Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2018, 09:12 PM

15,252 posts, read 12,967,886 times

Advertisements

She vanished in Washington, DC. in 1979. And now three sets of skeletal remains have turned up in Southeast Washington.

It's early days yet. And it may very well turn out that none of them are her. There aren't even many people left to have closure. Her brother (my ex) is dead, as are her parents.

There must be hundreds of people wondering if this discovery will close a sorrowful chapter in their lives.

Do you have a vanished person? Have you ever stopped thinking about them?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2018, 09:17 PM

6,301 posts, read 4,197,862 times
What a terrible loss and never knowing I don’t imagine loved ones ever stop thinking of those who are missing.

Old 05-06-2018, 06:40 AM

5,451 posts, read 4,054,839 times
A high school friend has a niece who has been missing for over 30 years, she disappeared as a young teen. Very frustrating for the family. The police totally bungled the investigation at the time.

I hope your family can get some closure.

Old 05-06-2018, 07:56 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 8 days ago)

35,633 posts, read 17,968,125 times
I truly hope you are able to learn what happened to her.

I'm really interested in missing persons, and "located" persons websites, and matching them up for the benefit of those left behind.

Especially Tim Miller, and his tireless work with his nonprofit Equusearch.

Hope you get your questions answered.

Edited to add:

Fluffy, I located the news story about the 3 sets of remains you're referring to. It sounds like those remains are much more recent? Or maybe they're just saying "more than a year old" as a huge general statement, and the remains could in fact be as old as your SIL's.

Old 05-06-2018, 08:14 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,318,759 times
What a sad thing for you and her family always wondering what happened to her. I think it must feel worse than finding a body right away because you're always living in a sort of limbo. What were the circumstances of her disappearance?

Old 05-06-2018, 10:00 AM

19,480 posts, read 25,159,022 times
While I personally have not known anyone that went missing that has happened in my extended family.

A cousin of my mother went to work one morning in the 1940s and just disappeared. Even many decades later I would overhear relatives discussing the mystery and wondering what happened to her and saying that they missed her. They said that her behavior was "odd" the last few days before she disappeared and that on the last day she kissed her young children and said "Good-bye" to them twice before she walked out the door (and that was unusual).

My husband's grandfather's brother traveled out of state when he was in his 20s, again in the 1940s, and was never heard from again. Even when the grandfather was in his 80s he talked about how he missed his brother and how he wished that they had done more to try to find him.

Old 05-06-2018, 10:00 AM

4,927 posts, read 5,316,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
She vanished in Washington, DC. in 1979. And now three sets of skeletal remains have turned up in Southeast Washington.

It's early days yet. And it may very well turn out that none of them are her. There aren't even many people left to have closure. Her brother (my ex) is dead, as are her parents.

There must be hundreds of people wondering if this discovery will close a sorrowful chapter in their lives.

Do you have a vanished person? Have you ever stopped thinking about them?
fluffy, this is a difficult post to respond to as it so very personal to you and thus makes it difficult to move beyond I am sorry to read this, so very sorry and saddened.

I don't have a vanished person in my life and cannot begin to imagine how traumatic this must be for you and your loved ones.

I hope there comes a resolution to this mystery for the families and friends one way or another for them, to have closure. It certainly will not bring comfort but knowing is better than not knowing. Bless you all and best wishes as well, sincerely.

I hope this is not offensive in any way as that is not my intention but I did come across these articles recently while looking up other things of interest. Perhaps it could be helpful.

NamUS National Missing and Unidentified Persons System

https://www.namus.gov/

Detectives Reluctantly Accept Psychic Tips During Investigations

read:http://mysteriousuniverse.org/2013/0...nvestigations/

Old 05-06-2018, 11:09 AM

8,590 posts, read 12,350,394 times
My biological grandfather was "missing" for 20 plus years. Fortunately I had a step-grandfather that was wonderful and my other grandfather.

I was aware that he was missing from a very early age and sometimes dreamed of meeting him. I also felt bad for my father as he just disappeared out of his life with no contact or reason. Grandfather's siblings couldn't even contact him when his mother passed.

He called my dad when I was in my early 20's. We met him and his current wife later that year. Of my 4 siblings, only my brother really thought of him as a grandfather. He was only 5 or 6 at the time. He kept in contact for about 8 or 9 years. My parents visited him in CA and met his wife's children. They visited my parents. All seemed well. He was at my wedding. He met the first two great grandchildren. Then he just stopped contact again. Although his step-children and wife had my parent's number, they never contacted my dad when he died. I do wonder if they were worried my dad would make some claim to his estate. Never would have happened as my dad wasn't interested in it, and there wasn't much there anyway.

Old 05-06-2018, 11:53 AM

13,754 posts, read 13,326,193 times
I hope they identify the remains. What a sad thing to have happen.

My sister and I have a half brother who was sent to live with his real mom when my dad died. I was 3. I have love in my heart for him. I may have found him and send occasional letters but with no reply. The letters aren't returned. I hope he is well and I hope he knows I love him.

Old 05-06-2018, 02:04 PM

3,754 posts, read 4,241,982 times
I am sorry for your family's loss.

Missing persons happen more often than you'd think, like along coastal areas where someone will get swept out to sea if they're not paying attention to the waves, and if no one sees it happen, those bodies are rarely recovered.

I think the only thing worse than losing someone is not having a definitive answer as to what happened, as your imagination can run wild with some of the worst things possible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships