Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2018, 08:25 AM

3,568 posts, read 1,346,473 times

Advertisements

"Work in progress"?
ROFL!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2018, 08:29 AM

8,085 posts, read 5,249,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsRick24 View Post
A so-called friend threw a get together. I found out after the fact. Okay. Now last year I was invited. I went, enjoyed, all fine and dandy.

This time, I wasn't invited. Okay, so I said, half seriously, "Sorry I missed out". The so-called "friend" comes back with, "I had family there...and it's rude to invite yourself!" First of all, I never invited myself anywhere - and I made this clear. So they said, "Well sorry but I just don't think you are much of a social contribution!" So I went off on them and said a few not so nice things...and ended with<bleep> and the high horse you rode in on, you (fill in the colorful blanks)! Obviously, I cut the person off from my circle.
One of the person's friends contacted me and started to say a few choice words but I came back with, "You know where to find me. Come say it to my face!" A real friend of mine, hearing this, said, "And what if (name) does come to you?" I know that they won't, but given the disrespect, and my easy-to-lose temper, for a brief moment I was ready to cool someone.

I know, I'm still a work in progress, but again, I still keep a bad temper in the face of disrespectfulness
And you wonder why you were not invited?

Your own friend put you in your place.

Work in progress? Enough already. You're plenty old enough to get your shat together already.

Last edited by Miss Blue; 05-01-2018 at 06:41 AM..

Old 04-30-2018, 08:32 AM

6,039 posts, read 6,055,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by applej3 View Post
"Work in progress"?
ROFL!!
+1. OP, do you like laying out your lack of progress for the negative feedback you get?

Old 04-30-2018, 08:44 AM

188 posts, read 203,010 times
Quote:
A so-called friend threw a get together. I found out after the fact. Okay. Now last year I was invited. I went, enjoyed, all fine and dandy.

This time, I wasn't invited. Okay, so I said, half seriously, "Sorry I missed out". The so-called "friend" comes back with, "I had family there...and it's rude to invite yourself!" First of all, I never invited myself anywhere - and I made this clear. So they said, "Well sorry but I just don't think you are much of a social contribution!" So I went off on them and said a few not so nice things...and ended with<bleep> and the high horse you rode in on, you (fill in the colorful blanks)! Obviously, I cut the person off from my circle.
One of the person's friends contacted me and started to say a few choice words but I came back with, "You know where to find me. Come say it to my face!" A real friend of mine, hearing this, said, "And what if (name) does come to you?" I know that they won't, but given the disrespect, and my easy-to-lose temper, for a brief moment I was ready to cool someone.

I know, I'm still a work in progress, but again, I still keep a bad temper in the face of disrespectfulness
What I'm getting from your post is that you were hurt that you weren't invited to a party, and your passive-aggressive and childish reaction was to say, "Sorry I missed out" to your friend as if you'd been entitled to an invite. They, unsurprisingly, didn't take the jab well, and pointed out that you weren't invited because it was a family gathering and you aren't much of social contribution. And now you think they're the horrible and disrespectful person and you're the victim.

It's good that you are self-aware enough to realize you're "a work in progress" and have a "bad temper," but I'd like to point out that your bad temper wasn't in response to disrespectfulness. Your friend wasn't being disrespectful--you responded to a perceived slight/hurt feelings/disappointment with a bad temper (i.e. being passive-aggressive and childish) and they felt like they were being attacked/scolded and became defensive. You might need to reflect on what really gets you in a bad temper.

Last edited by Miss Blue; 05-01-2018 at 06:42 AM..

Old 04-30-2018, 08:56 AM

16,421 posts, read 12,510,794 times
Quote:

Seems to me that you started the disrespectfulness with your passive-aggressive comment about "sorry I missed out" Just because your friend has a get together that you attended last year, that doesn't mean that you get to assume that you would be invited this year. They are free to invite (or not invite) whoever they want. They clearly wanted to make it more of a family event this year.

It's pretty clear why they didn't want you there.

Technically you may not have invited yourself, but you did ASSUME that you should have been.

Last edited by Miss Blue; 05-01-2018 at 06:43 AM..

Old 04-30-2018, 09:07 AM

14,784 posts, read 24,090,712 times
well why do you even care what this so called friend says ? I think someone who has the nerve to say that to you is not really a friend and just ignore them go out and make new friends . so what she did not invite you big deal . Obviously this so called friend thinks rather highly of themselves and to me that is not a true friend .

Old 04-30-2018, 09:16 AM

1,734 posts, read 1,203,228 times
Quote:

For the life of me, I cannot understand why you tell stories on yourself like this.

Surely you can't think you come off well in this one or some others recently.

Last edited by Miss Blue; 05-01-2018 at 06:43 AM..

Old 04-30-2018, 10:14 AM

50,795 posts, read 36,486,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by applej3 View Post
"Work in progress"?
ROFL!!
We are all works in progress, it is a well known phrase from self-help books, etc. What's wrong with that?

Old 04-30-2018, 10:16 AM

16,421 posts, read 12,510,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
well why do you even care what this so called friend says ? I think someone who has the nerve to say that to you is not really a friend and just ignore them go out and make new friends . so what she did not invite you big deal . Obviously this so called friend thinks rather highly of themselves and to me that is not a true friend .
I think someone who has the nerve to get bent out of shape over someone changing the guest list from last year's event and inviting more family is not really a friend.

Old 04-30-2018, 10:19 AM

3,568 posts, read 1,346,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
We are all works in progress, it is a well known phrase from self-help books, etc. What's wrong with that?
Uh... I'm aware what the phrase means.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships