Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2018, 07:15 PM

1,093 posts, read 581,807 times

Advertisements

Earlier, I had dinner with some friends I've been trying to get together for weeks. (Everyone's been sick, so it's been tough to find a good night.) We all agreed via email three days earlier about the where and when. Unfortunately, one person had to cancel last minute, but four of us met and had a nice time, but one thing caught my attention and rubbed me the wrong way.

At one point, one guy (who was there with his girlfriend) mentioned the absent friend who had texted everyone her regrets earlier. He claimed, very casually, that until that moment, "we totally forgot about this." Apparently, if not for that text they'd have gone to the girlfriend's house to eat with a house guest.

What the heck? How do you make plans for three days later and totally forget about it? And why on earth would you casually admit this to your friends? I'd be ashamed of myself.

I know some will suggest that these people "aren't really my friends," but we always have an enjoyable time when we meet and they always seem interested in my life and very grateful for my invites, so I don't think that's it. I just don't get people sometimes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2018, 07:26 PM

6,617 posts, read 6,548,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michael917 View Post
Earlier, I had dinner with some friends I've been trying to get together for weeks. (Everyone's been sick, so it's been tough to find a good night.) We all agreed via email three days earlier about the where and when. Unfortunately, one person had to cancel last minute, but four of us met and had a nice time, but one thing caught my attention and rubbed me the wrong way.

At one point, one guy (who was there with his girlfriend) mentioned the absent friend who had texted everyone her regrets earlier. He claimed, very casually, that until that moment, "we totally forgot about this." Apparently, if not for that text they'd have gone to the girlfriend's house to eat with a house guest.

What the heck? How do you make plans for three days later and totally forget about it? And why on earth would you casually admit this to your friends? I'd be ashamed of myself.

I know some will suggest that these people "aren't really my friends," but we always have an enjoyable time when we meet and they always seem interested in my life and very grateful for my invites, so I don't think that's it. I just don't get people sometimes.
It's human nature to forget things sometimes. I wouldn't have given his honesty another thought. He simply forgot about meeting with the group for supper.

It's happened with our group of 4 women friends who we've known since childhood. We meet for supper every couple or few months.

One night, three of us were sitting in a restaurant we'd all agreed upon a few days earlier, waiting for the fourth who was 20 minutes late. One of us called her and the foUrth had already eaten and was sprawled on her couch, with our dinner plans totally forgotten. She shrieked, jumped up, threw on her coat and met us for coffee. No biggie. She'd just forgotten. No one found a need to need to get angry or blame her for forgetting. It could have been any one of us.

Old 02-25-2018, 07:56 PM

1,734 posts, read 1,204,069 times
Quote:

Good heavenly days. They showed up, didn't they? You had a good time, didn't you?

The last thing I would say to you is "these people aren't really your friends."

I might say fixing your focus on this is a bit ... oh, I don't know ... [scrapping several choice words]. Look, life is busy. If this hill of beans is as bad as it gets for you, your life must be going pretty well. So, go figure out how to achieve world peace or something.

Old 02-25-2018, 07:59 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,266,619 times
If I don't write something down I will forget about it within a few minutes.
Not everyone focuses their lives around others.
It appears to be a casual gathering not a mandatory outing.

Old 02-25-2018, 08:07 PM

9,446 posts, read 6,583,267 times
I have to write everything on my calendar.

Old 02-25-2018, 08:08 PM

48,534 posts, read 34,882,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
If I don't write something down I will forget about it within a few minutes.
Not everyone focuses their lives around others.
It appears to be a casual gathering not a mandatory outing.

Gosh me too. Everything goes into my phone, but if I don't set an alarm and remember to LOOK at my calendar.

It's happened.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 02-25-2018, 08:17 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,266,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Gosh me too. Everything goes into my phone, but if I don't set an alarm and remember to LOOK at my calendar.

It's happened.
For me it got worse after I had the stroke, but 2.5 years later it is getting better again.

Old 02-25-2018, 08:19 PM

48,534 posts, read 34,882,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
For me it got worse after I had the stroke, but 2.5 years later it is getting better again.

Well, I don't envy how you got a good excuse, but you do have one.

I don't.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 02-25-2018, 10:59 PM

6,191 posts, read 7,361,153 times
Quote:

Wow. You've never forgotten anything? That's impressive.

I was talking to my friend about her birthday plans last week and then completely forgot to wish her a happy birthday when it finally was her birthday. I told her I was a dunce and apologized, since I had a lot of things going on in the past two weeks. She understood and didn't question my friendship with her since I have known her for years.

Old 02-26-2018, 05:07 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,228,517 times
Quote:

Seems like a unreasonable thing for a person to focus on and be angered about. They showed up....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships