Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-28-2017, 04:52 PM

20,548 posts, read 30,387,300 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTsnowbird View Post
I heard a thump next door where my elderly neighbor lives, so I listened for a minute and then heard "Help". Went next door and called 911 for him, and stayed with him until they got there. Just a fall but he needed help getting up. It's happened before and will probably happen again.

I'm glad you were there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2017, 07:20 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,126,249 times
A good reminder I should try to do more kind things for people. The only thing I can think of that I did this week was purchase a book for the Books for Prisoners program. There's a link here if anyone is so inclined. https://prisonbookprogram.org/donate...zon-wish-list/

Of course I bought Christmas gifts for family members, but I'm not sure that's noteworthy.

Old 12-28-2017, 10:16 PM

5,332 posts, read 8,540,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
A good reminder I should try to do more kind things for people. The only thing I can think of that I did this week was purchase a book for the Books for Prisoners program. There's a link here if anyone is so inclined. https://prisonbookprogram.org/donate...zon-wish-list/
I have never heard of this program before- thanks for posting! I like the idea of providing helpful books for people in prison.

Old 12-29-2017, 05:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post

Of course I bought Christmas gifts for family members, but I'm not sure that's noteworthy.
Thanks for the link. I am going to look into it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KittenSparkles View Post
I have never heard of this program before- thanks for posting! I like the idea of providing helpful books for people in prison.
Me too.

Old 12-29-2017, 02:28 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,557,244 times
I had a prison pen-pal. Solitary can make them go crazy. I sent lots of letters and found every free magazine subscription I could. Can't say I suggest it. It can be dangerous. I was lucky with mine. Totally not dangerous. Didn't try and get money from me. Happy as a lark with some company, and he wrote good letters to.

I just had a feeling when I saw the site - I picked on that came from my same area and was the same age and then the rest was just a gut feeling, which ended up being right. For three years he was spared the misery of being all alone.

Old 12-29-2017, 06:50 PM

1,556 posts, read 1,156,971 times
Quite often, I swim at the same time as a woman who is otherwise wheelchair bound. Her personal care helper works very hard to assist her in and out of the pool, etc. The parking lot is about a block from the building, up hill. I try to leave at the same time as these two ladies, so I can help them carry their stuff and/or push the wheelchair to the car.

Imagine the time this lady spends swimming - she is not wheelchair bound when she swims, she is free and mobile and she can move around when she swims, all by herself. It must be really special for her.

Old 12-29-2017, 07:27 PM

12,322 posts, read 17,129,512 times
Done: Provided a homeless man yesterday on the subway with some food I took home from my job, Along with a few bucks.

Done to me: Co worker dropped me off at the train station tonight, saving me a 20 minute walk in the freezing cold.

Old 12-30-2017, 06:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
I had a prison pen-pal. Solitary can make them go crazy. I sent lots of letters and found every free magazine subscription I could. Can't say I suggest it. It can be dangerous. I was lucky with mine. Totally not dangerous. Didn't try and get money from me. Happy as a lark with some company, and he wrote good letters to.

I just had a feeling when I saw the site - I picked on that came from my same area and was the same age and then the rest was just a gut feeling, which ended up being right. For three years he was spared the misery of being all alone.

That is great that it worked out well for you and him. There are too many people in prison who really don't belong there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilyMae521 View Post
Quite often, I swim at the same time as a woman who is otherwise wheelchair bound. Her personal care helper works very hard to assist her in and out of the pool, etc. The parking lot is about a block from the building, up hill. I try to leave at the same time as these two ladies, so I can help them carry their stuff and/or push the wheelchair to the car.

Imagine the time this lady spends swimming - she is not wheelchair bound when she swims, she is free and mobile and she can move around when she swims, all by herself. It must be really special for her.
It is such a hard life for people with physical handicaps. I'm glad she can get a reprieve by swimming. It must feel amazing to her.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Scott View Post
Done: Provided a homeless man yesterday on the subway with some food I took home from my job, Along with a few bucks.

Done to me: Co worker dropped me off at the train station tonight, saving me a 20 minute walk in the freezing cold.

Old 12-30-2017, 06:14 AM

9,500 posts, read 4,336,034 times
I stopped the local home improvement store yesterday to pick up a few small things. On the way in, I walked past a guy who was attempting to load 4X8 sheets of 3/4" plywood into his minivan. It was tight fit, but 4X8 a sheets of plywood will fit in a minivan flat on the floor with the rear hatch shut, but he was clearly struggling. I offered to lend a hand and 5 minutes later he was on his way. It's amazing how something this small can brighten your whole day.

Old 12-30-2017, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YourWakeUpCall View Post
I stopped the local home improvement store yesterday to pick up a few small things. On the way in, I walked past a guy who was attempting to load 4X8 sheets of 3/4" plywood into his minivan. It was tight fit, but 4X8 a sheets of plywood will fit in a minivan flat on the floor with the rear hatch shut, but he was clearly struggling. I offered to lend a hand and 5 minutes later he was on his way. It's amazing how something this small can brighten your whole day.

That was a huge help. 3/4" plywood is not something for one person. I'm sure you made his day
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships