Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2018, 05:15 PM

6,190 posts, read 7,973,967 times

Advertisements

Over the last year my mom has gotten into the habit of texting me and demanding that I do something and then blowing up my phone when she’s gets angry that I can’t.

Like the other day she texted me and told me I was picking up my grandmother from some meeting, she didn’t even ask me if I was available to do so.

It’s becoming more and more frequent and asinine, like texting me in the morning to come make my grandmother food again without even asking me what I’m doing or if I’m available to come do so.

Every time she does this I always ask “Did you bother checking to see if I could first?” and then let her know if I can’t.

I was at the doctor the other day listening to my phone go off like someone had died and it was something my mom could have easily done herself.

How do I kindly get across to her that texting me out of the blue, telling me to do something without asking is rude and inconsiderate?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2018, 05:29 PM

5,401 posts, read 6,533,648 times
Are you in her employ?

A college student financially dependent on her?

If you are neither, text her back...I am unavailable. Keep doing that every time she demands you do something.

As it stands, she has you trained to jump.

17,743 posts, read 9,202,314 times
Well, don't you think you should help out with your grandmother? That shouldn't just be you mother's responsibility.

13,981 posts, read 25,958,820 times
Are you working now? Why can't you help out the grandmother who has been very, very good to you?

Old 11-02-2018, 05:31 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,958,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by historyfan View Post
Are you in her employ?

If you are neither, text her back...I am unavailable. Keep doing that every time she demands you do something.

Not even close. This grandmother has been the jumper for years. Check out the OP's posting history.

Old 11-02-2018, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by historyfan View Post
Are you in her employ?

No my mother moved in with my grandmother back in August.
My boyfriend and I are financially dependent on our selves.

Old 11-02-2018, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post
Well, don't you think you should help out with your grandmother? That shouldn't just be you mother's responsibility.
Oh but I do. I help her quite frequently, I help my grandmother more than my mother does.

This is about my mom texting me, not even asking me if I’m available before she just tells me what to do.
Then getting angry when I’m busy.

I’m at the physical therapist 3x a week and the other day I was at the therapist and she got pissed because I couldn’t help her.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
Are you working now? Why can't you help out the grandmother who has been very, very good to you?
I have been and I do.
My mom lives with my grandmother and rarely does anything for her.

Texting me at 9am to come make my grandmother breakfast when I live 15 minutes across town because my mom doesn’t feel like getting out of bed is a joke.

Old 11-02-2018, 05:43 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,955,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txtqueen View Post
How do I kindly get across to her that texting me out of the blue, telling me to do something without asking is rude and inconsiderate?
You can't.

It sounds like she doesn't believe that manners apply to family.

Old 11-02-2018, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
Not even close. This grandmother has been the jumper for years. Check out the OP's posting history.
My grandmother has let us live in an old house in desperate need of renovation that would have otherwise sat vacant until my great grandmothers death 1 3/4 years ago because she forbid anyone to sell it before she died.

We pay all utilities and have taken over paying the property tax.

Old 11-02-2018, 05:47 PM

I inherited a money pit. My name is now even on the deed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships