Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2018, 05:03 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,568,403 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
"I know, right?" UGH!! That doesn't even mean anything!!
I love 'I know, right?' lol.

Betty is being such a b

I know, right?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2018, 05:31 PM

9,639 posts, read 6,019,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsRick24 View Post
I'm sure at least one other person knows such an individual.
An acquaintance with whom I have talked, I'll say something, he'll say something in response, ending with "You understand?" Example: I went online, you understand? And I was checking something for sale...they wanted X amount, you understand? And I wanted to bargain the price, you understand? Hoping he'll take what I'm offering, you understand?....

Now what'll happen if I don't understand? Will I get horse-whipped?
Girlfriend says something similar when she's mad at me...

I tell her if she keeps it up she'll find herself single. In that situation I find it rather offensive. In your situation I'm thinking it's just a quirk of someone lacking confidence, but I don't know the individual.

I don't ask if people understand, I expect them to. The quickest way to get me irritated is to make me repeat myself. Girlfriend likes to do that sometimes...

Old 04-06-2018, 10:27 PM

510 posts, read 370,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsRick24 View Post
I'm sure at least one other person knows such an individual.
An acquaintance with whom I have talked, I'll say something, he'll say something in response, ending with "You understand?" Example: I went online, you understand? And I was checking something for sale...they wanted X amount, you understand? And I wanted to bargain the price, you understand? Hoping he'll take what I'm offering, you understand?....

Now what'll happen if I don't understand? Will I get horse-whipped?

I wonder if "you understand"? means are you still listening and can you follow the story? Or maybe they just want a yes or no and otherwise don't want you to say anything? If you claimed you didn't understand, what might they do? Retell the story, perhaps in greater detail, or just give up?

Old 04-06-2018, 11:31 PM

272 posts, read 218,045 times
Perhaps it is mainly due to women typically talking more but I feel that women are the worst offenders when it comes to this kind of stuff, especially when there's a group of them. Saying "Like" three or four times a sentence. To say nothing about when they they tell each other some news and they start screaming and getting really high-pitched over it.

Old 04-07-2018, 06:29 AM

88,588 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
Why don't you ask this person point-blank why he ends every sentence that way?

I'd be interested in his response. Maybe at some level he doesn't even know he's doing it.
That's probably the case. Years ago, I was visiting a friend in Maryland, and one of her friends said he observed that people from New Jersey often end their sentences in "Right", either as a question or a statement. I thought about it for a second and automatically responding. "Right".

Old 04-07-2018, 06:30 AM

88,588 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YuMart View Post
Perhaps it is mainly due to women typically talking more but I feel that women are the worst offenders when it comes to this kind of stuff, especially when there's a group of them. Saying "Like" three or four times a sentence. To say nothing about when they they tell each other some news and they start screaming and getting really high-pitched over it.
I think those are younger women, maybe in their 20s or even 30s. Tossing "like" in everywhere wasn't a thing when the rest of us were growing up.

Old 04-07-2018, 06:45 AM

12,847 posts, read 9,055,079 times
I think it starts from two concepts. The first is they want confirmation that you are actually listening to what they are saying and have paid attention so they don't have to explain things twice. I've had many conversations with people and when I pause for their turn, they just stare blankly like they don't know that conversation and understanding requires two to participate. Or I get to the end and they say "what, did you say something?"

The second reason is, like someone mentioned, they want to get you agreeing along with them point by point so they can spring the big reveal at the end. A manipulative sales technique that some are very good at.

Old 04-07-2018, 08:20 AM

1,863 posts, read 1,654,219 times
I find it annoying when people start their sentences with: "So". (I've even seen comments/posts written that way!) These are usually the same people who also "upspeak"; every sentence sounds like a question.

-"So, I went to the farmers' market? And they were out of free-range kale?"

-"So, I wanted to buy this artisanal beanie? But the Alpaca-wool was not free-trade? And I had already made plans to be in the drum-circle?

Old 04-07-2018, 09:46 AM

8,166 posts, read 8,528,805 times
Athletes and especially basketball players all seem to suffer from a lack of confidence, or perhaps think reporters interviewing them are slow witted, so at the end of every sentence, instead of a period, they interject, "yuknow?"
"Or both may be true"

Old 04-07-2018, 09:56 AM

27,073 posts, read 11,859,243 times
Is "you feel me"?

still a thing??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships