Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2018, 03:14 PM

20,764 posts, read 19,976,767 times

Advertisements

You mooch of your parents, so you all deserve each other.

Or did you move out of your parents basement and got a job?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2018, 04:07 PM

52,278 posts, read 52,700,922 times
I couldn't imagine people bragging about mooching off of their parents. What a bizarre concept to me. If anything I'd keep it on the DL if my parents were helping me extensively.

Old 08-30-2018, 01:53 PM

3,166 posts, read 3,360,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
You mooch of your parents, so you all deserve each other.

Or did you move out of your parents basement and got a job?

If I could, I would give you negative reputation for your comment that isn't true. I NEVER once ask my parents to financially bail me out or to pay for my car. So, be nice. My friend told me his father bought his mobile home in a trailer park.... He has no clue how to budget his money and is in way over 15k in debt.

Old 08-30-2018, 02:16 PM

9,732 posts, read 4,063,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyFarm34 View Post
I think it's okay to help someone temporarily when a family member or friend is suffering a lengthy illness or sudden job loss. This is different.

Although, some may say it's none of my business when someone mooches off their parents or another friend because they want to keep up a certain lifestyle, hobbies or have no common sense how to budget their money.

I can't help feeling resentful and thinking they need to grow up. I have one friend who has such low self-esteem, he allows his roommate friend and others mooch off of him. It's so bad that he is in deep dog poo well over 15K. I've tried talking to him and it had done nothing. That friend is putting himself at risk for future financial elder abuse. The same friend has confided that his elderly father has bailed him out at times financially so his father is only enabling his money problems and allowing others mooch off of him.

Welp, I have no sympathy for him. He needs to pull his head out of his a$$, take a look around and see what wth is going on then kick these parasites to the curb. Enough said.

Old 08-30-2018, 03:31 PM

20,764 posts, read 19,976,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyFarm34 View Post
If I could, I would give you negative reputation for your comment that isn't true. I NEVER once ask my parents to financially bail me out or to pay for my car. So, be nice. My friend told me his father bought his mobile home in a trailer park.... He has no clue how to budget his money and is in way over 15k in debt.
I never said you asked your parents for money.

I said you mooch off them by living at their home and not supporting yourself. I am guessing - but not sure - you eat your parents food, don't pay proper rent, and get driven around with their car.

If you live away from your parents, pay your own rent, utilities, and food - then you get to complain about moochers.

Old 08-30-2018, 07:27 PM

3,166 posts, read 3,360,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
I never said you asked your parents for money.

I said you mooch off them by living at their home and not supporting yourself. I am guessing - but not sure - you eat your parents food, don't pay proper rent, and get driven around with their car.

If you live away from your parents, pay your own rent, utilities, and food - then you get to complain about moochers.
Wrong again... I pay monthly rent, eat my own food and drive myself to places with my own car. I get S.S.D.I due to disability being profound Deaf. So, quit assuming you know everything about me.

Old 08-31-2018, 09:27 AM

3,426 posts, read 3,344,904 times
By 21 we were all independent. By this I mean at or before that age I and my siblings had our own respective places independent of our dad. Dad was a very independent, self-sufficient man and he instilled that in all three of us (his children).

Now, my 44-year old nephew (my sister's son) lives in his mom's basement. He has three children of his own (youngest living with him) and has a first grandchild on the way. I say nothing, 'cause it's none of my business!

Old 08-31-2018, 10:11 AM

11,087 posts, read 17,545,902 times
Only "friend" I had who did something like that ended up in jail. His mother went to assisted living and he started going through all her money, and selling a lot of her valuables. She noticed her money disappearing, did a little detective work on her own, and had her own son arrested. He'll be out of the state pen in a few more years.

Old 08-31-2018, 11:11 AM

3,073 posts, read 1,682,636 times
I go out of my way to avoid these people in my life. I allow no one, not even family, to move in "temporarily" with me, and in the very rare times that I've loaned money I always gave a deadline on when to pay it back (only once did someone not do it and she never asked again).

My husband had an extended relative, someone that he really doesn't know and hasn't seen in decades, call up here about 2 weeks ago needing a place to stay overnight. He was driving up here to get his brother out of jail or something. But my husband was due to leave town early next morning and he wanted to go to bed early. I didn't want him here, Period. So ... he told him no.

Old 08-31-2018, 11:52 AM

52,278 posts, read 52,700,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckystrike1 View Post
I go out of my way to avoid these people in my life. I allow no one, not even family, to move in "temporarily" with me, and in the very rare times that I've loaned money I always gave a deadline on when to pay it back (only once did someone not do it and she never asked again).

My husband had an extended relative, someone that he really doesn't know and hasn't seen in decades, call up here about 2 weeks ago needing a place to stay overnight. He was driving up here to get his brother out of jail or something. But my husband was due to leave town early next morning and he wanted to go to bed early. I didn't want him here, Period. So ... he told him no.
I wouldn't ask someone to stay overnight like that. I never got how people seem to expect other to provide some kind of flop house for them. I would never ask a friend or a relative for something like that. I'd rather just find a motel 6 or something like that for just a simple overnight stay. I like my own privacy and feel like I'm putting people out if I asked them if I could stay over. It's really more for my comfort, to be honest. I just prefer it. Most people don't think this way, I've known far far more people that have no qualms at all about inviting themselves to stay with others. I mean are people that broke that they can't afford a hotel room, especially for shorter stays?

My dad used to always want me to stay at his house when I went and visited him from out of state. I appreciated the offer but I just wanted to stay in a hotel room and do my own thing. He'd go to bed around 8:30 at night so we'd go back to the hotel room and do our own thing. I didn't want to go sit in the bedroom while the house was empty and everyone else went to bed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships