Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2017, 06:47 AM

8,590 posts, read 12,365,087 times

Advertisements

Air travel is just not as difficult as you are making it out to be. Use whatever backpack or duffle bag you own. Certainly an iron is available for any wrinkles. I've never been in a hotel room that did not have one. If staying with family, I'm sure they own one. It's just not that hard.

Follow the rules for limits on liquids which are available on the TSA website.

Old 11-21-2017, 06:48 AM

11,904 posts, read 5,597,764 times
If I was lucky enough to have a sibling, I would be happy to see him or her, regardless of attire.

Old 11-21-2017, 06:57 AM

8,007 posts, read 10,441,770 times
Honestly, I would just assume that any adult would have at least one decent outfit, especially if they are gainfully employed. And as a previous poster said, any hotel or home you are staying in will have an iron.

Old 11-21-2017, 07:02 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,481,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
One item I will note is that I don't wear synthetics either in office buildings nor on aircraft. It is the concern about fire and such melting.

Now, in this particular case, I'm not flying in synthetics but cottons, wool, and leather. Any synthetics I would have, minus the field jacket, would be in, probably, checked baggage. The field jacket will be with me flying but it is easily jettisonable, as it goes.
And notice the poster didn't say anything about flying in synthetics; she specifically gave you a clothing option that could be crammed into a backpack and pulled out and worn to dinner without ironing.

But you really seem to not want to hear any suggestions.

Old 11-21-2017, 07:07 AM

3,125 posts, read 2,076,254 times
Quote:
Ie, the one that doesn't have any formal clothes, who barely hangs things up when they come out of the dryer, who is just as happy as pulling clean clothes out of a laundry bag and wearing that? Whose travel luggage consists of back packs?

Here's the catch......I'm that sibling.

Thanksgiving is the home coming and I was just informed "Oh, you might want something formal for the last night's dinner".

Between not being in that life style, having lost a lot of weight, still unpacking from the move (where a lot was lost in OPERATION: WHIRLWIND), and preparing to fly for the first time since before 9/11, they just asked the impossible on very short notice.

My highest standard is business casual and around my business, we are very casual. I'm probably the better dressed, of technical staff, with jeans and a tactical shirt, but that's it.
Are you saying that you consider jeans and a tactical shirt to be business casual?

You should have asked him to define "formal". It means black tie to me but he may have meant something dressier than your business casual. Maybe he said formal to ensure that you kick it up a notch or two ... no work clothes or circus costumes. It's kind of like telling someone who's always late that an event starts an hour earlier to ensure they make it on time.

Old 11-21-2017, 07:12 AM

30,193 posts, read 11,840,179 times
Quote:
Okay.

How soon should one get out the dress code for a family get together during the holidays?

Or.......is it just expected that everyone will have formal clothes always and will know how to travel (ie, have the necessary luggage always) with them always?

I must admit, I remember one grand aunt who had a sweat shirt (with sweat pants) that said, "At my age, this is as dressed up as I get!".
I would just wear whatever you want. Personally I would totally ignore such a request. What is going to happen are you going to get grounded?

Old 11-21-2017, 07:23 AM

23,652 posts, read 14,029,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimplySagacious View Post
Are you saying that you consider jeans and a tactical shirt to be business casual?
Yes.

It reminds me of a psychology conference where it was "business casual" and most the psychologists there were in suits and the like.

One was in faded blue jeans, an open collar white shirt, and a faded denim jacket. He was out of west Texas and I guess that was "business casual" for him.

Quote:
You should have asked him to define "formal". It means black tie to me but he may have meant something dressier than your business casual. Maybe he said formal to ensure that you kick it up a notch or two ... no work clothes or circus costumes. It's kind of like telling someone who's always late that an event starts an hour earlier to ensure they make it on time.
He said a jacket. I told him not possible due to that even if that made to move, it was done in 2004 and I now have my 1996 body.

Old 11-21-2017, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackwinkelman View Post
I would just wear whatever you want. Personally I would totally ignore such a request. What is going to happen are you going to get grounded?
Depends on where "the last night's dinner" is being held. Formal attire may be required.

Old 11-21-2017, 07:25 AM

6,039 posts, read 6,061,490 times
Would it kill you to go to Ross or Marshalls and get a $75 jacket and black jeans or skirt that you'll have for the rest of your life?
Or is this just another storytelling, no advice heeded thread?
I haven't worn a suit and tie for 20 years but I still have one...

Old 11-21-2017, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Yes.

It reminds me of a psychology conference where it was "business casual" and most the psychologists there were in suits and the like.

One was in faded blue jeans, an open collar white shirt, and a faded denim jacket. He was out of west Texas and I guess that was "business casual" for him.

He said a jacket. I told him not possible due to that even if that made to move, it was done in 2004 and I now have my 1996 body.
Can you skip "the last night's dinner"? Cancel the whole trip? Rearrange your day to work in time to go shopping? Go shopping after you get there?

You have choices. It's as if you are looking for excuses to cancel but your excuses are irrational. Did his last minute request add another layer of anxiety on top of what you were already feeling about the flight?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships