Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2018, 08:44 PM

22,278 posts, read 21,725,695 times

Advertisements

Are you enjoying all this attention, OP?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2018, 09:08 PM

37 posts, read 18,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
Are you enjoying all this attention, OP?
I'm considering some of people's responses, yes.

Old 10-15-2018, 09:34 PM

37,611 posts, read 45,988,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaofan View Post
This is not the reasoning of an adult. It is the reasoning of an immature adolescent still under the impression that he or she is the center of the universe while at the same time believing everyone is laughing at them for participating in something "sappy." Adults recognize the value of these events. They do not consider them "sappy" or an "eye roll." (Seriously. That's the reasoning of a 12-year-old).
Words outta my mouth.

A "grown up" my foot.

Old 10-15-2018, 09:48 PM

10,895 posts, read 7,386,537 times
It seems like a lot of posters believe that all mothers are created by hallmark.

My mom's abuse was subtle. She ground my self esteem and self confidence into the dirt without other people noticing. Even I didn't realize how bad it was until I was in my 40s. Best thing I ever did for myself was to cut her out of my life.

OP, just say no, you'd rather not. If she's like my mom, you'll be reviled no matter what excuse you give her, and if you actually walked her down the aisle, she'd criticise how you did it then try to rope you into some other unpleasant, thankless task.

Old 10-15-2018, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post
It seems like a lot of posters believe that all mothers are created by hallmark.

My mom's abuse was subtle. She ground my self esteem and self confidence into the dirt without other people noticing. Even I didn't realize how bad it was until I was in my 40s. Best thing I ever did for myself was to cut her out of my life.

OP, just say no, you'd rather not. If she's like my mom, you'll be reviled no matter what excuse you give her, and if you actually walked her down the aisle, she'd criticise how you did it then try to rope you into some other unpleasant, thankless task.
My mother is like that. It was never enough.

Old 10-15-2018, 10:28 PM

6,300 posts, read 4,196,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turntable View Post
My mother is like that. It was never enough.
So now you are saying she emotionally abused you. keep changing the goalpost

Old 10-15-2018, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spuggy View Post
So now you are saying she emotionally abused you. keep changing the goalpost
I never changed the goalpost. You can hurt people in many different ways in the name of religion to prove your worth or prove your devotion. Instead you have already made up your mind that she was a parent who never did anything wrong by me and I just out of nowhere decided to cut them off. I don't care what you think. I still am not believed by many people and that's fine. It made me angry in the past but that goes nowhere.

My question which was answered sufficiently was about how not why which more people focused on and I have to explain my past which I decided to put behind me and move forward. There are always stupid people in this world though.

Last edited by Turntable; 10-15-2018 at 10:48 PM..

Old 10-15-2018, 10:46 PM

6,300 posts, read 4,196,397 times
Quote:
I never changed the goalpost. You can hurt people in many different ways in the name of religion to prove your worth or prove your devotion. Instead you have already made up your mind that she was a parent who never did anything wrong by me and I just out of nowhere decided to cut them off. I don't care what you think. I still am not believed by any people and that's fine. It made me angry in the past but that goes nowhere.

My question which was answered sufficiently was about how not why which more people focused on and I have to explain my past which I decided to put behind me and move forward. There are always stupid people in this world though.

You were not upfront in your original post that would allow anyone to understand the context. Sheesh ! It’s hardly surprising people have trouble believing you.

Old 10-15-2018, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spuggy View Post
You were not upfront in your original post that would allow anyone to understand the context. Sheesh ! It’s hardly surprising people have trouble believing you.
It really isn't relevant. What does my childhood have to do with how to decline a role in a wedding?

Old 10-15-2018, 11:33 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,156,596 times
Quote:
It really isn't relevant. What does my childhood have to do with how to decline a role in a wedding?

Because your reasons for not wanting to be a part of your mom's
wedding were superficial and not believable. It is obvious you are estranged from your family but it is not clear why. It seems to have something to do with your mother's religious beliefs. But you are not alleging abuse or intense indoctrination.

If I understand you correctly, you feel you have forgiven her but do not want reconciliation. If that is the case, then I agree with another poster that you should tell her this. But I also agree that this will cut you off from your family. So--count the costs.

OP, if you would go to her if she were direly ill, then I think you should do as she asks. I also think it would be OK to ask to be a guest, and not a member of the wedding party.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships