Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2018, 02:04 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,901,366 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spuggy View Post
... what you are doing is undermining your sister and her husband and you jhave put yourself right in the middle.
... except the sister and husband aren't doing ANYTHING except being pissed.

They won't help their daughter raise the baby, they won't help pay to terminate, and they're just sitting there throwing a fit.

The young woman is barely out of her teens, has some kind of learning disability, and needs support. If her aunt can provide it, she should.

Old 04-10-2018, 02:08 PM

80 posts, read 112,262 times
I am not overstepping my sister's authority, she is well aware I have offered to pay for the abortion and doesn't care, she wants my niece have an abortion; she just doesn't want to pay for it. The only issue has been bf's family, I did not tell them I offered to pay until my niece told her bf, I tried to keep it secret to stay out of the situation.

Old 04-10-2018, 02:10 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,720,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaMesa View Post
I am not overstepping my sister's authority, she is well aware I have offered to pay for the abortion and doesn't care, she wants my niece have an abortion; she just doesn't want to pay for it. The only issue has been bf's family, I did not tell them I offered to pay until my niece told her bf, I tried to keep it secret to stay out of the situation.
Ignore the boyfriends family, their wishes are irrelevant.

As your niece is an adult, if you want to help her out in paying for anything it would be between you and her but since your sister has no opinion of you paying for the abortion it is a non issue anyway.

Does your niece already have an appointment at a clinic?

Old 04-10-2018, 02:12 PM

6,294 posts, read 4,191,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
... except the sister and husband aren't doing ANYTHING except being pissed.

They won't help their daughter raise the baby, they won't help pay to terminate, and they're just sitting there throwing a fit.

The young woman is barely out of her teens, has some kind of learning disability, and needs support. If her aunt can provide it, she should.

There is enabling , there is interfering and there is helping and this niece needs serious counseling and professional support. If the aunt doesn’t want to be in the middle then I suggest she drive the niece and pay for professional help. Call a local crisis hotline and get referrals etc.

Inam not saying the aunt can’t help, just the how.

Old 04-10-2018, 02:15 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,901,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spuggy View Post
... this niece needs serious counseling and professional support.
That's all well and good until you're counting weeks until a baby gets here.

Old 04-10-2018, 02:16 PM

7,235 posts, read 7,034,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaMesa View Post
Why are they "an issue" at all? Your niece requires neither their consent nor their blessing to make medical decisions about her body.

Old 04-10-2018, 02:17 PM

80 posts, read 112,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vectoris View Post
I feel very sorry for the boyfriend not having a say in this matter. If he and his parents want to help raise the child, I don't see what the problem is. Why is your sister so against the boyfriend's wishes?
My niece actually wants to convince her bf that it is best that she gets an abortion. She doesn't want to go behind his back and get one. My sister is convinced that if my niece goes through with the pregnancy, she and her husband will end up raising the baby.

Old 04-10-2018, 02:19 PM

8,590 posts, read 12,334,693 times
Those of you berating the OP for her involvement need to look at the entire picture again. The niece views her aunt as a confidante and seeks her out for advice. The sister is aware of this. The sister has doesn't have a problem with the aunt helping her daughter. It also sounds like the OP has been playing this role for a long time, not just in this situation. She's not butting into the situation uninvited.

Some families are like that. I would hope that my nieces would feel free to come to me with a problem should their own parents not be able to help them, and I have actually intervened on a couple of occasions when it came to a problem between my own sisters and their daughters. My sisters certainly didn't care. It does sometimes "take a village" to raise and parent a child.

Certainly what the OP has done is no worse than a stranger (the BFs parents) telling her how she should spend her money or how she should think.

Old 04-10-2018, 02:20 PM

3,670 posts, read 7,160,987 times
I'm shocked these people are being so open about their situation. If I were thinking about having an abortion I wouldn't be telling my family members I'm pregnant!

Old 04-10-2018, 02:21 PM

1,314 posts, read 1,423,875 times
You are so far removed from this situation you don't even really have a reason to be thinking about it. butt out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships