Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2018, 11:37 AM

1,886 posts, read 1,841,858 times

Advertisements

I have a friend whom I have known since 1980. He is my age, 56, and still lives at home with his parents. He is intelligent, good looking and has a good job. He constantly states he can't find a good woman. I think to myself "Who the hell wants to date someone who is your age and still living at home in your child-hood bedroom??" Seriously?
He also states he hates the weather in this state (WI) and wants to live somewhere warm. Back about 10 years ago I got sick of him complaining so I said "Why the heck don't you just move??" He said "Well, the jobs don't pay well in Florida where I want to be". Now his excuse is his parents are "getting on in age and he is afraid they will die if he leaves".
His FB status is constantly (when it isn't summer around here) "XX days till summer and warm weather". Constantly. It's like a broken record. LOL
He has no kids, no big bills, etc etc.
Anybody else know someone like this? LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2018, 11:39 AM

61,756 posts, read 87,217,162 times
Well... It's his life. He can live it the way he wants...
In some other cultures it's perfectly alright to live with parents. Even after getting married and having own kids...

Old 04-19-2018, 11:42 AM

27,073 posts, read 11,874,855 times
No...but I agree with you. He sounds cemented in his family home no matter how good his options are...

might he be in the closet gay? Just a question...

Or maybe he's content for whatever reason. It's his life...

Old 04-19-2018, 11:46 AM

Yes, it's his life. I totally agree. I just get frustrated with him saying he wants to move and get his own place and that he can't find a decent lady yet he keeps coming up with excuses. I don't say anything negative to him though.
I have wondered if he is gay. I would never ask him that. Wouldn't matter to me one way or the other
It's just very hard to offer him advice when he rejects every bit of advice you give him. LOL

Old 04-19-2018, 11:51 AM

Why are you frustrated, or care so much? Or want to know his sexual preferences?
Perhaps he complaints, but don't want any advice how to live his life. Actually " he rejects every bit of advice you give him." So, just don't.

Old 04-19-2018, 11:54 AM

27,073 posts, read 11,874,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CindyRoos View Post
Yes, it's his life. I totally agree. I just get frustrated with him saying he wants to move and get his own place and that he can't find a decent lady yet he keeps coming up with excuses. I don't say anything negative to him though.
I have wondered if he is gay. I would never ask him that. Wouldn't matter to me one way or the other
It's just very hard to offer him advice when he rejects every bit of advice you give him. LOL

I know, you can't help but wonder about his life when it's a friend who complains then does nothing...

Old 04-19-2018, 11:55 AM

Some people just complain, habitually, but don't want to change anything...
He seems to be unhappy mostly with the weather, but that's obviously not enough to make him move.
Wondering/insinuating that he is a gay is totally inappropriate for a friend. Obviously you're not that close of a friend, if you don't know.

Old 04-19-2018, 11:57 AM

29,750 posts, read 34,415,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
I know, you can't help but wonder about his life when it's a friend who complains then does nothing...
Yeah, I recently had a falling out with a friend who's in a similar situation. She has a weirdly codependent relationship with her family (to the point where she feels responsibility for thing that aren't her issue,) she complains about it often, but she never does anything to change. I got sick of hearing about it.

Old 04-19-2018, 11:58 AM

7,235 posts, read 7,043,473 times
At 56 he's unlikely to change, or figure out a reason why he's so unhappy.

Old 04-19-2018, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Some people just complain, habitually, but don't want to change anything...
He seems to be unhappy mostly with the weather, but that's obviously not enough to make him move.
Wondering/insinuating that he is a gay is totally inappropriate for a friend. Obviously you're not that close of a friend, if you don't know.
Ok, #1. We have been Best Friends since 1980
#2. I did not "insinuate" he was gay. I said I often wonder but if doesn't Matter To Me If He Is. I have plenty of friends, gay and not gay.
#3. I simply asked if anyone else had a friend that does this.

I didn't come on here to have someone like you act like you know me or this relationship.
Good Grief.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships