RTS, no longer at this address. If old business set up with post office to have his mail forwarded good, but not up to you to mess with it. If whoever wants new forwarding address they can pay a extra fee to post office to get forwarding addresses next time they send mail to old address.

Old 09-22-2017, 02:27 AM

382 posts, read 513,444 times
Your mailman has some big old stones wanting to tell you company president what's what...

My mailman absolutely sucks, to the point that I now have a PO box so if someone sends something to my actual house address, there's only about a 10% chance I'll actually get it. However, on the road to trying to get my mailman to not suck, I actually fired off an email to whatever generic .gov address USPS uses on their website where I complained about the service (I was, and sometimes still do, get packages for my neighbor, and vice versa... except some of my neighbors are d-bags and will just steal those packages instead of bother to walk them down the street a house) and was SHOCKED to get a personal response from my local post master about my problems and they would immediately correct the situation with the driver.

Then the next time I saw him maybe a couple of weeks later he personally apologized too. Keep in mind, he never got any better, but he was sorry about it.

Sooo... based on my experience, if your company prez gets pissed and hauls off at the post office over him, he WILL hear about it. Why that guy would invite trouble upon himself is anyone's guess...

Old 09-22-2017, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max_is_here View Post
Your mailman has some big old stones wanting to tell you company president what's what...

Sooo... based on my experience, if your company prez gets pissed and hauls off at the post office over him, he WILL hear about it. Why that guy would invite trouble upon himself is anyone's guess...
I think he wants to complain about the fact that I was refusing the mail because it had our address on it, but not our business name, plus the person's name that was listed above the business name isn't someone who works for us. He kept insisting that because the address was ours that we should accept the mail as if it was our business name above it.

Hey, I've gotten mail at my home address with previous tenants' names on it, that doesn't make it mine.

Hopefully, he will come when I am out to lunch. I'm taking a 12-1 lunch (normally my lunch is 1-2:00) because our AR clerk is out today, our mutual boss is leaving at 1:00, so I need to pick up where she "leaves off" re: orders that go on credit hold. There's no one at the desk (the phone goes on auto) when I go to lunch then, because my sub also goes at 12, and I know these guys are on a timer when they are out delivering, so he can't hang around forever.

I hope he's taken some time to let his ego recede and to reflect on which foot the shoe is on (we're the customer, not him, or the Postal Service), and that maybe escalating this might not be in his best interest.

Old 09-22-2017, 07:02 AM

3,671 posts, read 3,558,235 times
Personally, I would give my boss a heads up on this man's behavior and request. So she/he knows what to expect, and your sane position on it.

Old 09-22-2017, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerraDown View Post
Personally, I would give my boss a heads up on this man's behavior and request. So she/he knows what to expect, and your sane position on it.
I've been thinking about that, too.

Old 09-22-2017, 07:37 AM

15,144 posts, read 27,791,000 times
For those of you getting mail at your address for someone else - why aren't you writing "not at this address" (no such person/business at this address - or something along those lines?) on it? You all keep writing "No such address" there IS! Yours!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships