Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-15-2017, 10:06 AM

6,039 posts, read 6,063,596 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWings18 View Post
Once again, another poster misses the point. I agree, everyone agrees, the OP is not handling this well.

The point I have been continually making is that she actually did cross a line and he is not completely in the wrong for feeling weird about it.
More people have acknowledged this than you admit. Just not so vehemently.

Old 12-15-2017, 10:07 AM

1,659 posts, read 1,660,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elhelmete View Post

The OP is a grump and an a-hole.
Yup.

Old 12-15-2017, 10:11 AM

1,199 posts, read 731,914 times
Quote:
More people have acknowledged this than you admit. Just not so vehemently.
What do you mean "I admit?" I know people are acknowledging this in this thread. I am glad I am not the only one with this opinion. Not sure what you mean here.

Old 12-15-2017, 10:14 AM

14,550 posts, read 12,185,505 times
Quote:
Once again, another poster misses the point. I agree, everyone agrees, the OP is not handling this well.

The point I have been continually making is that she actually did cross a line and he is not completely in the wrong for feeling weird about it.

Right. So what does that change, really? "My MIL was wrong to wish people Merry Christmas in my name" and other victories that will cost far more to win than to lose.

There is no way to tell Mom ANY of this without hurting her feelings and doing more damage in the long run, than good.

I am just afraid that EVEN if we were to convince him to drop this, there is no way this OP will ever be able to hide his personality from this wife and MIL forever. Something will slip.

This will all end in tears.... no way around it.

Old 12-15-2017, 10:15 AM

6,311 posts, read 4,212,971 times
Quote:
These are quotes from the OP:

"The primary audience for this crap is old people, and maybe families with small kids. This stuff is popular with a certain crowd I suppose and I get that."

"But as far as I go personally... not at ALL into it. Would rather stay home and not attend, but of course I will be going to this concert just to spare myself from the fallout if I DARED had the audacity not to attend."

" I'm pretty sure she knows that I'm "not that into" this type of thing and would never, ever pay for an ad like this, I'm not the type to be spreading holiday cheer to strangers. "

It's not the ad. The OP is a grump and an a-hole.

I'd like to know how the OP KNOWS that is MIL KNOWS what he likes and doesn't like about holiday activities, did he ever tell her?

I feel like the OP wants to scapegoat the mil because he doesn't want to attend the concert and knows by not doing that his inlaws might be hurt or his wife will be hurt, so he found a reason to be angry (and I am not saying what the mil did was okay) and use it as evidence to justify his dislike of mil and activities that bore him.
Not seeing the makings of a happy marriage here to be honest.

Old 12-15-2017, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
Right. So what does that change, really? "My MIL was wrong to wish people Merry Christmas in my name" and other victories that will cost far more to win than to lose.

There is no way to tell Mom ANY of this without hurting her feelings and doing more damage in the long run, than good.

I am just afraid that EVEN if we were to convince him to drop this, there is no way this OP will ever be able to hide his personality from this wife and MIL forever. Something will slip.

This will all end in tears.
I disagree. If he handles it well, it really is an easy conversation, just asking her to please give them a call or text about it beforehand. Really not that big of a deal.

Old 12-15-2017, 10:19 AM

4,176 posts, read 2,580,966 times
Quote:
Sure you can, but your logic doesn't follow. Please, enlighten us. Explain why it is OK to buy ad space for someone and attribute the ad like they bought it, without asking them first.
Because the ad reflects kindly on the people that "bought" it, that's why. People read the ad, and think " My, what kind, and generous people they must be". Little do they know how emotionally stingy one of them is .

Old 12-15-2017, 10:20 AM

1,734 posts, read 1,205,270 times
Quote:
These are quotes from the OP:

"The primary audience for this crap is old people, and maybe families with small kids. This stuff is popular with a certain crowd I suppose and I get that."

"But as far as I go personally... not at ALL into it. Would rather stay home and not attend, but of course I will be going to this concert just to spare myself from the fallout if I DARED had the audacity not to attend."

" I'm pretty sure she knows that I'm "not that into" this type of thing and would never, ever pay for an ad like this, I'm not the type to be spreading holiday cheer to strangers. "

It's not the ad. The OP is a grump and an a-hole.
Not only that, but OP seems to have gone into marriage with the idea that the stereotypical terrible, horrible mother-in-law tropes are all true.

Hang in there, OP – it's only a matter of time. Keep polishing that attitude of yours and eventually you won't have this terrible horrible mother-in-law to deal with.

Or her daughter, for that matter.

Old 12-15-2017, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlulu23 View Post
Because the ad reflects kindly on the people that "bought" it, that's why. People read the ad, and think " My, what kind, and generous people they must be". Little do they know how emotionally stingy one of them is .
So what? He didn't want the ad.

Old 12-15-2017, 10:25 AM

24,652 posts, read 10,989,705 times
OP's nick pretty much says it all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships