Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2017, 03:42 PM

8,620 posts, read 5,657,996 times

Advertisements

I have lived in my neighborhood for 20+ years.

I have the worst neighbors - well, if not THE worst, not "neighborly" in the least.

I just purchased a mailbox for one of my neighbors, complete with special artistic treatment - I told them I was going to do this (we share a two-mailbox thing-y) - it turned out amazing - very beautiful. We had been emailing back and forth as it was being designed - she did not have five minutes to consult on the design - was "too busy" but acted like she loved what I was proposing.

Now it is done and installed - I spent hundreds of dollars on the project. Someone asked me how they like it - the husband said it was cool, but she has not said one word (no email "thanks"), nothing . . .

The rest of the neighbors are standoffish and unfriendly, as well (and it's not a big loss, as they seem like boring people, but if they had been friendly at all, I would have liked them but now that they have shown how unfriendly they are, I don't).

And no, I am not a bad neighbor - au contraire - I am a great neighbor - house and yard upkeep, check, have done many favors for these ingrates over the years - have given pies and cookies to some of them, have watched their homes, reported weird things I have seen to them (one water damage issue, one potential crime invitation, etc., etc.)

They are just not supportive neighbors - not like the ones featured on "Extreme Makeovers" back in the day when the entire neighborhood would come together to celebrate someone's house getting remodeled.

Old 12-16-2017, 04:15 PM

1,734 posts, read 1,204,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
They are just not supportive neighbors - not like the ones featured on "Extreme Makeovers" back in the day when the entire neighborhood would come together to celebrate someone's house getting remodeled.
Are you really comparing your neighbors to a TV "reality" show?

Old 12-16-2017, 04:17 PM

1,734 posts, read 1,204,069 times
And I predict we're about to get a flood of posts about really bad neighbors.

Old 12-16-2017, 04:57 PM

8,620 posts, read 5,657,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatzPaw View Post
Are you really comparing your neighbors to a TV "reality" show?
Yes!

Because on that show (whatever it was called), entire neighborhoods came together and cheered for the family that had been selected to have their home remodeled!

This thread isn't a complaint about one or two problematic neighbors (I have a couple of those) - but about an ENTIRE NEIGBORHOOD of unfriendly, unhelpful people . . . I just think that is not the norm . . .

I have read excerpts, over the years - of neighborhoods where people check up on old people, basically support each other and are friendly year-round . . . in my neighborhood, it's "every man for himself."

I am used to it, but it just came to my attention because I spent so much money on the mailboxes and didn't even get a simple "thank you."

Old 12-16-2017, 05:57 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,965,387 times
This is called hyperbole. OP, you don't have the worst neighbors in the world, much less the "WORST" ones. You have neighbors who don't attach much importance to mailboxes, an opinion I share. Would an acknowledgement of your beautification have been nice? Of course. But you should have been clued in by the neighbor's lack of interest in the design.

Old 12-16-2017, 06:10 PM

24,590 posts, read 10,896,457 times
You wanted the mail box. You share a mail box. A mail box is a recepticle for bills and junk mail. You have what you wanted and she has not asked you to take it down.

Old 12-16-2017, 06:37 PM

16,421 posts, read 12,522,693 times
Quote:
Because on that show (whatever it was called), entire neighborhoods came together and cheered for the family that had been selected to have their home remodeled!
No, people from all over the area heard that they had an opportunity to be seen on TV. Extreme Makeover did a house nearby a number of years back, and the local news covered the reveal event. Most of the people in the crowd had never met the homeowners and didn't live in the neighborhood.

You have an expectation that your neighbors are going to be great friends. In actuality, they aren't particularly interested. Trust me, they are far from "the worst."

Old 12-16-2017, 06:58 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,390,475 times
Quote:
And no, I am not a bad neighbor - au contraire - I am a great neighbor - house and yard upkeep, check, have done many favors for these ingrates over the years - have given pies and cookies to some of them, have watched their homes, reported weird things I have seen to them (one water damage issue, one potential crime invitation, etc., etc.) .
I'd stop doing nice things for them, since they don't show gratitude and don't reciprocate.

Old 12-16-2017, 07:07 PM

45,426 posts, read 60,623,477 times
I question the why of hundreds of dollars for a mailbox.

Old 12-16-2017, 07:23 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,390,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
I question the why of hundreds of dollars for a mailbox.
If I could do it, I would. Hate the mailbox I have now, just sitting on a spike. I'd like a brick mailbox.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships