Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2018, 08:51 PM

35,002 posts, read 16,964,237 times

Advertisements

I have had a friend since 1978 who works in Washington. He is about 60, and he has a mother and older sister who don't drive. They live in the New York area, as do I. My friend's sister and mother were traveling to Washington last weekend and left their luggage and New Rochelle's Amtrak station. Tonight my friend's sister received a call to the effect that the luggage was at the security office at the station in New Rochelle, about a 30 minute drive.

He asked me "certainly no emergency, can you pick the luggage up in New Rochelle. I told my friend to call the office in New Rochelle and fax or email them permission for me to pick up the luggage. He said his sister hadn't gotten the number, and would I pick up her sister and drive her to New Rochelle, and back home. I said "I just don't have four hours to spare" this weekend.

Is he asking too much?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2018, 08:54 PM

2,189 posts, read 2,604,433 times
He or his sister should make the effort to contact the office to let them know you're picking the suitcases up. If they don't go to that effort why should you go to the effort of picking up the sister and wasting a half day?

Old 05-11-2018, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fumbling View Post
He or his sister should make the effort to contact the office to let them know you're picking the suitcases up. If they don't go to that effort why should you go to the effort of picking up the sister and wasting a half day?
That's currently my thinking.

Old 05-11-2018, 09:31 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,901,366 times
Apparently it's too much for you. He's asking a lot, but it wouldn't be too much for some people.

He's in a bind and asking someone who lives closer to the station to do him a huge favor and help him out.

This is a "pay it forward" kind of situation, and you may find yourself in a bind one day.

Old 05-11-2018, 09:38 PM

2,189 posts, read 2,604,433 times
Well why can't the friend or sister do a small favor and just take 30 minutes to call the place so the OP can just drive straight there and back, instead of imposing on someone's time for a half day to drive here and then there and back to here and so on when it's all said and done?

Old 05-11-2018, 10:49 PM

32,634 posts, read 47,975,309 times
It's at the amtrak station. So why can't one of them take a train and pick up the luggage?

Old 05-12-2018, 04:25 AM

10,501 posts, read 7,028,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
I have had a friend since 1978 who works in Washington. He is about 60, and he has a mother and older sister who don't drive. They live in the New York area, as do I. My friend's sister and mother were traveling to Washington last weekend and left their luggage and New Rochelle's Amtrak station. Tonight my friend's sister received a call to the effect that the luggage was at the security office at the station in New Rochelle, about a 30 minute drive.

He asked me "certainly no emergency, can you pick the luggage up in New Rochelle. I told my friend to call the office in New Rochelle and fax or email them permission for me to pick up the luggage. He said his sister hadn't gotten the number, and would I pick up her sister and drive her to New Rochelle, and back home. I said "I just don't have four hours to spare" this weekend.

Is he asking too much?
If I had a friend for forty years, I would just do it. This seems a bit petty of you.

Old 05-12-2018, 04:45 AM

6,446 posts, read 9,803,501 times
I'd help my friend, but thats me.

Old 05-12-2018, 05:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
It's at the amtrak station. So why can't one of them take a train and pick up the luggage?
That's not so easy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinivanDriver View Post
If I had a friend for forty years, I would just do it. This seems a bit petty of you.
My beef is that he and his sister aren't willing to invest the energy to look at her cell phone to get the number for the place. I would pick it up and drive it to their place; no problem. I just won't spend four hours on a fools errand.

Old 05-12-2018, 05:16 AM

1,058 posts, read 675,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
That's not so easy. My beef is that he and his sister aren't willing to invest the energy to look at her cell phone to get the number for the place. I would pick it up and drive it to their place; no problem. I just won't spend four hours on a fools errand.
Agreed. Do the favor, but they need to make the call so you can just pick it up and you can deliver it at your convenience, since it is not an emergency for them to have it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships