Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2018, 01:25 PM

11,558 posts, read 12,055,996 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phillyguy19102 View Post
I'm really not interested in people droning on about their cats and dogs.
This! And then taking out their phone and expecting you to fawn over the latest photos of their pet(s).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2018, 02:34 PM

23,310 posts, read 18,852,325 times
Well, we could be brutally honest here and admit that any topic other than the one WE bring up might be considered boring. We all know how fascinating our own topics are to us, including but not limited to:

Your personal health problem du jour.
Your personal vacation story.
Your personal sports achievement.
Your personal pet.
Your personal children.
Your personal financial genius.
Your personal workplace drama.

You get the drift...

Last edited by Parnassia; 09-02-2018 at 02:49 PM..

Old 09-02-2018, 03:41 PM

15,590 posts, read 15,677,065 times
The only thing I can think of that's intrinsically boring is when a guy talks about his car.

Other than that, the boredom is usually because the person is boring, not the subject.

Old 09-02-2018, 03:45 PM

12,043 posts, read 8,425,882 times
I much prefer talking about concepts, theories, ideas than people, places and things but as long as there's a relatively reasonable measure of give and take in a conversation most anything can be tolerable if not entertaining.

There's talking with and there's talking at.

Old 09-02-2018, 04:18 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Money! I don't mean how much they have, but the constant injection of how much everything costs.

Old 09-02-2018, 04:20 PM

26,655 posts, read 28,691,193 times
My most hated topic of conversation hasn't been mentioned yet. It's when a person starts telling you in detail about a dream they had. See...they were in an airplane and they were sitting there...or, wait, they were looking out the window...and, oh, I almost forgot...we were late getting to the airport and then we were in the wrong seats.

But then I was looking out the window and I saw this...well, let's see. I can't quite remember but I think maybe it was a cloud. Yeh, a cloud in the shape of a...of, well, hmmmm. Oh, now I remember! A cloud in the shape of a cat! It reminded me of a cat I used to have. Do you think this means anything? (Now they want to to analyze their stupid dream, as if it's of any interest to anyone!)

Old 09-02-2018, 04:29 PM

8,047 posts, read 10,638,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
TV shows I don't watch.
Oh my gosh I know.

I had a terrible time going in to work for awhile a couple of years back when a large group of of my co-workers were watching that God-awful Duck Dynasty stupid show. I had no interest in it, didn't care, didn't want to know about it, but that's all they talked about every day. One of my co-workers actually had the audacity to bring in the first season for me on DVD so I could "catch up".

Old 09-02-2018, 05:02 PM

11,638 posts, read 12,709,490 times
Went through the thread a second time, laughed some more and repped everyone I didn't get the first time around.

Old 09-02-2018, 05:44 PM

8,272 posts, read 8,657,742 times
I used to work with a woman that always talked about her daughter playing high school softball. After a few days I mentioned my niece made All County and is getting some good college offers. She never mentioned her daughter again. I don't have a niece.

Old 09-02-2018, 05:55 PM

1,347 posts, read 945,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marie Joseph View Post
Another one is idle gossip about what is going on in the community. I find it boring to listen to discussion about who is marrying who, remarks about how someone is probably cheating on their spouse, and so on.
Ah yes, this reminded me - the small town gossip... please spare me, I don't care to walk through the re-constructed history of who's who, or which Smith kid was in the same class, and that they lived in the yellow house on the corner and then he married the Jones girl... ugh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phillyguy19102 View Post
I'm really not interested in people droning on about their cats and dogs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rummage View Post
People talking about drinking. How drunk they got, how drunk they will get, and what their favorite bar is. Don't even realize they have a problem. I know this couple, they have a drink with every meal except breakfast. It's totally gross.
Thank you, I had forgotten about pets and drinking. Add those to my list. On a side note, I can also do without tales of stupid stunts or pranks people did in their younger days (yes, I'm a stick in the mud).

I have to admit, I'm genuinely surprised at the number of times sports has been mentioned. I need all you folks in my life instead of all the ones around me the drone on endlessly about the latest game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
I can listen to anyone about anything in moderation, but please know your audience/listener. If they don't have a similar experience/frame of reference/background, don't ramble on endlessly. If they have never met the person that you are talking about, keep it short. For some people it seems more important that they get out the words rather than to actually communicate something. Please, summarize and stick to the main points, as if you were taking a test and had to pick the best choice for the main idea of the above paragraph.
^^^^^ This. It is phenomenal how many people either cannot or choose not to read the facial expressions and body language of their audience to see if they should adjust the speed and/or content of their stories.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships