Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2017, 03:28 AM

7,592 posts, read 4,163,667 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by emotiioo View Post
Do you know anyone who does the "backhanded dis"?

For example, if you say, got a new car, they would say "That's a nice car. But you know what kind of car is REALLY awesome? X car." This is not the kind of car you have.

Or if you were dating someone new. They might say "Oh he/she seems great. But do you know who REALLY has a good looking/smart/interesting partner? So and so." Again this isn't you.

Or your kid wins the spelling bee. "Oh, she is a good speller. But do you know who has a REALLY smart kid? So and so." (Not your kid.)

I have a family member who has done this for years. Recently we had a conversation that went along these lines and I found myself thinking back on many others. Its always the same-- yeah, you are okay but so and so or such and such is just WAY better!"

Does anyone have a clever strategy or come back for these comments? Do you know anyone who does this?
My only nonclever strategy with this is to go along for a few minutes and move on to people who are better suited for conversation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2017, 04:13 AM

49,927 posts, read 59,955,675 times
Those examples sound like forehanded disses to me!

My husband's aunt is the queen of what you're describing though. One Thanksgiving the whole family was together and The Sound of Music was on. I mentioned that I would love to take the Sound of Music tour of Salzburg one day, and she said, "The residents there really hate that."

Guess who has never even been to Salzburg lol. That salty heifer ...

Old 11-07-2017, 05:49 AM

3,850 posts, read 4,154,110 times
I think the best response is silence, perhaps coupled with a steely gaze.

Old 11-07-2017, 06:20 AM

4,004 posts, read 2,083,450 times
Ignore it and stay on your topic. "Yes, she won a cute ribbon and another prize. We are very proud of her."

"I love how it handles, the sound system, and the MPG on my car is great."

Steer the convo back on topic. Don't let them take you where you don't want to go.

Old 11-07-2017, 06:56 AM

11,582 posts, read 6,738,871 times
My new neighbor does this EVERY time I speak to her. She lives about 5 houses down, so I only see her at the bus stop in the morning. All her conversations are this way, basically having a comment on anything I (or anyone) might say. It's VERY annoying and she has basically pissed off everyone on the block to the point I (and everyone else on our block) avoid her as much as possible and just ignore her now. She obviously has some issues going on with herself to act like this!

Old 11-07-2017, 07:05 AM

6,303 posts, read 4,199,353 times
I love the steely eye raised eyebrow look and staying on topic ��

Old 11-07-2017, 07:15 AM

3,262 posts, read 5,003,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emotiioo View Post
Do you know anyone who does the "backhanded dis"?

For example, if you say, got a new car, they would say "That's a nice car. But you know what kind of car is REALLY awesome? X car." This is not the kind of car you have.

Or if you were dating someone new. They might say "Oh he/she seems great. But do you know who REALLY has a good looking/smart/interesting partner? So and so." Again this isn't you.

Or your kid wins the spelling bee. "Oh, she is a good speller. But do you know who has a REALLY smart kid? So and so." (Not your kid.)

I have a family member who has done this for years. Recently we had a conversation that went along these lines and I found myself thinking back on many others. Its always the same-- yeah, you are okay but so and so or such and such is just WAY better!"

Does anyone have a clever strategy or come back for these comments? Do you know anyone who does this?
This is classic passive-aggressive behavior. I'm not a therapist, but it just sounds to me like the person you're talking to doesn't feel good about herself, and to make herself feel better she puts you down, but in a backhanded way. That way she can't be accused of actually criticizing you.

But I wonder ... how does she know about your new car, the new person you're dating, your kid's success at the spelling bee? Could it be that she thinks you boast too much about the successes in your life, and this is her way of putting you down?

Old 11-07-2017, 07:16 AM

6,473 posts, read 6,679,753 times
I like the suggestion above to ask, "Are you trying to make me feel bad?" Then just give them the look that says you are truly waiting for a response to your question. If they're being clods unintentionally, this question would force them to realize what they're actually implying. If they ARE doing it intentionally, it will force them to answer the question as to why they would be so rude and hurtful.

Old 11-07-2017, 07:26 AM

3,248 posts, read 2,457,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WellShoneMoon View Post
This is classic passive-aggressive behavior. I'm not a therapist, but it just sounds to me like the person you're talking to doesn't feel good about herself, and to make herself feel better she puts you down, but in a backhanded way. That way she can't be accused of actually criticizing you.

But I wonder ... how does she know about your new car, the new person you're dating, your kid's success at the spelling bee? Could it be that she thinks you boast too much about the successes in your life, and this is her way of putting you down?
All of these were examples that were not taken directly from my life and were given as a "for instance." I don't have a child for one. Basically if anything comes up organically like lets say we are moving...thats what is going on in our lives, this person will say that there's a better place to move. You really just can't talk about anything, much less brag. This individual always knows better.

Old 11-07-2017, 07:46 AM

13,262 posts, read 8,029,628 times
In my opinion, what you're describing isn't really a backhanded anything. You are being compared, and come up lacking.

Now...I used to know someone who handed out back handed compliments. One I particularly remember was "What cute pants! Usually you don't look good in that color, but it works this time!"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships