Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2017, 09:13 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,035,972 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
The op said she has taken his money multiple times. That's not an accident.
I never said she took it by accident.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
It sounds like his mom has been taking money for a while. The OP even says "she takes money here and there, 20 bucks, 100, etc..." This doesn't sound to be a one time thing, it's an ongoing thing. The OP needs to aks his mom why she had the envelope, and start keeping his money somewhere more secure, like a bank account.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2017, 09:20 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,195,329 times
Quote:
I never said she took it by accident.
You are victim blaming. The op put The money in his room and knew where it was. It didn't get lost, it was taken. You are trying to solve a problem that doesn't exist. Now that he knows his mom is taking it, yes he should put it somewhere safe, but misplacing the money is not the problem. His mom being a thief is.

Old 12-27-2017, 10:10 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,035,972 times
Quote:
You are victim blaming. The op put The money in his room and knew where it was. It didn't get lost, it was taken. You are trying to solve a problem that doesn't exist. Now that he knows his mom is taking it, yes he should put it somewhere safe, but misplacing the money is not the problem. His mom being a thief is.
You keep wanting to claim I'm saying something I'm not. I never said the mom accidently took the money, or that the OP misplaced the money. I know what the problem is. I too have read the thread. Mom is taking the money, and has been for a while. If someone was taking my money, I wouldnt leave it sitting out. I would put it somewhere safe. Yes, I also listed reason why I like to put my money safe, even though I dont have to worry about theft in my house. Putting money away instead of having it sit out is just a good habit to get into.

No that is not "victim blaming", that is being proactive. There are plenty of things we all do each and every day to be proactive against theft. We lock or cars, keep our valubles somewhere safe, and don't leave large sums of money pr prescription drugs sitting around for some one to steal.

Old 12-28-2017, 02:49 AM

16 posts, read 22,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
Why would you leave a hundred bucks laying around? Not very smart.
Really? My own room and it’s nit like it’s 100 bucks it’s 100 bucks that was in an envelope on my desk. I can’t even feel safe in my own home

Old 12-28-2017, 02:51 AM

Quote:
Because it could easily get misplaced or accidently thrown away if just sitting someplace random in an envelope. My parents always give my SO and I cash for Christmas. No one in my house is going to steal it, but I put it in my bank account first chance I get. I don't want that much money sitting around my house. If it was just $5 or $10 I wouldnt be as concerned about it being misplaced. But $100? No, put it away someplace safe.
I just got the money on Christmas and then it was gone. I asked my sis about it since she got the same gift too

Old 12-28-2017, 02:55 AM

Quote:
Great for you that you've never misplaced something, had something fall behind a dresser, accidentally thrown something away, or had someone else throw away something you wanted to keep, but I doubt most people can say the same. Things get set on top... moved around... thrown away... things happen.

And maybe mom still cleans the OPs room, I don't know him. I don't expect others to know what is important and what's not, so I put my things away somewhere safe. I wouldn't consider a $100 sitting out on a dresser to be a safe place. There is a reason why people have bank accounts instead of just pilling their money up on a dresser.

I'm not calling the OP careless, just that things like money are better kept elsewhere then sitting around in an envelope. I don't see how being gone for only a few hours keeps accidents from happening.

Has the OP said if he asked his mom why she had the envelope? He got it right back as soon as he asked about the envelope. It's not like she hid it from him, or refused to give it back. For all we know, mom also felt like it wasn't a good idea to just have $100 sitting out on a dresser. If the OP is going to move out one day, he's probably going to end up living with roommates. It's better to learn now that you shouldn't leave money sitting out in your room, instead of having the money go missing after a roommate has a house party. Just because it's in the OP's room, doesn't automatically make it safe.
If I was living roommates I would bank it of course. This is my own mother we are talking about not some randoms.

Old 12-28-2017, 03:07 AM

Thanks for the responses this thread blew up fast. For anyone asking I’m 20. People will say move out of my parents house, I’ll move out when I graduate and have a stable career job. I chose school at home to save money since school so expensive plus my area is expensive even with roomies. Does not make any financial sense. If my house was unbearably toxic the money would be worth it. Right now it’s okay. I will just be more mindful about my mother with money now. As far as what I did with the 100 I took my parents out to dinner and in a way gave it back to them. I don’t want to bring it up because I don’t want to cause conflict , I will just be mindful.

The thought of my mom having some shady personality traits stresses me out. This is my mother after all the women who I look up to and care about. Plus I know how it will turn out, my mom would say I am looking too much into it or she will put the blame on me saying she cooks and cleans for me etc... my dad will just be quiet lol.

Old 12-28-2017, 10:45 AM

102,228 posts, read 108,040,687 times
Quote:
This. He left his money in his room a few hours after receiving it, while he went out briefly. He came back, and it was gone. It was not lost. It didn't fall behind his dresser, or get taken by a pet, or get covered up by other things. For all we know, he may have been planning to take it to an ATM machine later in the day or weekend. There is no need to say he was being careless. He wasn't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by howshouldifeel9813;
If I was living roommates I would bank it of course. This is my own mother we are talking about not some randoms.
Exactly.

Old 12-28-2017, 02:25 PM

23,338 posts, read 18,903,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by howshouldifeel9813 View Post
Thanks for the responses this thread blew up fast. For anyone asking I’m 20. People will say move out of my parents house, I’ll move out when I graduate and have a stable career job. I chose school at home to save money since school so expensive plus my area is expensive even with roomies. Does not make any financial sense. If my house was unbearably toxic the money would be worth it. Right now it’s okay. I will just be more mindful about my mother with money now. As far as what I did with the 100 I took my parents out to dinner and in a way gave it back to them. I don’t want to bring it up because I don’t want to cause conflict , I will just be mindful.

The thought of my mom having some shady personality traits stresses me out. This is my mother after all the women who I look up to and care about. Plus I know how it will turn out, my mom would say I am looking too much into it or she will put the blame on me saying she cooks and cleans for me etc... my dad will just be quiet lol.
You have every right to expect that your belongings are safe in your own room in your family home. You have every right to be upset at this betrayal of trust. Unfortunately, now you know that you have to take more precautions. Make sure your mother knows you missed the money. If she knows that YOU are now forewarned that might help. Maybe one of the results of this will be that you get ready to move out sooner rather than later. Nothing wrong with that, as it sounds as though you have given it a lot of thought and have a sense what's tolerable and what's not. Good luck!

Old 12-28-2017, 02:33 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,639,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ylisa7 View Post
No but one would hope you can trust the people you live with especially when it is in your room and it's your parents.
Nope. I wouldn't trust anyone with a hundred bucks just laying there out in the open. There's also a long history of things being taken. So why risk it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships