Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2017, 01:13 PM

11 posts, read 10,930 times

Advertisements

I've posted my story here before. The basic gist is that I'm a 25 year old Native American girl who is trying to start a relationship with a white guy. My mom is very controlling and only wants me dating other Native Americans and ever since she found out about this white guy, she's started a whole bunch of rules and restrictions such as not allowing me near any non-Native men without her permission, and taking away my phone so as not to contact the white guy.

The advice I heard from everyone is that I need to just move out and finally live independently. The problem with that is that my mom doesn't want me leaving the house until I'm married and to move out before marriage would mean me being disowned from the family and risking me and her never speaking again. The same thing happened with her and my brother a few years ago and they still don't talk to this day.

My goal right now is to get out of this house, however I've had my grandmother (my mother's mom) tell me that it's "foolish" to move out and risk my relationship with my mom just to date one guy. My grandmother isn't around often and she herself doesn't believe the stories about how controlling my mom is. Long story short, she doesn't approve of me moving out.

Do you think it's a good idea for me to go through with this? I obviously love my family, but I finally want the ability to do what I want without my mom looming over me 24/7. And moving out isn't JUST so I can date this guy. I just want some freedom in general, though I know my mom is going to put up a fight and try to prevent me from moving out. What do you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2017, 01:21 PM

2,695 posts, read 3,774,008 times
I read this and your other posts just now. If I were you, I would move out immediately. You need your independence from your mother assuming you are the age you say you are. The dynamics of your relationship with your mother sound co-dependent and unhealthy.

Old 11-27-2017, 01:22 PM

16,421 posts, read 12,522,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by modelfanatic View Post
My goal right now is to get out of this house, however I've had my grandmother (my mother's mom) tell me that it's "foolish" to move out and risk my relationship with my mom just to date one guy.
You're not moving out just to date one guy. You're moving out to gain control over your life as an adult.

IF you have the financial means to support yourself, you should move out.

Old 11-27-2017, 01:23 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,576,488 times
Move out.

Old 11-27-2017, 01:25 PM

34,236 posts, read 18,594,984 times
Can you afford to get your own place? It's not just about this "one guy". Even if things don't work out with him you should have your freedom to be with whom you want. Your Mom shouldn't be controlling you like this, restricting you, and taking your phone. That is ridiculous, and your grandmother is just your Mom's accomplice. Get out now. If your Mom truly disowns you over this she doesn't really love you.

Old 11-27-2017, 01:26 PM

16,709 posts, read 19,422,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by modelfanatic View Post
The same thing happened with her and my brother a few years ago and they still don't talk to this day.
So your mother didn't learn.

Get out; she will never change.

Old 11-27-2017, 01:28 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,576,488 times
This is based on his real life and he got his parents to come around eventually.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jcD0Daqc3Yw

Old 11-27-2017, 01:56 PM

6,562 posts, read 8,400,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
You're not moving out just to date one guy. You're moving out to gain control over your life as an adult.

IF you have the financial means to support yourself, you should move out.
This, OP.

It's not about this guy. It's about being able to make your own decisions. About living your life for you, not your mother.

I encourage you to connect with your brother. Since he's done it, he can provide emotional and mental support, and help you navigate the world outside of your mother's control.

Old 11-27-2017, 02:11 PM

29,747 posts, read 34,409,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HokieFan View Post
It's not about this guy. It's about being able to make your own decisions. About living your life for you, not your mother.

I encourage you to connect with your brother. Since he's done it, he can provide emotional and mental support, and help you navigate the world outside of your mother's control.
^^^ This is a good idea. Your brother can be a source of support for you as you're going through this transition. Your mom is always going to be your mom, but in this case she's manipulating you and holding you back. You're an adult and you have the right to spread your wings without being shot down with guilt.

Old 11-27-2017, 02:34 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,116,607 times
Your mother has an unhealthy need to control your life.

Move out and stop this immediately or you'll never have control of your own life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships