Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2018, 07:36 AM

7,992 posts, read 5,389,281 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Gosh me too. Everything goes into my phone, but if I don't set an alarm and remember to LOOK at my calendar.

It's happened.
^ Same with me.

We are creatures of habit. I have a routine everyday. Like being on auto-pilot. I have to set an alarm. If I have a dentist appointment after work, I have to put a note on my car seat.

OP, give your friend a break. It wasn't meant as an insult that the dinner wasn't important. Just life is often a routine, put something new in there and "oops" you forget about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2018, 07:39 AM

560 posts, read 540,266 times
I think it would have happened to me, especially if the date for dinner was changed so often due to cancellations. This is why I write everything down in my ical, cuz if its not there I check every morning then ill forget its on or happening that day.

not a big deal in the big picture of life!

Old 02-26-2018, 07:42 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,539,449 times
File this under no big deal.

Old 02-26-2018, 07:44 AM

14,489 posts, read 12,121,454 times
People are generally happier when they're not LOOKING for reasons to be offended.

Old 02-26-2018, 09:04 AM

1,092 posts, read 580,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city living View Post
Wow. You've never forgotten anything? That's impressive.
Sure I forget things, but not dates with other people. Maybe it's because my social calendar tends to be on the light side that I easily remember when I'm going out more so than people with very busy lives.

Anyhow, I wouldn't say I was offended by it, more like mildly annoyed. These get-togethers are very important to me, and I look forward to them from the minute they're scheduled. I get that people are busy, but between the two of them I'd think one would have made a note on their calendar. Instead, they actively made other plans for the exact same time.

I didn't say one word about it to them, because it was indeed more important to me that they showed up and we had a nice time.

Old 02-26-2018, 09:37 AM

102,212 posts, read 107,931,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gouligann View Post
It's human nature to forget things sometimes. I wouldn't have given his honesty another thought. He simply forgot about meeting with the group for supper.

It's happened with our group of 4 women friends who we've known since childhood. We meet for supper every couple or few months.

One night, three of us were sitting in a restaurant we'd all agreed upon a few days earlier, waiting for the fourth who was 20 minutes late. One of us called her and the foUrth had already eaten and was sprawled on her couch, with our dinner plans totally forgotten. She shrieked, jumped up, threw on her coat and met us for coffee. No biggie. She'd just forgotten. No one found a need to need to get angry or blame her for forgetting. It could have been any one of us.
I don't understand this. Don't people have calendars that they use to note down engagements, doc appointments, and other events? Or maybe they only keep their calendars online, so there's not a steady visual presence within their field of vision or on a desk? Or they don't check their online calendar daily?

WTH?!

Old 02-26-2018, 10:41 AM

13,262 posts, read 8,029,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michael917 View Post
Earlier, I had dinner with some friends I've been trying to get together for weeks. (Everyone's been sick, so it's been tough to find a good night.) We all agreed via email three days earlier about the where and when. Unfortunately, one person had to cancel last minute, but four of us met and had a nice time, but one thing caught my attention and rubbed me the wrong way.

At one point, one guy (who was there with his girlfriend) mentioned the absent friend who had texted everyone her regrets earlier. He claimed, very casually, that until that moment, "we totally forgot about this." Apparently, if not for that text they'd have gone to the girlfriend's house to eat with a house guest.

What the heck? How do you make plans for three days later and totally forget about it? And why on earth would you casually admit this to your friends? I'd be ashamed of myself.

I know some will suggest that these people "aren't really my friends," but we always have an enjoyable time when we meet and they always seem interested in my life and very grateful for my invites, so I don't think that's it. I just don't get people sometimes.

I have a couple of friends like this...I don't get fluffed about it (any more) when or if they back out. I have figured out, over time, that they are like herding kittens. And when and if I AM able to wrangle them into something...it's often more work than it's worth. LOL

Old 02-26-2018, 10:41 AM

4,189 posts, read 3,402,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gouligann View Post
It's human nature to forget things sometimes. I wouldn't have given his honesty another thought. He simply forgot about meeting with the group for supper.

It's happened with our group of 4 women friends who we've known since childhood. We meet for supper every couple or few months.

One night, three of us were sitting in a restaurant we'd all agreed upon a few days earlier, waiting for the fourth who was 20 minutes late. One of us called her and the foUrth had already eaten and was sprawled on her couch, with our dinner plans totally forgotten. She shrieked, jumped up, threw on her coat and met us for coffee. No biggie. She'd just forgotten. No one found a need to need to get angry or blame her for forgetting. It could have been any one of us.
There is such a thing as a calendar and electronic reminder.

Old 02-26-2018, 10:57 AM

16,551 posts, read 19,703,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michael917 View Post
Anyhow, I wouldn't say I was offended by it, more like mildly annoyed.
Ridiculous. What kind of TRUE friend gets annoyed by something so absolutely trivial as this?
You wish they would have said nothing at all. Hmmm. Your TRUE friend felt comfortable enough around you to admit the TRUTH... and you're annoyed.

Get over it.

Old 02-26-2018, 11:11 AM

14,375 posts, read 18,377,781 times
Why go looking for things to get pissy about? Didn't affect you one way or the other.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships