Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2018, 04:12 PM

11,395 posts, read 24,452,731 times

Advertisements

I’m feeling sort of blue despite the fact I’m the one who told her I was tired of the ongoing drama.

She was having an affair with a mutual friend because her marriage is dead. Our friend told her he didn’t love her and never would, even after a six month thing between them. She was jealous of all of his female friends and many of his male friends. I was tired of walking on eggshells and of hearing about the latest iteration of who snapped at whom. She called me crying that he’d broken her heart. I told her to stop going to his house everyday. She’d rented a room to use as a studio. She started going there more often to guard her territory. Our other friends gave her similar advice. Her lover told her the same, yet she persists. He needs the rent money. They would invite me over regularly for tea then she’d complain we were not including her in our conversations because she’s obtusely quiet.

It’s a sick situation and I was starting to dread her texts and calls. I’d stopped going over there. She kept inviting me out for lunch when I was working. She told me she missed me.

Finally I had to tell her I was tired of the drama.

It’ll be alright, won’t it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2018, 05:07 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,954,920 times
It will. Promise.

Old 04-05-2018, 05:17 PM

15,252 posts, read 12,964,014 times
Give it time. Maybe if she doesn't have someone there patting her hand and saying, "There, there" she'll wake up to the reality of the changes she needs to make.

To me that would be worth losing the friendship.

Old 04-05-2018, 07:41 PM

188 posts, read 203,010 times
I was best friends with someone for a few years. At some point, they started behaving in ways that made me uncomfortable (the kind of things that would normally make me think someone was a bad person, but since they were my friend I gave them leeway and tried to accept it as a "nobody's perfect" thing). Then I found out they'd done something to totally betray my trust that was unforgivable and I ended the friendship.

It really hurt to end the friendship (even though it was their fault) in the first few days, and I still felt sad about it for a week or two after, but then I started feeling better and was glad I didn't have to deal with them anymore.

If you got to the point where you were "walking on eggshells" around your friend and dreading your friend's texts and calls, then ending the friendship was the right thing to do. It's normal to feel sad about ending a relationship that was important to you, but it's only temporary. I guarantee that you'll start feeling better about it in a few days or weeks.

Old 04-05-2018, 08:24 PM

11,395 posts, read 24,452,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueFebruary View Post
I was best friends with someone for a few years. At some point, they started behaving in ways that made me uncomfortable (the kind of things that would normally make me think someone was a bad person, but since they were my friend I gave them leeway and tried to accept it as a "nobody's perfect" thing). Then I found out they'd done something to totally betray my trust that was unforgivable and I ended the friendship.

It really hurt to end the friendship (even though it was their fault) in the first few days, and I still felt sad about it for a week or two after, but then I started feeling better and was glad I didn't have to deal with them anymore.

If you got to the point where you were "walking on eggshells" around your friend and dreading your friend's texts and calls, then ending the friendship was the right thing to do. It's normal to feel sad about ending a relationship that was important to you, but it's only temporary. I guarantee that you'll start feeling better about it in a few days or weeks.
Thanks. I was really hoping she’d behave a little more sensibly but she seems bound and determined to stick with a bad course. It’s almost like she’s delusional.

Hopefully, I’ll think of her less in a few weeks. I’d been actively avoiding her and now that I’ve openly removed myself from the situation, I feel worse rather than better.

Old 04-06-2018, 05:20 AM

51,653 posts, read 25,819,464 times
Good grief what a mess. You're smart to get out of it.

She's renting a room from a lover who doesn't love her, cheating on her husband, ...

You will likely miss the drama for a time, but this woman needs more than friendship can provide.

Old 04-10-2018, 01:08 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,217,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
Give it time. Maybe if she doesn't have someone there patting her hand and saying, "There, there" she'll wake up to the reality of the changes she needs to make.

To me that would be worth losing the friendship.
I agree. Having had you to use as a constant sounding board.....and inviting you over as a buffer.... having you run interference....has kept her, actually both of them from facing the truth.

So, you may not realize it, but you are doing her a favor in the long run.

Live your life. One day she'll get in touch with you again.

Old 04-10-2018, 01:15 PM

13,262 posts, read 8,027,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellie View Post
I’m feeling sort of blue despite the fact I’m the one who told her I was tired of the ongoing drama.

She was having an affair with a mutual friend because her marriage is dead. Our friend told her he didn’t love her and never would, even after a six month thing between them. She was jealous of all of his female friends and many of his male friends. I was tired of walking on eggshells and of hearing about the latest iteration of who snapped at whom. She called me crying that he’d broken her heart. I told her to stop going to his house everyday. She’d rented a room to use as a studio. She started going there more often to guard her territory. Our other friends gave her similar advice. Her lover told her the same, yet she persists. He needs the rent money. They would invite me over regularly for tea then she’d complain we were not including her in our conversations because she’s obtusely quiet.

It’s a sick situation and I was starting to dread her texts and calls. I’d stopped going over there. She kept inviting me out for lunch when I was working. She told me she missed me.

Just to be out of that drama would be such a relief to me. I think if it were me, I would've resented being pulled in to it in the first place.

Old 04-10-2018, 02:51 PM

2,495 posts, read 1,872,148 times
I'm tired of the Drama Lama's...... I'm getting too old for that stuff.

Have a problem, need my help? I'm there for you. Have a problem EVERY WEEK, need my help? I'll try, but...... Have the same problem over and over again and need my help over and over again? Now it becomes MY problem and Mamma doesn't need any more problems. I can only pick up so many pieces.

Old 04-11-2018, 06:19 PM

271 posts, read 257,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellie View Post

That's such a shame but friendships should not be draining and you shouldn't have to walk on eggshells with friends. I'm all for weeding out the bad people in life, the drama queens, the angry at the world people with all the negative energy. People should be positive and bring positive energy in your life. My theory is if you're not lifting me up, then you're just bringing me down!!

Give it time. It will be alright.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships