Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2017, 06:49 PM

6,313 posts, read 4,218,764 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trottel View Post
So, why exactly is my wife more within "rights" to say something as opposed to me? Both of our names were used without permission.

Yeah, maybe I have controlling tendencies - when it comes to MY NAME being used! I don't think its unreasonable to expect and demand complete control over that

I think you have a right to be peeved but I think to make it a battlefront when it was probably meant as a nice (even though wrong) gesture. What is the end goal here? You make a big deal about it you risk alienating your mil and hurting your wife . Is it really worth that? You can set healthy boundaries without making a huge fuss. You can say to your mil that it was really generous of her to put the ad in but next time you feel it's something you should pay for and do ,and say it with a smile.

Old 12-14-2017, 06:53 PM

14,559 posts, read 12,214,066 times
Quote:
So, why exactly is my wife more within "rights" to say something as opposed to me? Both of our names were used without permission.

Yeah, maybe I have controlling tendencies - when it comes to MY NAME being used! I don't think its unreasonable to expect and demand complete control over that
She made you look a kind, generous, supportive husband and son in law in front of her friends.

Do you REALLY want to prove her wrong on this?

Old 12-14-2017, 06:54 PM

469 posts, read 399,406 times
Yes, you noticed that most of the responders thought you were over-reacting, but instead of considering that they might be right, you take offense and get sarcastic.

You might want to consider, just consider, that you could be wrong or over-reacting. Is it a little odd? Yes, but so what? No harm was done, and she probably meant it in the nicest way.

I think you might want to figure out what it is inside of you that is taking this so hard. Are you jealous of her in other ways? Do you want your wife all to yourself? Are you possessive and mistrusting in general? Why are you assuming the worst motives from her? Why not assume she meant well?

Old 12-14-2017, 06:54 PM

49,927 posts, read 60,067,356 times
Quote:
I said YOU are within your rights to have your wife say something. Because that accomplishes two purposes:

1) It sets the boundary with your MIL. Your wife may just be used to this kind of thing from her mom and not realize that it's a problem.

2) It allows you and your wife to communicate and understand how you BOTH feel about this issue and come to some kind of compromise.

However, here you are, throwing a fit ...

Quote:
Guess what ... you are in a marriage now. You are part of a couple that is part of a family. So you can ****** and moan and stomp your feet about "Me! Me! Me!" all you want, but that's not gonna help anything.

You want to draw boundaries, not battle lines. Your goal should be to work toward bringing people together, not pushing them apart.

Of course, if you're the kind of person who can't even fathom wishing strangers merry Christmas, then there's not much hope of you doing all that.

Old 12-14-2017, 06:58 PM

1,299 posts, read 825,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
You want to draw boundaries, not battle lines.
That's a great way to put it!

Old 12-14-2017, 07:00 PM

1,478 posts, read 1,518,542 times
Quote:
I like how pretty much all the responses criticize ME, yet no one (except maybe 1 person) seems to think what SHE did is strange/abnormal.

Someone else (MIL) thinks they ought to SPEAK for YOU. Yeah sure, nothing to be concerned with there, just go along with whatever she wants. Just tape my mouth shut with duct tape and let her speak for me
If you wanted people to only take your side and tell you how right you were, you should have said so.

Old 12-14-2017, 07:01 PM

9,446 posts, read 6,596,635 times
[quote=Trottel;50403023]So, why exactly is my wife more within "rights" to say something as opposed to me? Both of our names were used without permission.

Yeah, maybe I have controlling tendencies - when it comes to MY NAME being used! I don't think its unreasonable to expect and demand complete contro

You are within your "rights" to speak to her about this if you really want to do it.

Old 12-14-2017, 07:21 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,780,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
I said YOU are within your rights to have your wife say something. Because that accomplishes two purposes:

1) It sets the boundary with your MIL. Your wife may just be used to this kind of thing from her mom and not realize that it's a problem.

2) It allows you and your wife to communicate and understand how you BOTH feel about this issue and come to some kind of compromise.

However, here you are, throwing a fit ...

Guess what ... you are in a marriage now. You are part of a couple that is part of a family. So you can ****** and moan and stomp your feet about "Me! Me! Me!" all you want, but that's not gonna help anything.

You want to draw boundaries, not battle lines. Your goal should be to work toward bringing people together, not pushing them apart.

Of course, if you're the kind of person who can't even fathom wishing strangers merry Christmas, then there's not much hope of you doing all that.
Exactly! Birdie, I need you to be my therapist, you have the best advice.

Old 12-14-2017, 07:21 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,993,934 times
Married a year huh? Good luck making it to five.

Assuming you aren't in the witness protection program, or worried about any outstanding warrants, yes, you are being petty.
Drop it.

Old 12-14-2017, 07:37 PM

153 posts, read 121,388 times
Your attitude about the event is lousy, however, I'm with you. Your MIL's actions definitely crosses boundaries and would tick me off as well.

Did your wife know about this ahead of time?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships