Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2018, 09:58 AM

11,087 posts, read 17,542,940 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
I notice all the local markets are having good sales on steaks. So I guess for Father's Day, daddy gets to fire up the grill and cook his own dinner.

Maybe that beats another new tie?

For Mother's Day, mom gets jewelry and taken out to dinner. For Father's Day, Dad has to cook for the family. I think maybe daddy is getting shorted on the holiday thing.
I disagree. Sure, Dad has to cook for the family. But that means the family is with him for the day. That feeling wins out over having to cook. Plus, if they're like me, I'll take any excuse to fire up the charcoal!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2018, 10:55 AM

4,927 posts, read 5,315,080 times
Well for us the only father in our extended family is that of a 90 year old gentleman who still drives to his favorite restaurant every single morning of the week, been doing it for decades. He sees some of his buddies up there and has a great rapport with the owner and staff as well.

He's not interested in technology at all, TV and that's it. For his birthday this year I purchased a gift certificate from there for him and he really appreciated it (not because he can't afford to eat there) but rather because it was actually something he used.

We always have a dinner for him (birthday and Father's day) and this is what I will do again for Father's day.

Old 06-16-2018, 05:54 PM

2,744 posts, read 4,234,676 times
Not all dads like to grill on Father's Day, any more than mothers want to cook on Mother's Day. Hell, I don't really enjoy grilling.

My family is serving me brunch. After we are taking the pontoon out on the lake.

After that, out to dinner at a lake side sea food restaurant with good craft beer.

Last edited by warren zee; 06-16-2018 at 06:44 PM..

Old 06-16-2018, 06:11 PM

7,087 posts, read 8,636,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kygman View Post
My parents weren't anywhere near as wealthy as your dad, but, in their 80s, they pretty much had everything they would want and need. My brother always told our dad (and our mother on Mother's Day) that we didn't know what to get somebody who had everything. He just about always told us the same thing, "Just drop by and say hi." Of course, dropping by to say hi would mean my mother saying I'm sorry I don't have a thing fixed to eat, then pull out enough food to feed the Mormon Tabernacle Choir for three days. lol
Haha that's awesome, yeah that's more or less what my dad says, he just wants to spend the time together. That part is easy, I can make that happen, well at least while I'm still living in the same city anyway.

My dad even annoys me with the little gifts though because he's one of those people who has an impression of himself that's just not true. He thinks he is really open minded and "just wants to watch a good movie," but he basically stopped growing with the times when it comes to movies. I have shown him several of the best horror films of the past 10 years, and he hated them all, kept talking about The Exorcist which is definitely not at all scary in 2018. It's a well made movie, I like the music, it's a classic of the genre, and I appreciate it. But it was also like 50 years ago. The same is true of many other entire genres, which as a movie buff isn't something I can understand. He basically won't watch sci-fi, he doesn't care about superhero movies, even just a general action film probably won't interest him, but maybe if it was something specific that you'd never know. Like he's been watching some show on Netflix about fighting terrorists, I forget what it's called, a one word name though starting with an F. He showed me the first episode. His movie tastes are entirely unpredictable and I feel like he's the typical old person who mainly wants to watch a boring adult drama, which is like watching the grass grow 75% of the time.

Then he even complains that he doesn't love getting physical books (I don't either) because he'd prefer to have them on his iPad. I completely understand that, but it's not easy to gift someone books in that fashion, either.

Old 06-17-2018, 05:46 AM

6,562 posts, read 8,393,687 times
We’re taking my Dad out for lunch (Mom, too) and I bought him a side table to sit next to his recliner. It’s something my mom told me he wants.

Old 06-17-2018, 05:58 AM

50,374 posts, read 63,993,273 times
My husband doesn’t like cooking on the grill, so ours stays covered most of the time.
I’m taking him out for breakfast, and then cooking one of his favorites for dinner. He got a card and a bag of candy from me. The kids will call or text him.

Old 06-17-2018, 07:29 AM

9,879 posts, read 14,128,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
I notice all the local markets are having good sales on steaks. So I guess for Father's Day, daddy gets to fire up the grill and cook his own dinner.

Pretty sexist to assume his wife can't/ won't grill up those steaks.

Old 06-17-2018, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
Pretty sexist to assume his wife can't/ won't grill up those steaks.
I don’t think it’s sexist. Women are smart enough to cook in air conditioned houses instead of standing outside over a hot grill.

Old 06-17-2018, 02:48 PM

9,879 posts, read 14,128,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I don’t think it’s sexist. Women are smart enough to cook in air conditioned houses instead of standing outside over a hot grill.

And steaks actually taste better seared in a pan and finished under the broiler in a kitchen. Original OP premises that steaks = work for Dad is still a bit sexist.

Old 06-17-2018, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
And steaks actually taste better seared in a pan and finished under the broiler in a kitchen. Original OP premises that steaks = work for Dad is still a bit sexist.
I hear ya.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships