Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2018, 04:44 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,748,461 times

Advertisements

No, no, no, OP. I would have told that animal to take her to the back of the line and I don't take too kindly to strangers touching me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2018, 04:47 PM

6,305 posts, read 4,199,353 times
I had someone do this years ago and the shop assistant saw it but started to serve her and I said “err I don’t think so,I’m not chopped liver thanks” and placed my order and told the assistant she can serve the person when it’s HER turn.

It’s hard to know what to say when someone is so blatantly rude but a smile and a “sheesh I haven’t done the bump for years , sorry your disco move isn’t going to work today “ works too. You can be nasty and perhaps cause a scene, you can ignore it and help enable people like her to do it again,or you can use a bit polite humour and stand your ground.

Old 08-18-2018, 04:48 PM

6,305 posts, read 4,199,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
Sometimes standing your ground with an almost stupidly direct stare at the rudeness is all it takes. You aren't attacking anything, you aren't lowering yourself to the same level, you behave as if the person didn't quite register because they were so unbelievably arrogant.
Yes this too

Old 08-18-2018, 07:49 PM

30,639 posts, read 18,235,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spuggy View Post
I had someone do this years ago and the shop assistant saw it but started to serve her and I said “err I don’t think so,I’m not chopped liver thanks” and placed my order and told the assistant she can serve the person when it’s HER turn.

It’s hard to know what to say when someone is so blatantly rude but a smile and a “sheesh I haven’t done the bump for years , sorry your disco move isn’t going to work today “ works too. You can be nasty and perhaps cause a scene, you can ignore it and help enable people like her to do it again,or you can use a bit polite humour and stand your ground.
I primarily see this when I'm shopping at ethnic supermarkets and I'm the only one of my race/ethnicity shopping there. But I always let the clerk know (even if they don't speak English) of my displeasure and proceed to place my order as it should have been placed. Its bizarre that some people think they can be rude and inconsiderate like this. I'd want to think it was cultural differences, but the people were clearly taking advantage of the fact that I was not "like them" as they didn't do that to anyone else in the store.

Old 08-18-2018, 08:01 PM

3,320 posts, read 5,571,777 times
Years ago I would have taken it personally and been ticked off. Now I think I would just let the person go ahead.

As they say - 'everyone is fighting some kind of battle'. Maybe this person is going through something I can't even imagine.

I choose to not be in a hurry much anymore and it makes my life so much better!

Old 08-18-2018, 08:24 PM

32,658 posts, read 48,053,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinivanDriver View Post
I kind of believe that bad manners fester when we allow them. ...........

The problem is that there is no way to know who is self-centered and rude and who is crazy to the point that they are dangerous. I suspect that has a lot to do with backing away and letting them get away with such bad manners when it doesn't really matter much.

Old 08-18-2018, 08:45 PM

5,182 posts, read 5,253,359 times
Congratulations to OP for letting it slide. It took balls. I would have too, but 20 years ago would've started a war. In old age now, it just ain't worth it.

And keep in mind, there'll come a day when a person like this pulls this stuff with the wrong one, and will pay the price. That thought often consoles me.

Old 08-18-2018, 09:25 PM

2,483 posts, read 2,475,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvert Hall '62 View Post
And keep in mind, there'll come a day when a person like this pulls this stuff with the wrong one, and will pay the price.
I'm not saying we should live in fear, but I never understood why this doesn't deter more people from being mean/rude to strangers.

BTW: Seeing you and Tinawina in same thread brought back memories of the Baltimore forum days.
Good to see you're still doing OK, getting those food drops out in the mountains....

Old 08-18-2018, 09:34 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,111,286 times
I had something similar happen to me going through security at FLL airport.

I made a very big scene and the airport security/police came over, I explained what happened and they pulled her out of line.

Old 08-19-2018, 06:03 AM

19,387 posts, read 6,505,945 times
I had something similar happen also. A guy just walked right up in front of me and but in line, so I pointed and said, "the line starts back there." He said.....get this....."LINES ARE FOR SUCKERS" and then chuckled. (I'm a middle-aged woman, and that makes this even worse in my opinion.)

I made a big stink, and the cashier ended up telling the guy he'd have to go to the back of the line.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships