Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2018, 03:32 PM

6,806 posts, read 4,490,703 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernbelleinutah View Post
you should talk to her about the older one abusing the younger one. If she rushes you off, contact cps.

This. ^^^
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2018, 05:13 PM

10,551 posts, read 4,081,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
What did the other people at the barbecue do - how did they react?
I talked to someone else who is at the party, and they told me to just leave it. The family is not American raised, and they tell me they have different standards and calling the cops will only make things worse. Either way, I'm going to go tomorrow to the police and let them know what I saw.

Old 07-15-2018, 05:35 PM

6,313 posts, read 4,218,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warhorse78 View Post
I talked to someone else who is at the party, and they told me to just leave it. The family is not American raised, and they tell me they have different standards and calling the cops will only make things worse. Either way, I'm going to go tomorrow to the police and let them know what I saw.
Not American raised! What country are they from? Not sure I’m buying that horsepoop.

Old 07-15-2018, 06:29 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,677,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
I think people should stop tossing around the word "abuse" so readily.

I think the thing to have done would have been to talk to the mother strongly at the time, and if she still shrugged, talked to the little sister. Of course, you're right that the anger might have been turned on you, but you would have been better able to defend yourself, and possibly other guests would have then stepped in.

Unfortunately, it sounds as if you don't know the mother well, and you're not in a position to talk to her after the fact, nor do you know enough about the situation to call Protective Services.
What a ridiculous response.

You don't have to know someone "well" when you see a child physically assaulted. That's exactly what this was.

And if this is what goes on in front of other people who aren't even family, imagine what goes on when they're alone. And the reaction of the mother which should have been horror, was nonchalant, again showing this is common behavior.

Maybe you sit on your hands and are a sheeple, but don't give out that advice to others. The only part you got right is it usually takes just one person to speak up to get others to follow.

Sounds like the OP is going to take some action as they should.

Old 07-15-2018, 06:30 PM

9,511 posts, read 6,127,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
I think people should stop tossing around the word "abuse" so readily.

I think the thing to have done would have been to talk to the mother strongly at the time, and if she still shrugged, talked to the little sister. Of course, you're right that the anger might have been turned on you, but you would have been better able to defend yourself, and possibly other guests would have then stepped in.

Unfortunately, it sounds as if you don't know the mother well, and you're not in a position to talk to her after the fact, nor do you know enough about the situation to call Protective Services.
If the word "abuse" is problematic, with OP's stated location of Florida; the word "Felony" would apply:

"A person who knowingly or willfully abuses a child without causing great bodily harm, permanent disability, or permanent disfigurement to the child commits a felony of the third degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082, s. 775.083, or s. 775.084."

If a person DOES cause great bodily harm, permanent disability, or permanent disfigurement to the child, they have committed a felony of the first degree.
https://www.ndaa.org/pdf/ncpca_statu...ault_aug09.pdf

Additionally:

"Neglect of a child means ... A caregiver's failure to make a reasonable effort to protect a child from abuse, neglect, or exploitation by another person. Neglect of a child may be based on repeated conduct or on a single incident or omission that results in, or could reasonably be expected to result in, serious physical or mental injury, or a substantial risk of death, to a child.

A person who willfully or by culpable negligence neglects a child without causing great bodily harm, permanent disability, or permanent disfigurement to the child commits a felony of the third degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082, s. 775.083, or s.775.084"

Okay, that's actually two felonies. Or one each. You know; personally, I'd have flipped my lid if one of my adult kids had ever been physically abusive towards their younger siblings.

It's one thing if my 24-year-old & 23-year old son would get worked up at each other & if they did I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have a chance to raise an eyebrow before a couple of their older siblings would step in between them. And I think once or twice my twin daughters may have pulled hair or gotten into a shoving match before the age of 10 but that does not compare to a 22-year-old on an 8-year-old, WTH!

Old 07-15-2018, 06:34 PM

10,349 posts, read 13,989,572 times
Quote:
I was recently at a friend's BBQ when all of a sudden her 22 year old daughter went into a rage after her 8 year old sister, grabbing her by the hair and holding her while she kept on punching the side of her arm. I was so stunned with this, and it took a brother who is 18 to pull the older sister off of the younger one. While the little girl sat by the pool holding her arm and crying, her mother just shrugged her shoulders and figured she probably got into something she wasn't supposed to.

Isn't this child abuse? I felt so bad, but I don't know what to do. I felt so helpless that if I stood up and tried to stop it or question it, then the anger would be turned on me. What would any of you do in this situation?
Call CPS on this piece of ****.

Old 07-15-2018, 07:04 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,360,237 times
Tough situation. What's going to happen after cps gets involved? Would things be better or worse for the child? I wish her teachers saw and reported. I feel like they are trained on how to respond. I hope it's not the kind of culture that feels it's okay to abuse, maim or honor kill family members.
Big sister sure got away with it. And in front of so many onlookers. That girl has no one to protect her.

Old 07-15-2018, 08:27 PM

9,446 posts, read 6,596,635 times
I would call cps on the 22yo adult daughter and the mother. The 22 yo committed the assault and the mother didn't protect the 8 yo.

Old 07-16-2018, 01:04 AM

919 posts, read 611,637 times
It's straight out abuse
What's not being American got to do with anything? If they don't know how to behave like civilised people then it's about time that they learn.
The most disturbing aspects is that an adult attacked a child, no-one intervened to protect the child & the mothers reaction would suggest this was a common occurrence.

How would I react? Probably due to the fact that I was physically abused quiet brutally & frequently as a child, the several times that I've seen a child being assaulted by a parent in public, I snap without thinking, get in the adults face & make them aware in no uncertain terms that their behaviour is unacceptable & if I see it again I'll give them a dose of their own medicine. Not one has back answered me (No-doubt because I'm a large bloke who's clearly angry at the time)

For evil to prevail good men (& women) need do nothing. Now that the opportunity to intervene has passed, I'd definitely advise to make a report to the appropriate authority. God knows what's happening to the poor girl behind closed doors.

Old 07-16-2018, 01:08 AM

2,709 posts, read 2,287,617 times
Quote:
Look, I know this isn’t the ‘Politics’ forum, but I am so sick of hearing the ‘ they do things different in their country’ B.S. Mistreatment of children, women, and animals is not acceptable behavior in THIS country, that should be the bottom line.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships