Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2019, 01:47 PM

538 posts, read 386,210 times

Advertisements

My sister treats my family and I badly. It’s always about her. Never makes time to visit or plan anything. I have been there for her for so many issues but she won’t be there for me. She is 41 and has had about 7 different boyfriends in the past 10 years and many before that. She would fight with all of them. One time police were involved and I had to get her at the station. Or my parents would drive out to her if there was a blow out fight with one of them. She has lived at least 10 different places in the last 10 or 15 years also. She would kick a boyfriend out and then couldn’t afford the place. She blew off so many friends....some cut her off but most just keep wanting her approval. She is a dance teacher and people take her classes think she is the most wonderful person and kiss her ass. Online she posts things like “Water brings out what is truth. Connecting waves of energy in fluid motion.” And people response with how inspiration she is and her magical spirit. She can throw a party and it’s packed with all her students, other coworkers, people she will just meet in the store etc.... I really wish she was wonderful and she warranted this admiration but she is so cold towards me and all her boyfriends I’ve witnessed her with. Getting mad for no reason. So fake in front of people she is trying to impress but once you get in really close with her she is cold or blows you off. She managed to keep a few close friends from childhood but have treated them bad throughout the years yet they stick around. She lies a lot also. When she has plans with a someone and doesn’t want to follow through with the plan she will lie and say she is with me because “she hasn’t spent time with me in a while” or say that to me to get out of plans as well. (By saying she hasn’t seen him or her in a while. She could be a lot of fun when we hang out and then all of a sudden get in a bad mood and be silent or just tell me to leave for no reason. She has done that with many boyfriends as well. Sometimes I can talk to her and she is sounds very happy talking really fast and then next time completely dull. But when she is in front of her many admires she is “on” so friendly amd almost over the top.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2019, 01:53 PM

3,025 posts, read 2,243,900 times
Some people aren't great at relationships. She could stink at that but still be a great and inspirational dance instructor.

Old 08-15-2019, 01:53 PM

13,262 posts, read 8,036,382 times
Do you think she might be bipolar?

Old 08-15-2019, 01:55 PM

538 posts, read 386,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
Do you think she might be bipolar?
Yes. A few people have said that. She is on depression meds and she drinks and smokes pot a lot which I know can be part of it.

Old 08-15-2019, 02:19 PM

23,320 posts, read 18,890,074 times
You've described this sister several times before OP. If it wasn't just venting what will change? If she's not changing maybe you need to. Change where and how she occupies space in your life. That, at least is within your control.

Old 08-15-2019, 02:26 PM

8,620 posts, read 5,659,486 times
I know someone just like this. The person I know is a narcissist and also alcoholic. It's hard to believe when people go on-and-on about what a wonderful person she is - I always wonder who they are talking about, because the person I know is awful (and mean).

The person I know has lots of male suitors - so she must have sex appeal - it's something about chemistry, appeal, or charisma - or being attracted to dysfunction, I don't know.

I have decided that we all live in alternate realities - that we know different facets of people than other people know.

Old 08-15-2019, 03:59 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,184,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
I know someone just like this. The person I know is a narcissist and also alcoholic. It's hard to believe when people go on-and-on about what a wonderful person she is - I always wonder who they are talking about, because the person I know is awful (and mean).

The person I know has lots of male suitors - so she must have sex appeal - it's something about chemistry, appeal, or charisma - or being attracted to dysfunction, I don't know.

I have decided that we all live in alternate realities - that we know different facets of people than other people know.
You know, you might be right. Perhaps we all live in our own individual realities. Good insight there.

Old 08-15-2019, 04:33 PM

1,153 posts, read 568,008 times
Narcissists are often loved by people who don't know them well enough to know what they are really like, and they treat people like ****

Old 08-15-2019, 05:17 PM

9,301 posts, read 8,353,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adriank7 View Post
My sister treats my family and I badly. It’s always about her. Never makes time to visit or plan anything. I have been there for her for so many issues but she won’t be there for me. She is 41 and has had about 7 different boyfriends in the past 10 years and many before that. She would fight with all of them. One time police were involved and I had to get her at the station. Or my parents would drive out to her if there was a blow out fight with one of them. She has lived at least 10 different places in the last 10 or 15 years also. She would kick a boyfriend out and then couldn’t afford the place. She blew off so many friends....some cut her off but most just keep wanting her approval. She is a dance teacher and people take her classes think she is the most wonderful person and kiss her ass. Online she posts things like “Water brings out what is truth. Connecting waves of energy in fluid motion.” And people response with how inspiration she is and her magical spirit. She can throw a party and it’s packed with all her students, other coworkers, people she will just meet in the store etc.... I really wish she was wonderful and she warranted this admiration but she is so cold towards me and all her boyfriends I’ve witnessed her with. Getting mad for no reason. So fake in front of people she is trying to impress but once you get in really close with her she is cold or blows you off. She managed to keep a few close friends from childhood but have treated them bad throughout the years yet they stick around. She lies a lot also. When she has plans with a someone and doesn’t want to follow through with the plan she will lie and say she is with me because “she hasn’t spent time with me in a while” or say that to me to get out of plans as well. (By saying she hasn’t seen him or her in a while. She could be a lot of fun when we hang out and then all of a sudden get in a bad mood and be silent or just tell me to leave for no reason. She has done that with many boyfriends as well. Sometimes I can talk to her and she is sounds very happy talking really fast and then next time completely dull. But when she is in front of her many admires she is “on” so friendly amd almost over the top.
Yikes, one of those, eh? So exhausting...

Old 08-15-2019, 05:22 PM

9,301 posts, read 8,353,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carly1983 View Post
Narcissists are often loved by people who don't know them well enough to know what they are really like, and they treat people like ****
Yep. I see that a lot...

I think it has something to do with self importance, self esteem, self focus and grandiosity.They seem nice from a distance, but get close and then that's when the nightmare begins.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships