Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2018, 04:16 PM

4,413 posts, read 3,472,468 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter Sucks View Post
Another person mentioned that the dip they had out was "too spicy" for them...no different than me saying something was too sweet for my tastes.

It is so different than saying

Quote:
How do you tactfully tell people that they can bake with less sugar and it will still taste good? Most baking recipes contain way too much sugar and it's so unhealthy. For the past few years I've been cutting the sugar in baking recipes in half. Last week I was at a family gathering and someone made cookies and urged me to try one. Someone else said to me, "Aren't they good?" They were sugar overload. I said, "They're good, but I'm not used to my cookies so sweet". Someone else rolled their eyes. The family is very overweight with health problems.

In another situation, I'm in a group and we bring cookies to share at Christmas time. I would also like to nicely tell these ladies that they could cut back on the sugar.

The person with the dip didn't try to tell someone else that they should change the recipe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2018, 04:17 PM

1,734 posts, read 1,203,228 times
How about if you wait until someone says, "Wow! These are delicious!" – well, there's your opening.

Old 09-23-2018, 04:20 PM

1,914 posts, read 2,243,800 times
Quote:
But I'm the one organizing it...and it's after exercise class so I thought mentioning a healthier way to bake wouldn't be wrong. Maybe it never occurred to some people that you don't have to follow a recipe to the letter.

It is unlikely that people interested in a cookie exchange want to learn how to bake cookies with less sugar or less anything else. It is also unlikely that they care how you like your cookies. They like what they like, and probably do not need anyone's advice on what they "should" like.

Old 09-23-2018, 04:28 PM

16,421 posts, read 12,510,794 times
A cookie exchange after an exercise class?? That makes as much sense at the gym I used to attend that would give out free pizza.

Old 09-23-2018, 05:03 PM

716 posts, read 557,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
A cookie exchange after an exercise class?? That makes as much sense at the gym I used to attend that would give out free pizza.
It's a once a year event at Christmas time. There's not cookies every week.

And there ARE ways to bake healthier...which is my point.

Old 09-23-2018, 05:08 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,382,658 times
Quote:
It's a once a year event at Christmas time. There's not cookies every week..
Then it's fine for them to be loaded with sugar. It's only once a year. If you want healthy, don't eat cookies at all.

Old 09-23-2018, 05:39 PM

1,516 posts, read 1,248,669 times
Quote:
But I'm the one organizing it...and it's after exercise class so I thought mentioning a healthier way to bake wouldn't be wrong. Maybe it never occurred to some people that you don't have to follow a recipe to the letter.
Why do you feel the need to push your agenda on them? If you don't want to exchange unhealthy cookies then drop your cookie exchange.

Another thing about baking, there's a science to it. You can't just remove a foundational ingredient without adding something else to replace it, and even then the texture and taste won't be the same. Average people are not necessarily skilled bakers or cooks, which is why many will stick to the recipe. If you've dabbled in it and screwed up your recipe enough to know where you can remove or replace, then by all means go for it. But I can understand why some people wouldn't want to deviate from a recipe if they aren't skilled in it... especially if they are going to give those cookies to another person to enjoy.

Old 09-23-2018, 05:52 PM

48,532 posts, read 34,851,331 times
Quote:

And THEIR point is that they don't want them to be healthier.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 09-23-2018, 05:57 PM

16,421 posts, read 12,510,794 times
Quote:

Yeah because there isn't nearly enough crap food to avoid at Christmastime ... an exercise group should add more.

And you're certainly welcome to bake healthier. But it's not your place to convince everyone else to do the same. If you don't like the sugar level of other people's cookies, don't have a cookie exchange. Do an ornament exchange.

Old 09-23-2018, 05:58 PM

17,743 posts, read 9,192,519 times
Winter Sucks, it's not your place to tell them how to bake their cookies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships