Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2018, 09:08 PM

16 posts, read 14,156 times

Advertisements

I have major issues with the Catholic Church and I won’t step foot in one. My friend is mad at me because I told her I cannot come to the ceremony. I told her I would like to attend the reception. Now she doesn’t want to come at all. Which is fine. It’s her day.

Is it necessary to go to the ceremony?

Old 02-23-2018, 09:18 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,955,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoseFlowers View Post
I have major issues with the Catholic Church and I won’t step foot in one. My friend is mad at me because I told her I cannot come to the ceremony. I told her I would like to attend the reception. Now she doesn’t want to come at all. Which is fine. It’s her day.

It's not necessary to go to the ceremony, and some people invite certain people only to the reception.

However, all rules go out the window when you **** off the bride.

Old 02-23-2018, 09:43 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,642,029 times
Quote:

So you can show up for the free food and drink but can't watch your friend get married?

It's not about YOU.

Lot's of people have issues with religion and churches, but those who aren't self absorbed put them aside for their friend or family.

If her mother died would you have said "sorry can't make your mom's funeral and be there for you, I have issues with the Catholic church"....sigh.

She already told you to stay away. I don't think you will have to worry about this friend anymore anyway.

Old 02-23-2018, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
It's not necessary to go to the ceremony, and some people invite certain people only to the reception.

However, all rules go out the window when you **** off the bride.
It's very tacky to not go to the ceremony if you were invited.

It's basically saying I don't care about seeing you get married, one of the most important events in your life, I'm only interested in the free food and booze.

Old 02-23-2018, 09:57 PM

My brother was molested by a priest and then the church try to pay off my parents to keep quiet. That’s what this is about. And I’m not going to go.

Old 02-23-2018, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
So you can show up for the free food and drink but can't watch your friend get married?

It's not about YOU.

Lot's of people have issues with religion and churches, but those who aren't self absorbed put them aside for their friend or family.

If her mother died would you have said "sorry can't make your mom's funeral and be there for you, I have issues with the Catholic church"....sigh.

She already told you to stay away. I don't think you will have to worry about this friend anymore anyway.
It’s not a good friend - More of an acquaintance so it’s not really that big of a deal. And yes I would say that because I do not go to Catholic churches

Old 02-23-2018, 10:16 PM

13,284 posts, read 8,458,170 times
Quote:
My brother was molested by a priest and then the church try to pay off my parents to keep quiet. That’s what this is about. And I’m not going to go.
hmmm....so you suffer from black and white thinking.....All catholic churchs are "bad", ALL priest are "bad".
Maybe you are standing up for a principle , while standing in quicksand.

Consider this an opportunity to mature in thought and recognize this flawed reasoning.

Old 02-23-2018, 10:38 PM

Quote:
It’s not a good friend - More of an acquaintance so it’s not really that big of a deal. And yes I would say that because I do not go to Catholic churches
Well than when you got invite you RSVP "NO". That is too bad about your brother, but if got mugged by a black person would you dislike all black people?

At least send a card with a gift card, and next time you just opt out. You don't ask if you can skip the ceremony but attend the party.

We can see it's not a good friend, because "good friends" know that sometimes you have to put yourself on the back burner for others, because everything isn't about you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post
hmmm....so you suffer from black and white thinking.....All catholic churchs are "bad", ALL priest are "bad".
Maybe you are standing up for a principle , while standing in quicksand.

Consider this an opportunity to mature in thought and recognize this flawed reasoning.
Very well said.

Old 02-23-2018, 10:41 PM

2,449 posts, read 2,603,221 times
Too late to attend the wedding now, but thanks for the post!

Old 02-23-2018, 10:54 PM

1,879 posts, read 1,555,364 times
If you don’t want to go to the ceremony because of your negative experiences with the Catholic Church, then don’t go. It would be tacky to go to the reception but not the ceremony. Get them a nice gift if you do that.
If it’s an acquaintance then why are they that upset that you don’t want to go?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships